Is there any circumstances you would move on from McDermott after 2022?

FilthyBeast

Under what circumstance whout you move on from McDermott after 2022  

357 members have voted

1. 1. Under what circumstance whout you move on from McDermott after 2022

• Nothing. He's my head coach and still want him here no matter what happens in 2022
    • Anything short of a SB appearance and/or championship
    • Losing season/miss playoffs and injuries are not a main factor in this
    • Losing to KC in the playoffs for a 3rd straight year

25 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I do understand who he is but remember this team was teetering on the brink last year going 3-5 over a 2 month stretch and sitting at 7-6 before lucking out playing the Panthers, Jets, Falcons and Pats team (who had peaked early december) to close the season and then the same Pats team again in the first round of the playoffs.

Again, I don't believe McDermott is a horrible coach and he apparently has great leadership qualities among other strong traits. But is it enough to say he should be the coach in the next 3 -5 years even if he never gets to a SB or wins one? No pro sports owner is going to hang on to a coach like that unless they simply have no interest in winning a championship.

And another thing that is lost in this topic is Buffalo is now a desirable place with a franchise QB so coaches we probably had zero chance of landing in years past would make this their prime destination now should we need to upgrade.

Bottom line, I think we all hope that McDermott is THAT GUY, but as of right now he's not until proven otherwise.

You are changing the point. On the should he be the coach in 5 years if we haven't got over the hump you have a legit argument. On the "The Bills could collapse under the pressure next season because McDermott won't cope with the expectation" I say no chance. That isn't how he is wired. He is going to coach his team one week at a time to beat the next opponent and no point is he going to let them lift the lid to look further ahead. Listen to 'Zo and Kyle talk about him. That is clear as day. 

7 hours ago, FireChans said:

They didn’t win their “one ring” year 1 lol.

Sean Payton won 1 ring with a HoF QB for 13 years. And we are mad McD hasn’t won a ring in 2 years with great QB play. GTFOH. 

Nah we win 6 Super Bowls and you’ll want McD fired for losing the seventh. Because you’re ridiculous. 

No I'm not mad the McD hasn't won a ring in 2 years. I'm mad he gave away the game in 13 seconds that cost the Bills a great chance to get a ring. 

46 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I do understand who he is but remember this team was teetering on the brink last year going 3-5 over a 2 month stretch and sitting at 7-6 before lucking out playing the Panthers, Jets, Falcons and Pats team (who had peaked early december) to close the season and then the same Pats team again in the first round of the playoffs.

Again, I don't believe McDermott is a horrible coach and he apparently has great leadership qualities among other strong traits. But is it enough to say he should be the coach in the next 3 -5 years even if he never gets to a SB or wins one? No pro sports owner is going to hang on to a coach like that unless they simply have no interest in winning a championship.

And another thing that is lost in this topic is Buffalo is now a desirable place with a franchise QB so coaches we probably had zero chance of landing in years past would make this their prime destination now should we need to upgrade.

Bottom line, I think we all hope that McDermott is THAT GUY, but as of right now he's not until proven otherwise.

Another great post. Your insight and statements are 100% correct. I'd add he he choked away the game against KC, got very lucky to beat Indy, was lost in Houston, and mediocre in Jacksonville. Hopefully, Allen can carry this team to victory. 

• Vomit 1

3 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

I'm not debating regular season record here. And if regular season record is all that mattered you could obviously put McD in Canton as we speak.

What is relevant is that it took 3 years for Taylor to rebuild one of the worst organizations in the NFL and get them back to a SB including the aforementioned road playoff wins against the #1 and #2 seeds in the conference last year.

You can disagree with my takes all you like just because I don't pound Bills flavored koolaid and objective and nonbiased in my takes which again are based in factual relevance.

There's always the possibility for a bad season for a number of reasons but I agree it's more unlikely than likely, just not zero chance so to speak.

