Gunner's roster thread 2022

GunnerBill

1 hour ago, Fan in Chicago said:

This is my single biggest concern about this roster, and also a source of frustration about the relative lack of attention to an area which is critical to protecting Allen. Beane did say after the season ended, that we need to protect Allen more. This is the single area where I don't see his words followed by adequate action. '

Besides OL, I dont see any position as short staffed. 

Let's not forget how good a coach Kromer is...he will likely coach those guys up to perform pretty well if needed

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I used to do this thread each year but haven't done one for a couple of years. In a quiet moment yesterday afternoon I sat down with the roster and tried to work out where I think the decision points will come. So I thought I'd revive this thread as a way of helping crystalise my thoughts. 

Firstly, this is not a roster prediction, people will start putting together 53s at this stage but my view is always that those last handful of spots are really difficult to correctly forecast until camp and pre-season arrive. This is more about starting to focus in on where the position battles are and where the position v position decisions will come. 

Key - see colour codes below.... these are important, because red does not mean cut and blue does not mean on the bubble. 

BLACK - Guaranteed roster spot (excluding major injury or suspension)

BLUE - Probable roster spot

RED - Fighting for those last few spots

Quarterback

Josh Allen

Case Keenum

Matt Barkley

Running back

Devin Singletary

James Cook

+2 or 3?

Reggie Gilliam FB

Zack Moss

Taiwan Jones

Duke Johnson

Raheem Blackshear

Wide receiver

Stefon Diggs

Gabriel Davis

Khalil Shakir

+3 or 4?

Jamison Crowder

Isaiah McKenzie

Jake Kumerow

Marquez Stevenson

Tanner Gentry

Isaiah Hodgins

Neil Pau'u

Malik Williams

Tight End

Dawson Knox

O. J. Howard

+1?

Quintin Morris

Tommy Sweeney

Jalen Wydermyer

Offensive Line

Dion Dawkins 

Spencer Brown 

Rodger Saffold 

Mitch Morse

Ryan Bates

+4

Ike Boettger 

Tommy Doyle 

David Quessenberry 

Cody Ford 

Greg Mancz 

Bobby Hart 

Luke Tenuta 

Will Ulmer

Derek Kerstetter

Jacob Capra 

Alec Anderson

Tanner Owen 

Defensive Line

Ed Oliver 

Von Miller 

Gregory Rousseau

DaQuan Jones 

Carlos Basham Jr. 

Tim Settle

Jordan Phillips 

+3

A. J. Epenesa

Shaq Lawson 

Mike Love 

Eli Ankou

Kingsley Jonathan 

Brandin Bryant 

Linebacker

Tremaine Edmunds

Matt Milano 

Terrel Bernard

+3

Tyler Matakevich 

Tyrel Dodson

Andre Smith 

Baylon Spector 

Joe Giles-Harris

Marquel Lee

Cornerback

Tre'Davious White

Kaiir Elam

Taron Johnson

Dane Jackson

Siran Neal

+1

Christian Benford

Cam Lewis

Travon Fuller

Olaijah Griffin

Tim Harris

Nick McCloud

Safety

Jordan Poyer

Micah Hyde

+2

Jaquan Johnson

Damar Hamlin

Josh Thomas

Special Teams

Tyler Bass

Reid Ferguson

+1

Matt Araiza

Matt Haack

I make that 33 locks and 9 likelys leaving 11 spots for the rest to fight over. Obviously one of those is the winner of the punter battle - which I fully expect to be Araiza, but while the Bills are saying it is a camp battle they both have to be in red. That takes you down to 10 spots. At least 1 more linebacker, at least 1 more offensive lineman, at least 1 more safety and at least 1 more WR/RB.... that takes you down to 6 and then it becomes a question about which spots they want to prioritise having extra depth and special teams. I expect one of Kumerow and Taiwan Jones to make it as a starting gunner but unless Kumerow is legit the 6th best receiver (and maybe he will be) then I wouldn't expect both of them. I expect another corner to make it and Benford as the recent draft pick would seem to have the inside track and then I expect another tight end.... but I am not totally persuaded that guy has to come from the current roster. Could be an area where a vet shakes loose and the Bills scoop him up. 

So I took your list and edited slightly, hope you don't mind.

I went through all the positions and below the names in black added a number in Red that IMO will be the number of total players on the roster in each position group based off numbers they had in prior years and whats typical.  Taking your original 33 I added 20 more to bring the total up to the 53 man roster.  Likely some combination of the names in red and blue will be chosen. 

In the case of RB I put 2 or 3, WR I put 3 or 4 ? and TE 1?  I'm thinking will be a total of 6 additional players in those three position groups, how that exactly shakes out TBD.  Wouldn't be shocked to see one less DL and one more LB too.

