Why would you fight to defend the United States?

Here’s a question for you:

Assume the following:  The Chinese have secret built 10,000 ships.  Carrying two million soldiers and necessary war materiel, the ships are crossing the Pacific Ocean toward the United States.  The Chinese have hacked U.S. systems so that our military is unable to take out the ships on the ocean.  The Chinese will invade the west coast of the United States in a week.

The question is this:  Do you enlist?

Will you do whatever is necessary to defend the United States?

I’m here to talk to the people whose answer is “yes.”  If your answer is “no,” you’re free to have your opinion, but I’m not here to argue with you. 

If you’re answer is “yes,” you will be fighting beside men and women, Black and white, Hispanic or not, Christians, Jews, Muslims, and atheists, Republicans and Democrats, even Chinese-Americans.  They would fall on a grenade for you, and you for them.

What are the things that we have in common that would bring us together to defend our country? 

I’ve been thinking about that question.  The simple answer is patriotism.  We love our country and we will defend it.  But there must be more than that.  Russians are patriots, too.  They love their country and would defend it, but we think we have something more that’s worth defending.  

What is that all of us value that would make us fight to the death to protect it? 

My first answer is liberty.  We cherish our freedom, and we cherish our country’s promise of freedom for all.  Even those Americans who have at least some reason to believe that they aren’t as free as others cherish the promise and the prospect of freedom. 

My second answer is democracy.  We will fight for our country because in the United States, unlike in China, the general public can choose the people who will run the government. 

My third answer is world peace.  Whether the United States is the best, or the only, or the last, chance for world peace, we’re the country the world is counting on.  We’re the country that, when the war is over, leaves foreign soil to be governed by those who live there.  We’re the country that created and still makes a good effort at living the ideal – life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. 

What else is it that you and all those different Americans would fight for, side-by-side?

If there was a draft...

I am 2-A.  I work for the DoD in an essential gov't role.

https://www.sss.gov/about/return-to-draft/#s3

Anyway... I would just be asked to be deployed like people do in my job right now... If they could spare (only so many of can be deployed due to staffing) me.

As we speak... Still begging people to be deployed overseas... Iraq, etc...

Simple answer for me.

Yes.

Absolutely.

Already did it, and having done it, came t the realization that it is worth it.

Concisely, learning what I did as an officer, being at sea, having access to what was really going on day to day, further committed me to thinking it was worth everything.

Some things in life are worth defending so that other people, if you don't survive, can live.

• Like (+1) 1

Without hesitation I would defend the heck outta this land, our freedom and our American way of life. 

That being said, it would be nearly impossible to invade this country 

• Like (+1) 1

I would enlist.

This country means so much to me, to my ancestors, to my progeny.  I can't see it any other way.  Sure I like to rabble rouse a bit, but I'd rather go to war with a filthy Dem on one side and a deplorable on the other than see this great country fall.

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Oh great! The Bills finally have a decent shot at making it to the Super Bowl and NOW we get into a world ending war? Figures! 

Better an invasion of 2,000,000 Chinese than another SB loss.  

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Thanks for the responses.   Good to hear people saying they'd step up. 

I was hoping people would talk about what we all have in common, what would make whites and Blacks, liberals and conservatives, stand together. 

Good topic Shaw...I, too, have thought about this topic a few times, and interestingly, I’ve had a few different answers...

And if I’m being 100% honest, I cannot say if I would join the military to defend the country...I’m in my 40s and not in best shape, physically...So, I think I would just defend my family and local community the best I could...

• Like (+1) 1

If they are resourceful, they will land in Mexico and come across the Rio Grande into Texas which will result in the Biden administration considering them asylum seekers rather than an invasion force.  And meet no resistance until they are flown by DHS on late night flights to various cities in the U.S. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Sign me up in a support role.
This is a good thought exercise. Nearly everything you hear on tv is about what divides us. In reality, if we talked with fellow Americans of whatever skin tone or from whatever state, we would find we have a lot in common. I think a lot of Americans don’t appreciate what we have in this country. We are a spoiled culture. If you travel to a poor 3rd world country, you will immediately appreciate this country more. Billions of people live with almost nothing by our standards, yet live happily. They struggle together. In America, we have so much, but seem to only focus on our differences. Sports are one of the few parts of American culture that unites us. 

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Thanks for the responses.   Good to hear people saying they'd step up. 

I was hoping people would talk about what we all have in common, what would make whites and Blacks, liberals and conservatives, stand together. 

Here is something I'm sure we all have in common.

When I leave my house, I don't see donkeys or elephants, I see neighbors.  I even say hello to the old Burney Bro down the street even though he wants to take all my money and build a road to nowhere.  We are all in 1 community, and it is large, so you will have the super crazies like me, and normal people like Tibs.  But we are all Americans, and that's what we have lost sight of.  Thanks Shaw for the thread.

I'm going to go punch a liberal nazi now. :)

• Like (+1) 1

I’m waiting for the generation who enlisted after 9/11 to finish their statements before I represent the generation who grew up watching Building 7 videos on YouTube. 

1 hour ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

If they are resourceful, they will land in Mexico and come across the Rio Grande into Texas which will result in the Biden administration considering them asylum seekers rather than an invasion force.  And meet no resistance until they are flown by DHS on late night flights to various cities in the U.S. 

Well, after all, isn’t this administration’s motto, “America Last”? 😉

• Like (+1) 1