Gunner's roster thread 2022

GunnerBill

5 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

Quessenberry is a lock. At least, he had better well be…. We’re in big trouble if this cat can’t play.

OMG, McKenzie and Crowder are locks too… you’re not doing a very good job at this….

AJ is also a lock, and there are various players that should be in blue not red…

I completely disagree with most of this assessment.

Your definition of "lock" is expansive. Basically anyone you think will make the team? There is NO scenario in which AJE isn't on the roster? NO scenario where Crowder, on a one-year deal, at a position of relative strength (and potentially less usage under Dorsey), doesn't make it? Quessenberry was the worst OT in the league last season in surrendering sacks, no? "He had better well be" a lock? Come on. Slow down and consider alternate realities where things go differently than your very confident predictions.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

His appearances at fullback were too rare too be meaningful. 14% of snaps.  He's not on the roster for that.  

Most teams don't bother with FB/H-back.  Sweeney had twice as many snaps.

Hey...don't even try and tell me you didn't like when he was split out wide 🤣

15 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The only one of those I strongly disagree with is Matakevich and Dodson. I do think Matakevich is by far the most likely of the backup linebackers to make the roster. All the others are options I considered when I put it together. 

I guess maybe the Dodson blue too. My point is that I actually think he is the “safer” of the 2. I think that they both make the team. My point was that they COULD look at some of those guys as similar and take the $2.5M in cap savings. I don’t think that it is likely but not impossible. 

12 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

This is my single biggest concern about this roster, and also a source of frustration about the relative lack of attention to an area which is critical to protecting Allen. Beane did say after the season ended, that we need to protect Allen more. This is the single area where I don't see his words followed by adequate action. '

Besides OL, I dont see any position as short staffed. 

I’m not even sure if they are bad. I think that they have a lot of guys that are similar. They are going to have to “rank” them over the next few months. That’s a little scary to me. As an example, Ford would have been “ranked” ahead of Bates last year at this time. Bates isn’t Larry Allen but he’s not bad. He’s way better than Ford IMO. The Bills are going to identify (and be right) about which 3 or 4 of those OL are best. 

33 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Your definition of "lock" is expansive. Basically anyone you think will make the team? There is NO scenario in which AJE isn't on the roster? NO scenario where Crowder, on a one-year deal, at a position of relative strength (and potentially less usage under Dorsey), doesn't make it? Quessenberry was the worst OT in the league last season in surrendering sacks, no? "He had better well be" a lock? Come on. Slow down and consider alternate realities where things go differently than your very confident predictions.

Just my opinion:

1. AJE is a near lock, he isn't  getting cut...I'd take that to the bank.  Heading into year 3, Beane isn't going to give up on him.  Maybe next year, if he doesn't perform.

2. Crowder is a surefire lock: Beane specifically signed him as our replacement in the slot.  Shakir is a 5th round pick, yes I have hopes for him, but historically Coach has brought rookies along slowly at WR and I'm not expecting our best slot WR to be cut.  Shakir will be the #4, just as Beane stated recently.

3. Quessenberry is 'meh': Agree he's not a lock, but likely one of our top 8.  I'd actually consider Ford more of a lock, go listen to Beane and he isn't going to give up on him yet.  Ford has 'starting talent', obviously not reached that potential, but hopeful with a healthy offseason+Kromer, it will make a difference.

Mentioned Ford above, but also would consider Moss and Hamlin locks.  Again, Beane didn't mince words saying Moss was still battling back from his ankle surgery.  Hamlin is going to eventually be a starter for us, maybe a season or two away.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

he’s never held.  Until he proves he’s capable, I don’t think he can be a lock.  

i like cam and I think he makes the team…. Unless Benford is corner only in McDs eyes.  At that point, they’ll be battling imo.  I don’t know enough about Benford to make a case for him except for his physical being. 

agreed.  We lost klein and replaced him with Bernard.  Unless Spector can challenge him, I think he’ll be back.  

if we keep with our current stable of DEs, he should def be on the team.  Hopefully von can teach Shaq and the kids some new tricks.  

I think you’re blinded by the speed.  I think he only has speed to offer ….. 

