Is there any circumstances you would move on from McDermott after 2022?

FilthyBeast

Under what circumstance whout you move on from McDermott after 2022  

357 members have voted

1. 1. Under what circumstance whout you move on from McDermott after 2022

• Nothing. He's my head coach and still want him here no matter what happens in 2022
    • Anything short of a SB appearance and/or championship
    • Losing season/miss playoffs and injuries are not a main factor in this
    • Losing to KC in the playoffs for a 3rd straight year

21 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Bold prediction. Especially after Coach McD demonstrated how to lose that chance in 13 seconds. Hopefully, he has learned from his collasal blunder. 

Just now, newcam2012 said:

It's great that the players did that. However, to give Coach McD credit for this is a big stretch. Let's face it, I think it's reasonable to think other players in other cities would have done similar acts of kindness. In times of horrific tragedy, even rich millionaire football players will do the right thing. 

You say it was out of context, but then you state this crap - which is directly in line with the other stuff.

It was already pointed out that the players messed up on defense in the last 13 seconds.  Wallace missed a call and did not rotate into the right area.  The play was called by the DC and the players adjusted as they have for years under this regime.

McD demonstrated his philosophy and let the players play - sometimes that works, but every player I have heard from the defense has said they messed up - not McD.

As to the second part - there have been mass shootings all over the country and no place has a sports community come together in that way and especially 100% of the football players.  Yes what McD has done here is special and the players buy in to the community aspect.  Things go hand in hand.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Yea but you suggested Brian Flores who blew a playoff spot against McDermott's backups..... 

I was just throwing names out there as an example. I get it was a poor example. The thesis of my statement still remains sound and just. 

• Eyeroll 1

26 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

You say it was out of context, but then you state this crap - which is directly in line with the other stuff.

It was already pointed out that the players messed up on defense in the last 13 seconds.  Wallace missed a call and did not rotate into the right area.  The play was called by the DC and the players adjusted as they have for years under this regime.

McD demonstrated his philosophy and let the players play - sometimes that works, but every player I have heard from the defense has said they messed up - not McD.

As to the second part - there have been mass shootings all over the country and no place has a sports community come together in that way and especially 100% of the football players.  Yes what McD has done here is special and the players buy in to the community aspect.  Things go hand in hand.

Come on now. The Bills coaching staff called multiple timeouts to get the right plays in. I don't expect any current players to call out the coach on his collasal collapse. That's ridiculous to site this as some of mitigating evidence. Let's noit beat a dead horse here...

Buffalo is a unique town and a great place to play football. Anyone from the area knows this. Many eat, sleep, and live for our Bills. That's what we do. Former players like Kelly, Bruce, Andre, Thurman, Tasker, etc...are great examples of how they were touched by the "Buffalo experience." Does Coach McD get credit for that too? It's us the fans and the community of Buffalo that touch the football players. Showing up to the airport time and time again in freezing conditions to give our undying support. That's just one small example. The Bills Mafia is known thoughout the football community and media. Coach McD didn't create the Bills Mafia. Coach McD does deserve some credit. However, the real credit goes out to us the fans and the people in Buffalo and it's surrounding areas. 

Edited by newcam2012

56 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

It's great that the players did that. However, to give Coach McD credit for this is a big stretch. Let's face it, I think it's reasonable to think other players in other cities would have done similar acts of kindness. In times of horrific tragedy, even rich millionaire football players will do the right thing. 

I give the coach all the credit for building a locker room where they all do the right thing. 

3 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Coaches like BB, Payton, Reid, Harbaugh, Tomlin, and Arians have something that Coach MCD doesn't have. That's a Lombardi trophy! The bar is set high and nothing less ahould be acceptable. If he can't get it done then bring someone in who can!

Andy Reid Phi:  

1-4 in Conference Championship Games.

0-1 in Super Bowl.

Andy Reid KC:  Does have a SB, but he’s also lost 2 more Chamionship Games and another SB.  

A day Reid has reached the Conf Championship Game or Super Bowl 9 times.  He has only won the SB once.

Sean Payton has a SB, but also missed the playoffs many times with a 5000 yard passing Drew Brees led offense.  