2 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

This is my single biggest concern about this roster, and also a source of frustration about the relative lack of attention to an area which is critical to protecting Allen. Beane did say after the season ended, that we need to protect Allen more. This is the single area where I don't see his words followed by adequate action. '

Besides OL, I dont see any position as short staffed. 

Great post minus the bolded. We don’t have a backup boundary WR option other than Shakir…..and he might or might not be able to handle it. Kumerow isn’t a WR option imo.  Strictly ST.  

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I used to do this thread each year but haven't done one for a couple of years. In a quiet moment yesterday afternoon I sat down with the roster and tried to work out where I think the decision points will come. So I thought I'd revive this thread as a way of helping crystalise my thoughts. 

Firstly, this is not a roster prediction, people will start putting together 53s at this stage but my view is always that those last handful of spots are really difficult to correctly forecast until camp and pre-season arrive. This is more about starting to focus in on where the position battles are and where the position v position decisions will come. 

Key - see colour codes below.... these are important, because red does not mean cut and blue does not mean on the bubble. 

Quarterback

Josh Allen

Case Keenum

Matt Barkley

Running back

Devin Singletary

James Cook

Reggie Gilliam FB

Zack Moss

Taiwan Jones

Duke Johnson

Raheem Blackshear

Wide receiver

Stefon Diggs

Gabriel Davis

Khalil Shakir

Jamison Crowder

Isaiah McKenzie

Jake Kumerow

Marquez Stevenson

Tanner Gentry

Isaiah Hodgins

Neil Pau'u

Malik Williams

Tight End

Dawson Knox

O. J. Howard

Quintin Morris

Tommy Sweeney

Jalen Wydermyer

Offensive Line

Dion Dawkins 

Spencer Brown 

Rodger Saffold 

Mitch Morse

Ryan Bates

Ike Boettger 

Tommy Doyle 

David Quessenberry 

Cody Ford 

Greg Mancz 

Bobby Hart 

Luke Tenuta 

Will Ulmer

Derek Kerstetter

Jacob Capra 

Alec Anderson

Tanner Owen 

Defensive Line

Ed Oliver 

Von Miller 

Gregory Rousseau

DaQuan Jones 

Carlos Basham Jr. 

Tim Settle

Jordan Phillips 

A. J. Epenesa

Shaq Lawson 

Mike Love 

Eli Ankou

Kingsley Jonathan 

Brandin Bryant 

Linebacker

Tremaine Edmunds

Matt Milano 

Terrel Bernard

Tyler Matakevich 

Tyrel Dodson

Andre Smith 

Baylon Spector 

Joe Giles-Harris

Marquel Lee

Cornerback

Tre'Davious White

Kaiir Elam

Taron Johnson

Dane Jackson

Siran Neal 

Christian Benford

Cam Lewis

Travon Fuller

Olaijah Griffin

Tim Harris

Nick McCloud

Safety

Jordan Poyer

Micah Hyde

Jaquan Johnson

Damar Hamlin

Josh Thomas

Special Teams

Tyler Bass

Reid Ferguson

Matt Araiza

Matt Haack

I make that 33 locks and 9 likelys leaving 11 spots for the rest to fight over. Obviously one of those is the winner of the punter battle - which I fully expect to be Araiza, but while the Bills are saying it is a camp battle they both have to be in red. That takes you down to 10 spots. At least 1 more linebacker, at least 1 more offensive lineman, at least 1 more safety and at least 1 more WR/RB.... that takes you down to 6 and then it becomes a question about which spots they want to prioritise having extra depth and special teams. I expect one of Kumerow and Taiwan Jones to make it as a starting gunner but unless Kumerow is legit the 6th best receiver (and maybe he will be) then I wouldn't expect both of them. I expect another corner to make it and Benford as the recent draft pick would seem to have the inside track and then I expect another tight end.... but I am not totally persuaded that guy has to come from the current roster. Could be an area where a vet shakes loose and the Bills scoop him up. 

Great breakdown.  Thanks.  

my 2 cents-  

-moss vs Duke is going to be interesting.  I think Moss wins and Duke kicks rocks… unless we’re able to trade Moss if he performs well in preseason.

- Hamlin vs Johnson-  I would flip flop Hamlin to blue and Johnson to red.  Johnson is on the last year of his deal and he has t-rex arms.  I’m a fan of Hamlin

and hope he can earn the spot.  The wild card here is Benford.  Is he a corner or a S according to McB?

- hoping Wydermyer can take that TE3 spot and run with it.  I think he’s could be a solid TE2 after a year or 2.  But do we keep 3 TEs?  If so, which position gets the axe?  