That said, if he can improve, with his speed and ability to play the boundary, he’d be a perfect fit in our offense.  I’m pulling for him, but if he doesn’t improve a good amount, he might best be IR’d to keep him away from other teams while he continues to work game.  I liken him to Robert Foster.   He’s got a chance, but he needs to put in the proper work.

I am Blinded by speed lol and Punt God? maybe its just me but I feel he is a generational type player that will punt lights out.

7 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

Quessenberry is a lock. At least, he had better well be…. We’re in big trouble if this cat can’t play.

OMG, McKenzie and Crowder are locks too… you’re not doing a very good job at this….

AJ is also a lock, and there are various players that should be in blue not red…

Just wait until the thing plays out and then come back and apologize

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I completely disagree with most of this assessment

SERIOUSLY DUDE? Do you watch Football?

Edited by PrimeTime101

Based on Beane's comments about Moss and the fact they will be in 2 TE sets more, I think Gilliam is finally cut and Moss makes the team. They keep 4 RB - Singletary,  Moss, Cook, and Jones.

I hate spending money on Special Teams but McD values the spots. That said I think Jones stays, and Kumerow and Matakevich are cut. I think some of those day 3 picks will end up being the core special teams guys for the next few years.

Haack is gone.

Strong chance White is on IR to start the season.

Last DL roster spot will be a battle between Epenesa and Phillips. I know they are different positions, but Basham and Settle probably can play inside or out. So I think it will come down to numbers. Do they want to carry an extra DE and hope Epensa gets better? Phillips might be the second best interior pass rusher. So I think they keep him and cut Epenesa. 

Ford is gone. He is truly awful. 

I know nobody around here wants to hear it. But Taiwan Jones will be here for Special Teams. If they didn't think he still had it in him for the role, they'd have let him walk instead of giving him another contract.

Every year he's been here posters have wanted to put him on the bubble and every Training Camp and Pre-Season he's been one of the protected veterans and has never sniffed the bubble they think he's on. He's more important to McDermott than fans view him to be. 

Edited by BillsFanForever19

20 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Sweeney cannot take Gilliam's spot. He is dreadful. He can't block. 

I think Crowder and McKenzie make the team too. I have them in blue because I can envision a situation for both where they don't. The chances are slim but they exist. Guys in blue are still guys I expect to make the roster. I'd be surprised if any of the guys in blue don't make it. But they are not "locks" in the way the guys in black are. 

9 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Can you guys elaborate these scenarios?

Last year we started with 6 WRs with Stevenson on IR, in second half of the season we kept 7 on the roster.

Crowder is a proven vet, who was very good with sub par QB play, has a very low cap hit (good reason to keep him) and almost the same dead money if cut (even better reason to keep him).

If he doesn't make the roster then we are keeping only 6 WRs and including Kumerow (who was so far apparently kept for his ST play) and Stevenson/Hodgins ahead of him? Sorry, I don't buy it. Doesn't make any sense to me.

If they want to keep either Stevenson or Hodgins, then we are either keeping 7 WRs (which I fully expect) or we find other ST solution and Kumerow is cut.

EDIT: Same goes for McKenzie, but ok, with him I can imagine some weird scenario where he doesn't make it. But the chances are som slim that he is a lock in my eyes too.

Edited by No_Matter_What

13 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I don't think cutting Matakevich will save anything.   I believe his agent re-structured it to make it so.

He has a $750K dead cap hit on a $1.65M base salary.  

If it saves anything it would be the difference between $915K and the non-vet minimum..........and normally vet min is about $1M but only counts around $600K against the cap.    Not sure how it works on salaries that low that are so little above the minimum.

Sportrac says that he has $3,250,000 cap hit and $750,000 dead money. So savings would be $2,5M minus guy who replaces him. That's still a lot of money in our cap situation.

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Last DL roster spot will be a battle between Epenesa and Phillips. I know they are different positions, but Basham and Settle probably can play inside or out. So I think it will come down to numbers. Do they want to carry an extra DE and hope Epensa gets better? Phillips might be the second best interior pass rusher. So I think they keep him and cut Epenesa. 