Again main reason in this belief would be McDermott collapsing under the immense pressure to deliver a championship and losing the lockerroom  if the season gets off the rails early especially given how last season ended.

none of this is true.  your comment are based on your obscure view point  and various assumptions.  there's no factual relevance at all.  typically your posting consists of creating scenarios under which the bills may fall apart, or creating scenarios where the phins may actually win.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

You are changing the point. On the should he be the coach in 5 years if we haven't got over the hump you have a legit argument. On the "The Bills could collapse under the pressure next season because McDermott won't cope with the expectation" I say no chance. That isn't how he is wired. He is going to coach his team one week at a time to beat the next opponent and no point is he going to let them lift the lid to look further ahead. Listen to 'Zo and Kyle talk about him. That is clear as day. 

Agree he will coach one week at a time. That's really the only way to coach isn't it? Especially, when your team has a target on their backs. 

Last year, I thought Coach McD wasn't as sharp as previous years. Not saying this to be argumentative. I felt his halftime adjustments and in game adjustments weren't sharp. Previous years I looked forward to the adjustments and felt like the Bills had a distinct advantage. I just didn't see a lot of that. Tampa was the exception. Additionally, I felt like the team wasn't ready to play on several occasions. Pitt, Indy, and Jacksonville come to mind. I know a season is filled with highs and lows. 

If we can recall to last season, the Bills were very much in danger of not winning the division or going to the playoffs. Credit to coach and the players for steeping it up. However, they should have never never never been in that position with the talent on their team. 

This season is going to be really interesting. The Bills have a target on their backs and a substantially more difficult schedule. Also, several other AFC teams have drastically improved. Truthfully, the pressure is on the Bills. Let's see how it plays out. 

Edited by newcam2012

6 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

I'm not debating regular season record here. And if regular season record is all that mattered you could obviously put McD in Canton as we speak.

What is relevant is that it took 3 years for Taylor to rebuild one of the worst organizations in the NFL and get them back to a SB including the aforementioned road playoff wins against the #1 and #2 seeds in the conference last year.

You can disagree with my takes all you like just because I don't pound Bills flavored koolaid and objective and nonbiased in my takes which again are based in factual relevance.

There's always the possibility for a bad season for a number of reasons but I agree it's more unlikely than likely, just not zero chance so to speak.

Again main reason in this belief would be McDermott collapsing under the immense pressure to deliver a championship and losing the lockerroom  if the season gets off the rails early especially given how last season ended.

You literally complained about our regular season record of “only 11 wins.” Newsflash, Zac Taylor only had 10.

Will Zac Taylor and the Bengals go back to the Super Bowl next year? If they don’t, will he be on the hot seat?

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Look what Brandon Beane and McD have built in Buffalo...an awesome championship team!! A team that has been in the playoffs 4 of the 5 last seasons. This after not seeing the playoffs since 1999. In 2020 the Buffalo Bills won 2 playoff games against the Colts, Ravens. 

So, you let go McD for whatever reason. Who do you plan to replace him with? What if Beane were to follow him to wherever he ends up? What then? 

On a different note: Let's look at the Dallas Cowboys for an example. Dallas HC Jimmy Johnson built the Cowboys into super bowl contender after HC Tom Landry went 3-13 in 1988. Yes, there were some growing pains for a few seasons for the Boys, but by 1992-1993 the Cowboys had won 2x SB's (at the Bills expense)

The teams owner, Jerry Jones got it into his head that "he" was the one who built those great teams and he and HC Johnson had a falling out. Yes, that Cowboys team with Aikman at QB was good enough to win 2x more SBs with Barry Switzer at HC. 

Now, look what's happened to that franchise since, 6 head coaches, 26 seasons, 11 playoff appearances and NOT ONE playoff win in all that time. 

we have josh Allen. This teams a contender for the next decade. 

that we were terrible for 20 years doesn’t mean you should play scared of being great because of the risk of missing. 

that said, it would take something practically unheard of to hit that point this year. A couple big losses in the vein of 13 seconds where the coaches clearly mess up I guess? 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.