Strongest division foe?

Success

10 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Maybe because we aren't talking about last year and the Pats did nothing to address an aging defense in addition to losing their best CB, had a suspect draft at best and are a dumpster fire at OC with multiple defensive coaches acting as defacto OC.

Jets drafted well, improved down the stretch last year and have a more physically talented QB, and likely more offensive upside.

We'll see, I couldn't disagree more. That ageing defense absolutely stopped the Jets last year, twice. The offense put on a show. The Jets drafted some nice rookies.

The strongest division foe has to be Miami at this point. They have two electric WR's in Waddle and Hill. Both of them could take any of Tua's dink and dunk passes to the house. They also still have Gesicki at TE and Hunter Long was one of the top TE prospects in the 2021 draft whom they selected last year. We'll also see how well McDaniel can implement that Shanahan run scheme in Miami. They have a decent stable of RB's now, but no one worth talking about. Their defense is middling, but not bad by any means. I think their peak is 10 wins, but they could also only win 7 or 8. Everything is still on Tua though and he hasn't shown anything to make me think he will pose a serious threat. 

The Pats are barely ahead of the Jets at this point imo. Mac Jones is another decent QB with underwhelming arm strength. Devante Parker is an upgrade to their receiving corp and Bourne showed pretty well last year, but the offense is still lacking. They have a couple of decent RB's in Harris and Stevenson. They overpaid both Hunter Henry and Jonnu Smith last year in FA, but neither of them really lived up to the hype either. Their Secondary also took a big hit when JC Jackson went to the Chargers. Judon is another year older, McCourtey the same, and Dugger has been meh for the most part. Nothing about their team scares me anymore in the slightest. I think at most they win 9 games, but more likely 7 or 8. 

The Jets had a REALLY good draft this year. They added guys who could be difference makers on both offense and defense. Saleh and Douglas could be building something there that may turn out well after their years of futility. Carter and Breece Hall could make for a nasty backfield duo. Elijah Moore, Corey Davis, Garrett Wilson, Denzel Mims, and Braxton Berrios has the makings of a solid WR group. They signed Uzomah in FA and then drafted Ruckert from Ohio St. for TE's. They have Lawson coming back fully healthy and Jermaine Johnson had some excellent tape last year at Florida St. in there Edge group. Quinnen Williams, Sheldon Rankins, and Solomon Thomas are solid on the interior. Ahmad Gardner is an immediate upgrade at CB, and I love the kid's talent, but we'll see how he fares facing the best of the best week in and week out. The NFL is quite a step up from the American Athletic Conference. Also, he's out here writing checks with his mouth that he won't be able to cash. Diggs is going to eat him alive just to prove a point and you best believe Diggs is going to let him know about it while it's happening. I think the Jets will win 7 or 8 games this year. Just like with any other team though it will depend on the QB, Zach Wilson for them. They better hope he's added about 15-20lbs of muscle this offseason and they better hope his understanding of NFL defenses has come a looooong way. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, NewEra said:

Maybe not for 2022, but more so for the next 5 years, I’ll go with

Bills

Jets

Fins

Pats.  

i like Wilson more than Tua and Mac.  I think he has the most upside by a wide margin.  They have a potentially great OL, WRs, Rb and TE unit if guys progress like many think they will.  I like Douglas more than the other GMs in the division.  

I almost put Miami 2nd but it came down to Wilson > Tua.  Love their weapons. Love their offensive system and I think McDaniel is going to be a solid coach.  Solid D. 

I think the pats blew their draft and didn’t address the team speed on D like I thought they would.  Adding 2 midget corners won’t cut it.  

Off topic, I think we might have the worst OL in the division.  

I agree with the sentiment here. I think for 2022 it is Bills, Fins, Jets, Pats.... but looking at the next 3-5 years I have the Jets 2nd too. A lot depends on Wilson, obviously, but he has the ceiling to be a Matt Stafford type QB - which is higher than Tua and Mac. I also like Douglas more than the other GMs and I like Saleh personally too. 

On the oline.... hmm... the Jets line really depends on what happens with Becton. At the moment they are a lot stronger than us on the interior but a lot weaker at tackle if Becton doesn't get back to his proper weight and form. The Dolphins it is the opposite, I like Armstead and Eich as their tackles, but their interior leaves a lot to be desired. The Pats have lost two excellent guards but right now with Wynn, Brown, Andrews and Onwenu I'd say they have 4 proven established good starters and that is probably the most in the division. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

IMO:

The Dolphins are the largest immediate threat and could be a problem.

I kind of discount the Patriots, but really, you cant count them out until Belichick is retired.  Objectively, they seem like kind of a mess right now and for the future.  

The Jets should be better.  Out of the Dolphins/Pats/Jets I actually think the Jets may have the best 2-5 year outlook.  I like Wilson's ceiling above the other 2.  For this season though Id still be shocked if they were better than Miami let-alone Buffalo

For now I say the Bills are still the clear cut #1 but it's questionable by how large of a margin.

Where I'm torn is between the Pats/Dolphins in terms of who is #2 and the biggest threat to the divison title.

Right now I would lean towards the Dolphins because they've had a great offseason and have a very stacked roster on paper but at the same time Belichik is still lurking and I think Mac Jones is going to take another step next year.

As for the Jets, they certainly can surprise but hard to seem them being a real threat for the playoffs this year given the strength of the division and AFC as a whole. They certainly added some big time talent on paper though in the draft and will probably be a tough out week in and week out similar to our season finale matchup last year.

