Tarik Cohen potentially tears Achilles while live streaming workout

Dablitzkrieg

That poor bastard. He knew immediately he was screwed. That sounded brutal. I remember when I worked for UPS I was leaning against the dock with my chest area. I had a plastic pen in my chest pocket. I reached for a heavy package under the belt which pulled me up against the dock pretty hard. I heard what sounded like a pencil snap. Thought it was my pen at first. Nope, was a rib. I heard it and felt it snap. Was a gross feeling. 

22 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I had bad Achilles problems a few years ago from playing bball, and worries about the same thing. The ortho I saw basically said like 90% of tears are men between 40-50 who are weekend warrior athletes. That pretty much was me. 

I ended up doing tons of stretching to prevent against a risk of a tear. I now stretch my Achilles for like 30 minutes every night, and then before I play hoops in the mornings and then after. Makes a huge difference.

Smart.  Achilles have an outer sheath over the inner section.  If you get a lump on the outer part from overuse, heed the warning and back off.  Also the number of jobs where people sit wreak havoc on the hamstrings, calves, and Achilles.  Achilles heal slowly with no regular blood supply.  Painful watching that video.

• Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, Snappysnackcakes said:

I heard the pop but also heard Wet A** Pu**Y playing as his soundtrack. I can’t believe we’re dealing with a mental giant here, one who’s ensuring he’s properly stretched and prepared for such a workout. Sorry. 

You’re off to a great start … only took eight posts to annoy everyone 

21 hours ago, Snappysnackcakes said:

I heard the pop but also heard Wet A** Pu**Y playing as his soundtrack. I can’t believe we’re dealing with a mental giant here, one who’s ensuring he’s properly stretched and prepared for such a workout. Sorry. 

That really sucks...dude has been through so much and has kept a good attitude for the most part and worked hard to get back into shape.  Now he has another whole year of rehab and his NFL career is definitely in doubt seeing as it will be nearly 3 years since he last played once he is ready to take the field as long as there are no more setbacks.

On 5/17/2022 at 6:25 PM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I had bad Achilles problems a few years ago from playing bball, and worries about the same thing. The ortho I saw basically said like 90% of tears are men between 40-50 who are weekend warrior athletes. That pretty much was me. 

I ended up doing tons of stretching to prevent against a risk of a tear. I now stretch my Achilles for like 30 minutes every night, and then before I play hoops in the mornings and then after. Makes a huge difference.

I've heard professional athletes, namely Takeo Spikes, admit that he knew it was coming. Was battling through the precursors, kept pushing, and then *pop*...

Every time I get back into training, especially running, I have to navigate achilles and calf tightness/soreness/straining for a few weeks. Started in my senior year of high school after soccer season ended; I stopped continuously (and properly) training for much of the winter and then experienced enough setbacks at the beginning of track season (with coaches who simply didn't want to hear it) that I just walked (or limped) away from the team. 

Then in college I took up rugby, and despite loving it, was hindered enough by lower leg strains that I couldn't finish that season either. This was 25 years ago.

First 5k I trained for had me convinced I'd pop an achilles during the first few weeks of running. But at that point, in my 30s, I had the wherewithal to slow down, take precautions, and push through. Some years later I ran a fairly solid Boilermaker 15k (for an almost-40 yr old, 200+ lb guy who really isn't built for endurance sports). 

But then I had a kid, started working way too much, and now I'm petrified of running. Seems inevitable that I'll feel that dreaded *pop* someday.

8 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

I've heard professional athletes, namely Takeo Spikes, admit that he knew it was coming. Was battling through the precursors, kept pushing, and then *pop*...

Every time I get back into training, especially running, I have to navigate achilles and calf tightness/soreness/straining for a few weeks. Started in my senior year of high school after soccer season ended; I stopped continuously (and properly) training for much of the winter and then experienced enough setbacks at the beginning of track season (with coaches who simply didn't want to hear it) that I just walked (or limped) away from the team. 

Then in college I took up rugby, and despite loving it, was hindered enough by lower leg strains that I couldn't finish that season either. This was 25 years ago.

First 5k I trained for had me convinced I'd pop an achilles during the first few weeks of running. But at that point, in my 30s, I had the wherewithal to slow down, take precautions, and push through. Some years later I ran a fairly solid Boilermaker 15k (for an almost-40 yr old, 200+ lb guy who really isn't built for endurance sports). 

But then I had a kid, started working way too much, and now I'm petrified of running. Seems inevitable that I'll feel that dreaded *pop* someday.

i hear you. When my issues were popping up, I would play through the pain. Then, I just realized it wasn’t worth the risk and shut everything down for a while to get better.

I also made the decision that I can’t overuse my Achilles. So, I cut out all running and really any exercise I didn’t enjoy, and I also cut back on how much bball I played. My issues started happening when I thought I was Superman and would play a rec league game at night and then pickup ball the next morning. So no more of that. 

The other thing I do is basically wear these Achilles braces any time I am doing any sort of running or even hiking. 

15 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

You can say that again.

• Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i hear you. When my issues were popping up, I would play through the pain. Then, I just realized it wasn’t worth the risk and shut everything down for a while to get better.

I also made the decision that I can’t overuse my Achilles. So, I cut out all running and really any exercise I didn’t enjoy, and I also cut back on how much bball I played. My issues started happening when I thought I was Superman and would play a rec league game at night and then pickup ball the next morning. So no more of that. 

The other thing I do is basically wear these Achilles braces any time I am doing any sort of running or even hiking. 

Achilles running braces? 👀

On 5/18/2022 at 10:08 PM, Richard Noggin said:

Wow, that sounds really stressful. I feel like I'm really lucky because I've never had to deal with any achilles issues. I played a ton of sports all growing up. Now I only get to play occasionally.

I have dealt with my fair share of ankle injuries, though. When I was doing high jump in high school I would always get really bad shin splints. But I'd take those issues any day over achilles issues.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.