- this backup IOL/C spot is scary;  as is our replacement for Diggs/Davis on the outside.  There’s still time to add talent.  If we decide to add a player or two, I hope it’s a IOL/Outside WR…..or a pass rusher.  

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Quarterback

Josh Allen

Case Keenum

Matt Barkley

Running back

Devin Singletary

James Cook

Reggie Gilliam FB

Zack Moss

Taiwan Jones

Duke Johnson

Raheem Blackshear

Wide receiver

Stefon Diggs

Gabriel Davis

Khalil Shakir

Jamison Crowder

Isaiah McKenzie

Jake Kumerow

Marquez Stevenson

Tanner Gentry

Isaiah Hodgins

Neil Pau'u

Malik Williams

Tight End

Dawson Knox

O. J. Howard

Quintin Morris

Tommy Sweeney

Jalen Wydermyer

Offensive Line

Dion Dawkins 

Spencer Brown 

Rodger Saffold 

Mitch Morse

Ryan Bates

Ike Boettger 

Tommy Doyle 

David Quessenberry 

Cody Ford 

Greg Mancz 

Bobby Hart 

Luke Tenuta 

Will Ulmer

Derek Kerstetter

Jacob Capra 

Alec Anderson

Tanner Owen 

Defensive Line

Ed Oliver 

Von Miller 

Gregory Rousseau

DaQuan Jones 

Carlos Basham Jr. 

Tim Settle

Jordan Phillips 

A. J. Epenesa

Shaq Lawson 

Mike Love 

Eli Ankou

Kingsley Jonathan 

Brandin Bryant 

Linebacker

Tremaine Edmunds

Matt Milano 

Terrel Bernard

Tyler Matakevich 

Tyrel Dodson

Andre Smith 

Baylon Spector 

Joe Giles-Harris

Marquel Lee

Cornerback

Tre'Davious White

Kaiir Elam

Taron Johnson

Dane Jackson

Siran Neal 

Christian Benford

Cam Lewis

Travon Fuller

Olaijah Griffin

Tim Harris

Nick McCloud

Safety

Jordan Poyer

Micah Hyde

Jaquan Johnson

Damar Hamlin

Josh Thomas

Special Teams

Tyler Bass

Reid Ferguson

Matt Araiza

Matt Haack

love the thread. Hope you do not mind but the best way I could do this is Make your reds Bold so i can display who among the reds I would like to keep and why

Punt God Mat Araiza... this dude is a lock and don't get why he is not locked in. He going to blow people's minds in practices and any competition ends there.

Cam Lewis. I think he is a very serviceable backup and makes the team

Tyrel Dodson This player fits "the process" mold as he is a solid special teamer

Shaq Lawson I have always loved Shaq. Team player and has great play/situational awareness though I hope AJ makes a big step up this year.

Marquez Stevenson Love his speed and think he still has a lot to offer... BUT if he keeps mucking or dropping punts/returns in practices even... he will be an early drop.

Gunner -

Great summary, thanks.   However,  I'll admit it leaves me a little disappointed.  It's useful to see it, but not all that enlightening, because mostly what you've done is listed all the locks that virtually everyone will agree on.    You're right, we haven't seen the camp battles yet, but what I'd really be interested in your current take on the probable 53.  That is, tell us your favorites.  You had a reason for making Matakevich blue.  You seem to agree that you expect Araiza to beat out Haack, so make him blue.  

I know, you aren't making predictions, but I'd like to see 53 guys in black or blue.   

Or do nothing.  Thanks either way. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Coach can only do so much . But if the line indeed takes a step up, it will point to Bobby Johnson as having been a problem

Based on what he did when everyone and their Mom knew we were running the ball with Roman, and we still led the NFL in rushing, he can do a hell of a lot.

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Great post minus the bolded. We don’t have a backup boundary WR option other than Shakir…..and he might or might not be able to handle it. Kumerow isn’t a WR option imo.  Strictly ST.  

The way I see it, the lack of a speedster limits the advantage we have in Allen's arm. But that is not a fatal flaw to the receiving game as a whole. John Brown is the one who gave Allen a consistent deep threat. Sanders was almost washed up and was no good. So we will be no worse than the 2021 season in that regard. Stevenson is just a hope so we can't base the strategy on him suddenly performing well. 

But overall, we should have a more balanced passing game with lot of step ups in the short to medium passing game. Perhaps the long yards are going to come from medium completions + YAC

• Agree 1

Just now, Fan in Chicago said:

The way I see it, the lack of a speedster limits the advantage we have in Allen's arm. But that is not a fatal flaw to the receiving game as a whole. John Brown is the one who gave Allen a consistent deep threat. Sanders was almost washed up and was no good. So we will be no worse than the 2021 season in that regard. Stevenson is just a hope so we can't base the strategy on him suddenly performing well. 