Last year we kept 11 DL players. This year we have 9 with relevant NFL experience including Epenesa, Phillips and Lawson. Why do you think any of these guys are fighting for "last DL roster spot"? They are locks imo unless somebody else is signed before the season. All other guys on the roster are fighting for possible 10th spot.

3 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I know nobody around here wants to hear it. But Taiwan Jones will be here for Special Teams. If they didn't think he still had it in him for the role, they'd have let him walk instead of giving him another contract.

Every year he's been here posters have wanted to put him on the bubble and every Training Camp and Pre-Season he's been one of the protected veterans and has never sniffed the bubble they think he's on. He's more important to McDermott than fans view him to be. 

Agreed. He gets older every year so the odds of him not making the roster go up, but on the other hand he got $650k guaranteed so I doubt they will cut him. We'll see.

9 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m not even sure if they are bad. I think that they have a lot of guys that are similar. They are going to have to “rank” them over the next few months. That’s a little scary to me. As an example, Ford would have been “ranked” ahead of Bates last year at this time. Bates isn’t Larry Allen but he’s not bad. He’s way better than Ford IMO. The Bills are going to identify (and be right) about which 3 or 4 of those OL are best. 

Hence my disappointment. There is no other position group on this team which has such uncertainties. Cant expect Allen to always mask the deficiencies. I realize the "value" may not have been there but I would have preferred an OL pick instead of Cook. I dont have anything against Cook, but protection is relatively more important. 

I still hope Beane can swing a trade or some aging vet comes free. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Can you guys elaborate these scenarios?

Last year we started with 6 WRs with Stevenson on IR, in second half of the season we kept 7 on the roster.

Crowder is a proven vet, who was very good with sub par QB play, has a very low cap hit (good reason to keep him) and almost the same dead money if cut (even better reason to keep him).

If he doesn't make the roster then we are keeping only 6 WRs and including Kumerow (who was so far apparently kept for his ST play) and Stevenson/Hodgins ahead of him? Sorry, I don't buy it. Doesn't make any sense to me.

If they want to keep either Stevenson or Hodgins, then we are either keeping 7 WRs (which I fully expect) or we find other ST solution and Kumerow is cut.

EDIT: Same goes for McKenzie, but ok, with him I can imagine some weird scenario where he doesn't make it. But the chances are som slim that he is a lock in my eyes too.

So my scenario essentially comes down to a logjam at slot receiver. It is basically thus, they are not cutting Shakir and so if:

- None of the three slot receivers win the return job; and

- None of the three convince as an option to play outside;

Then whoever is the less convincing of the two could be sacrificed to make room for Kumerow as a backup wide receiver and starting gunner (if he wins that job) and a third proper outside guy (whether that be Hodgins or Stevenson.)

I don't think it is particularly likely. I think they are both going to be on the team. But that is my scenario. 

3 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Sportrac says that he has $3,250,000 cap hit and $750,000 dead money. So savings would be $2,5M minus guy who replaces him. That's still a lot of money in our cap situation.

Last year we kept 11 DL players. This year we have 9 with relevant NFL experience including Epenesa, Phillips and Lawson. Why do you think any of these guys are fighting for "last DL roster spot"? They are locks imo unless somebody else is signed before the season. All other guys on the roster are fighting for possible 10th spot.

Agreed. He gets older every year so the odds of him not making the roster go up, but on the other hand he got $650k guaranteed so I doubt they will cut him. We'll see.

You may be right about the DL. When I last did the head count I thought they would add a NT in the draft and therefore had 1 too many. That said I think they have at least 1 if not two less DL this year.  The high number kept last year didn't really help and they got a little younger.

2 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Hence my disappointment. There is no other position group on this team which has such uncertainties. Cant expect Allen to always mask the deficiencies. I realize the "value" may not have been there but I would have preferred an OL pick instead of Cook. I dont have anything against Cook, but protection is relatively more important. 

I still hope Beane can swing a trade or some aging vet comes free. 

Agreed. I wanted OL in the second or third round. A lot will be determined on Spencer Brown. If he gets better and can play solid RT then I think the line will be ok.  they have enough options in the interior this year that they will find a reasonable starting 5

6 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Yeah you're right I think.   I'm hoping they feel that they can part ways.   Really want to see another boundary WR brought in.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.