Gunner's roster thread 2022

GunnerBill

20 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Not sure if your reds are listed in any particular order but what do you know about Kerstetter?  I think he was a legit prospect heading into college and Texas was a mess.

I understand what you did with punter and it makes sense. I’m rooting for the rookie because I’ve seen enough of Haack but holding isn’t the only issue for Araiza.  I’d also have Moss in blue.

Not really any sort of order. I took the wikipedia list then just restructured them until they made sense for my colour codes but didn't re-order within colour codes if that makes sense. I'll be honest and Kerstetter and say almost nothing but I do think the spot where these UDFA types have the best chance to stick is the Oline depth spots. 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why is Gilliam likely to get a spot?  He’s not even an every down special teamer 

You know it’s interesting, but I watched a good portion of the Chiefs playoff game the other night o NFL Network and I’d forgotten that Gilliam was on the field whole lot of that game. I can’t say he really did all that much but I honestly don’t know that I remember him playing that day at all. Go figure.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

There is no punter battle. Haack is as good as gone.

My gut call as well (speaking, of course, as just another knucklehead on a fan board).  Imagine this thought experiment:

1) Araiza loses the punt battle and the team tries to stash him on the practice squad.

2) Araiza lasts about 34 minutes on the practice squad before he's signed elsewhere.

3) Haack shanks a punt in the first game.

4) This board collectively goes to the closet to get out the pitchforks and torches.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

Just now, Whites Bay said:

My gut call as well (speaking, of course, as just another knucklehead on a fan board).  Imagine this thought experiment:

1) Araiza loses the punt battle and the team tries to stash him on the practice squad.

2) Araiza lasts about 34 minutes on the practice squad before he's signed elsewhere.

3) Haack shanks a punt in the first game.

4) This board collectively goes to the closet to get out the pitchforks and torches.

Close…but I keep my pitchfork right next to the TV….just in case. (I don’t want to be rummaging through the closet when the Bills are on.)

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why is Gilliam likely to get a spot?  He’s not even an every down special teamer 

He serves a function nobody else on the roster can.  Ie, play fullback when they need him to a few plays a game.

• Like (+1) 2

My first 2 observations;

I dont consider McKenzie and Crowder as a probables, I look at them as  locks.

And I dont see who the backup center would be. I'm not assuming Bates would move to center if Morse gets hurt; that requires TWO moves; C and RG. I think Mancz has to make the  53 as backup C ,or,Ford beats out Bates at RG.

Obviously,when it comes to special teams,reserves from various position groups compete with each other. i.e. Kumerow vs. Jones vs. Gilliam 

Edited by Georgie

38 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

He serves a function nobody else on the roster can.  Ie, play fullback when they need him to a few plays a game.

And just generally can be that backfield blocker. Gilliam would be less of a cert if they had a true blocking tight end. But they don't. As for @Mr. WEO's point about teams.... Gilliam doesn't play FGs and XPs. He plays all the coverage and kick off teams and is a core player on those units. Only Matakevich played more last year. He used to be our wing protector on punts.... haven't looked closely enough at ST usage in 2021 yet, it's on my to do list. 

13 minutes ago, Georgie said:

My first 2 observations;

I dont consider McKenzie a probable, I look at him as a lock. And I dont see who the backup center would be. I'm not assuming Bates would move to center if Morse gets hurt; that requires TWO moves; C and RG. I think Mancz has to make the  53 as backup C ,or,Ford beats out Bates at RG.

Obviously,when it comes to special teams,reserves from various position groups compete with each other. 

I don't know that the backup center is on the team. If it HAS to be someone out of the current 85 or whatever we have, then yes, Mancz makes most sense... but the backup OL spots are the least settled part of the roster IMO. 

On STs... Jones and Kumerow are very much competing for 1 job, in my view. Gilliam is a slightly different case.... the role he plays on teams means he is more in competition with backup linebackers than running backs and receivers as gunners. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Good stuff Gunner!! It looks pretty close to accurate. There are only a couple of places that I differ:

- I’d move all 3 OL in blue to red. I’m just not sure that the Bills have a sense how the depth will shake out at this point.

This is my single biggest concern about this roster, and also a source of frustration about the relative lack of attention to an area which is critical to protecting Allen. Beane did say after the season ended, that we need to protect Allen more. This is the single area where I don't see his words followed by adequate action. '

Besides OL, I dont see any position as short staffed. 

• Agree 3

I agree with most of it, seems pretty accurate. Just a couple I would change —

- Keenum to blue

- Moss to blue 

- Quessenbury to red

- Phillips to blue

I see a possibility that from a familiarity standpoint the Bills like Barkley more than Keenum throughout camp. It was only a 7th spent on Keenum. I think it’s likely than Keenum is the guy on the roster, but just not ready to call it a lock yet. 