In Saleh, we are talking about a 2nd year defensive coach who finished with the 32nd ranked defense and a Qb with everything to prove, and a Shanahan-disciple offensive OC, who mostly failed to install a successful offense.

In McDaniel the Phins have a rookie HC and a Qb with everything to prove, hoping to have success installing that same Shanahan style offense. Would it be shocking if they defensively regressed without Flores?

These two teams have to find success against Buffalo and NE who have excellent defensive schemes and coaching.

Offensively, the Pats haven’t announced an OC but have Patricia, Judge and Bellichick all ‘contributing’. They will miss their former OC and have no game breaking weapons.

All of these teams will hope to shorten the game by running the ball, and playing possession ball. They don’t have stellar RBs (Taylor,Henry) and they won’t frighten Buffalos pass defense with downfield threat like Kc.

If Buffalo succeeds in getting ahead, none of these teams are well equipped to keep up.

Edited by Seoulofstone

18 hours ago, LeviF said:

I can’t believe all the love the dolphins are getting. Can’t wait until tyreek is bitching about tua in week 6. 

Final standings:

Bills 13-4

Pats 9-8

Jets 7-10

Phins 6-11

Levi, other then QB the Phins team is pretty stacked on both sides. Miami went 9-8 last year with a way better team this year. makes 0 sense

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree with the sentiment here. I think for 2022 it is Bills, Fins, Jets, Pats.... but looking at the next 3-5 years I have the Jets 2nd too. A lot depends on Wilson, obviously, but he has the ceiling to be a Matt Stafford type QB - which is higher than Tua and Mac. I also like Douglas more than the other GMs and I like Saleh personally too. 

On the oline.... hmm... the Jets line really depends on what happens with Becton. At the moment they are a lot stronger than us on the interior but a lot weaker at tackle if Becton doesn't get back to his proper weight and form. The Dolphins it is the opposite, I like Armstead and Eich as their tackles, but their interior leaves a lot to be desired. The Pats have lost two excellent guards but right now with Wynn, Brown, Andrews and Onwenu I'd say they have 4 proven established good starters and that is probably the most in the division. 

Agree with most of this.

Don't forget Miami added Conner Williams to OG. He is an excellent pass blocker. They made protecting Tua a priority. They also have two WR who can make YAC to cover the downfield limitations of Tua.

4 hours ago, H2o said:

The Jets had a REALLY good draft this year. They added guys who could be difference makers on both offense and defense. Saleh and Douglas could be building something there that may turn out well after their years of futility. Carter and Breece Hall could make for a nasty backfield duo. Elijah Moore, Corey Davis, Garrett Wilson, Denzel Mims, and Braxton Berrios has the makings of a solid WR group. They signed Uzomah in FA and then drafted Ruckert from Ohio St. for TE's. They have Lawson coming back fully healthy and Jermaine Johnson had some excellent tape last year at Florida St. in there Edge group. Quinnen Williams, Sheldon Rankins, and Solomon Thomas are solid on the interior. Ahmad Gardner is an immediate upgrade at CB, and I love the kid's talent, but we'll see how he fares facing the best of the best week in and week out. The NFL is quite a step up from the American Athletic Conference. Also, he's out here writing checks with his mouth that he won't be able to cash. Diggs is going to eat him alive just to prove a point and you best believe Diggs is going to let him know about it while it's happening. I think the Jets will win 7 or 8 games this year. Just like with any other team though it will depend on the QB, Zach Wilson for them. They better hope he's added about 15-20lbs of muscle this offseason and they better hope his understanding of NFL defenses has come a looooong way. 

Yep, and while the Jets did lose Mayes, they added two legitimate NFL S in DJ Reed and Jordan Whitehead. Reminds me of when Buffalo added Poyer and Hyde who were good but not great and then drafted White to fit McDermott's defense. Like you mentioned, they get Lawson back to help them out, and moved up to take a flyer on Johnson who I think is boom or bust. CJ Mosley is no bum in the middle either and is a year removed from his injury. I think Saleh is getting the pieces he needs to put together a respectable Defense in the next season or two.

16 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

Agree with most of this.

Don't forget Miami added Conner Williams to OG. He is an excellent pass blocker. They made protecting Tua a priority. They also have two WR who can make YAC to cover the downfield limitations of Tua.

I was the ultimate Connor Williams flag waver coming out. He just holds a bit too much for me. He got called a lot last year and will get called more without the star on his helmet. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I was the ultimate Connor Williams flag waver coming out. He just holds a bit too much for me. He got called a lot last year and will get called more without the star on his helmet. 

I'll pay attention more for that when viewing the Dolphins.

IIRC the Dolphins were just one game out of the playoffs the last two years, and getting that close and falling back really hurts a franchise.  They've added several very good players but I haven't seen them perform as a team yet.  The HC carousel and drama there isn't going to help, either.  

The Jets are dropping great ingredients into their cooking pot, but they still have lousy cooks so the food will still be terrible.

It's the Pats who still have Belichick that are always the biggest threat.  The Bills pulled away last year when they beat the Pats in their second matchup, but if they'd lost that game who knows how the season would have ended.  When the season comes down to a single critical game, there will be years when the outcome doesn't go your way.

In 2023 though I think things will be different.  Miami will emerge and the Jets will be a lot less bad.

• Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.