But overall, we should have a more balanced passing game with lot of step ups in the short to medium passing game. Perhaps the long yards are going to come from medium completions + YAC

💯 

I think Gabe is the deep guy.  With Diggs getting deep looks when single covered.  Gabe doesn’t have the speed you look for downfield but he has everything else. Howard and Knox have decent speed for TEs and Cook is gonna get downfield.  We can make it work, but you’re right, we can’t completely take advantage of josh’s arm until we have a burner.  But we can still utilize it a bunch.  

3 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

love the thread. Hope you do not mind but the best way I could do this is Make your reds Bold so i can display who among the reds I would like to keep and why

Punt God Mat Araiza... this dude is a lock and don't get why he is not locked in. He going to blow people's minds in practices and any competition ends there.

he’s never held.  Until he proves he’s capable, I don’t think he can be a lock.  

Cam Lewis. I think he is a very serviceable backup and makes the team

i like cam and I think he makes the team…. Unless Benford is corner only in McDs eyes.  At that point, they’ll be battling imo.  I don’t know enough about Benford to make a case for him except for his physical being. 

Tyrel Dodson This player fits "the process" mold as he is a solid special teamer

agreed.  We lost klein and replaced him with Bernard.  Unless Spector can challenge him, I think he’ll be back.  

Shaq Lawson I have always loved Shaq. Team player and has great play/situational awareness though I hope AJ makes a big step up this year.

if we keep with our current stable of DEs, he should def be on the team.  Hopefully von can teach Shaq and the kids some new tricks.  

Marquez Stevenson Love his speed and think he still has a lot to offer... BUT if he keeps mucking or dropping punts/returns in practices even... he will be an early drop.

I think you’re blinded by the speed.  I think he only has speed to offer ….. 

That said, if he can improve, with his speed and ability to play the boundary, he’d be a perfect fit in our offense.  I’m pulling for him, but if he doesn’t improve a good amount, he might best be IR’d to keep him away from other teams while he continues to work game.  I liken him to Robert Foster.   He’s got a chance, but he needs to put in the proper work.

Quessenberry is a lock. At least, he had better well be…. We’re in big trouble if this cat can’t play.

OMG, McKenzie and Crowder are locks too… you’re not doing a very good job at this….

AJ is also a lock, and there are various players that should be in blue not red…

I completely disagree with most of this assessment.

• Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I’m not a 40-time is all that guy, but Khalil Shakir ran 4.43.  It isn’t just 40 yard dash times that make a deep threat.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Good stuff Gunner!! It looks pretty close to accurate. There are only a couple of places that I differ:

- I’d move Howard to blue. He likely makes the team but has had injury issues & been a disappointment. I loved that guy coming out but wouldn’t be shocked if he was cut. He would have to be a nightmare because almost all of his money is guaranteed. I’m just saying if he is totally outplayed by someone like Wydermyer (for example) I could see them eating the $3M. Unlikely but not impossible IMO

- I’d move all 3 OL in blue to red. I’m just not sure that the Bills have a sense how the depth will shake out at this point.
- I’d flip flop Dodson and Matakevich. Dodson played well last year & Matakevich COULD be used to free up some cash if they get a camp injury. 
- Ariaza to blue (or even black). He isn’t battling with Haack. He is here to replace him. If he’s an absolute nightmare as a holder I think that it’s possible they buck the trend & have someone other than the punter hold (Kumerow maybe). Haack was terrible & Beane commented as much last year. He drafted one of the most talented punters ever. I don’t think hangtime is his major concern. He wanted Araiza to dig them out when the offense sputters in their own end. 

My $.02 and a great job overall.

I don't think cutting Matakevich will save anything.   I believe his agent re-structured it to make it so.

He has a $750K dead cap hit on a $1.65M base salary.  

If it saves anything it would be the difference between $915K and the non-vet minimum..........and normally vet min is about $1M but only counts around $600K against the cap.    Not sure how it works on salaries that low that are so little above the minimum.

12 hours ago, Big Turk said:

He serves a function nobody else on the roster can.  Ie, play fullback when they need him to a few plays a game.

His appearances at fullback were too rare too be meaningful. 14% of snaps.  He's not on the roster for that.  

9 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

Gilliam is multiple with a blocking gadget role inline/H-back/fullback that others can’t replicate (looking at you Tommy Sweeney).

Most teams don't bother with FB/H-back.  Sweeney had twice as many snaps.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.