I’m not a fan of Zack Moss whatsoever, however just 2 years removed from spending a 3rd rounder on him, combined with this being Singletary’s last year on contract, I think it’s far more likely we see him ride the inactive list all year than it is he gets cut. 

Not much of my own research, especially as I could be much better at assessing OL play than I am, but I’ve seen a lot on Twitter about Quessenbury was not a strong starter at all. Sort of like Bobby Hart a few years ago where he had all these games started but it turns out they were atrocious performances. I think you can move him to red and out of that long list of red guys in the OL category expect 1 or maybe 2 of them to make the roster. 

The defensive line depth is loaded this year, I’d call Phillips probable to make the roster but a lock this early in the offseason is a stretch IMO. He signed pretty late in the offseason and we’ve bolstered our UDFA depth at DT. I’d assume he makes the roster, but not at a ‘roster lock’ level yet. 

Good work @GunnerBill 🍻 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think that is by far the most likely outcome, sure. But the team is doing its usual "they are in a competition" and "slow your roll" so for now I'm reflecting that. 

Is Araiza’s release quick enough?  I’m not saying that it is, but it seems a little slow from what I’ve seen.  Does he take an extra step compared to many punters?

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

And just generally can be that backfield blocker. Gilliam would be less of a cert if they had a true blocking tight end. But they don't. As for @Mr. WEO's point about teams.... Gilliam doesn't play FGs and XPs. He plays all the coverage and kick off teams and is a core player on those units. Only Matakevich played more last year. He used to be our wing protector on punts.... haven't looked closely enough at ST usage in 2021 yet, it's on my to do list. 

I don't know that the backup center is on the team. If it HAS to be someone out of the current 85 or whatever we have, then yes, Mancz makes most sense... but the backup OL spots are the least settled part of the roster IMO. 

On STs... Jones and Kumerow are very much competing for 1 job, in my view. Gilliam is a slightly different case.... the role he plays on teams means he is more in competition with backup linebackers than running backs and receivers as gunners. 

I had originally missed that Crowder was also a "probable",like McKenzie. I think both make the team.

If Bills are going to run more 2 TE sets,Sweeney could possibly take Gilliam's spot. How much do they really  need a "fullback"?

Somebody has to return kicks and though McKenzie and Stevenson are both dangerous, their ball security is iffy. 

I could see some young players taking ST reps 

Just now, Georgie said:

I had originally missed that Crowder was also a "probable",like McKenzie. I think both make the team.

If Bills are going to run more 2 TE sets,Sweeney could possibly take Gilliam's spot. How much do they really  need a "fullback"?

Somebody has to return kicks and though McKenzie and Stevenson are both dangerous, their ball security is iffy. 

I could see some young players taking ST reps 

Sweeney cannot take Gilliam's spot. He is dreadful. He can't block. 

I think Crowder and McKenzie make the team too. I have them in blue because I can envision a situation for both where they don't. The chances are slim but they exist. Guys in blue are still guys I expect to make the roster. I'd be surprised if any of the guys in blue don't make it. But they are not "locks" in the way the guys in black are. 

1 hour ago, elijah said:

Not much of my own research, especially as I could be much better at assessing OL play than I am, but I’ve seen a lot on Twitter about Quessenbury was not a strong starter at all. Sort of like Bobby Hart a few years ago where he had all these games started but it turns out they were atrocious performances. I think you can move him to red and out of that long list of red guys in the OL category expect 1 or maybe 2 of them to make the roster. 

On Quessenbury, he is better than Bobby Hart. Don't get me wrong he is a backup level player, not a starter, but he is the only guy on the roster other than Hart and the two starters who has started an NFL game at tackle. Until they sign someone better (and of course they might) I anticipate him being the swing tackle backup. 

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Gilliam is multiple with a blocking gadget role inline/H-back/fullback that others can’t replicate (looking at you Tommy Sweeney).

I'm still confused on what the plan is at DE. In a vacuum I wouldn't expect Shaq Lawson to be a roster lock. But they usually keep 6 DEs, and without him there's only 4 left in Miller, Rousseau, Basham, and Epenesa. So as it is they are bringing less rosterable DEs to camp than usual and the bottom of the position group is notably weak. Maybe they plan on adding a veteran?

12 minutes ago, Georgie said:

If they run more 2 TE sets I’d prefer a TE2 who is good at any one of: blocking, catching, or route running. Which Sweeney is not.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.