I mean you put all these coaches on some pedestal here while completely ignoring how long it took them to actually win a SB, and how often they came up short too.

So sorry, your it must happen right now or else mentality would have fired most of the coaches you just praised before they ever won their first SB.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Andy Reid Phi:  

1-4 in Conference Championship Games.

0-1 in Super Bowl.

Andy Reid KC:  Does have a SB, but he’s also lost 2 more Chamionship Games and another SB.  

A day Reid has reached the Conf Championship Game or Super Bowl 9 times.  He has only won the SB once.

Sean Payton has a SB, but also missed the playoffs many times with a 5000 yard passing Drew Brees led offense.  

I mean you put all these coaches on some pedestal here while completely ignoring how long it took them to actually win a SB, and how often they came up short too.

So sorry, your it must happen right now or else mentality would have fired most of the coaches you just praised before they ever won their first SB.  

Alpha show me where I'm calling For coach McD to be fired? In fact, I'm on the record saying he's a very good coach and there isn't a viable replacement at this point. I stand 100% behind that. Those coaches do have super bowl rings! You can't diminish that fact. Coach McD has zero and sure you can use length of time as a measure. Currently, the Bills and Coach McD have one of the best if not the best QB in the league. What if the Bills and Coach McD don't bring one home within a few years? Last year, Coach McD squandered a monumental opportunity last year despite a near perfect Allen performance. That 13 seconds doesn't warrant a coach firing. However, it absolutely causes me some concern and leaves me looking at coach McD in a different light. The next few years will absolutely let us know if coach is a bridesmaid or not. 

Edited by newcam2012

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Alpha show me where I'm calling For coach McD to be fired? In fact, I'm on the record saying he's a very good coach and there isn't a viable replacement at this point. I stand 100% behind that. Those coaches do have super bowl rings! You can't diminish that fact. Coach McD has zero and sure you can use length of time as a measure. Currently, the Bills and Coach McD have one of the best if not the best QB in the league. What if the Bills and Coach McD don't bring one home within a few years? Last year, Coach McD squandered a monumental opportunity last year despite a near perfect Allen performance. That 13 seconds doesn't warrant a coach firing. However, it absolutely causes me some concern and leaves me looking at coach McD in a different light. The next few years will absolutely let us know if coach is a bridesmaid or not. 

I didnt say you said for him to be fired, but you are without a doubt at least implying there is short term pressure on McD to win that Super Bowl.  Go back and read your posts, you are not talking about McD like he is safe, you are talking like his seat is already hot.  

So all I was pointing out is that in the post where you listed all these coaches with SB rings and how McD must get one too, most the coaches took a while before they got their first ring, most have only the one ring with many more playoff misses and losses, etc etc.  I mean this team is now just really arriving, I can't see any chance McD is replaced in the next 2 years barring some unforeseen collapse where injuries were not the reason.  

He has proven to be a great coach so far, a great unifier, a great leader, and great at coaching up his players.  He is the very rare players coach that is still full of discipline and fundamentals.  I think he has at least 2 to 3 more years before his job would come into question if we have not yet won the SB.  

But don't worry...we gonna win it this year anyway and put this matter to rest :)

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I didnt say you said for him to be fired, but you are without a doubt at least implying there is short term pressure on McD to win that Super Bowl.  Go back and read your posts, you are not talking about McD like he is safe, you are talking like his seat is already hot.  

So all I was pointing out is that in the post where you listed all these coaches with SB rings and how McD must get one too, most the coaches took a while before they got their first ring, most have only the one ring with many more playoff misses and losses, etc etc.  I mean this team is now just really arriving, I can't see any chance McD is replaced in the next 2 years barring some unforeseen collapse where injuries were not the reason.  

He has proven to be a great coach so far, a great unifier, a great leader, and great at coaching up his players.  He is the very rare players coach that is still full of discipline and fundamentals.  I think he has at least 2 to 3 more years before his job would come into question if we have not yet won the SB.  

But don't worry...we gonna win it this year anyway and put this matter to rest :)

I can't argue with anything in this post. Solid as a rock. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/22/2022 at 5:09 AM, newcam2012 said:

Let's win one before we start talking dynasty and 4 or 5. Every coach is under pressure. I don't see MCD as getting unfair pressure. Good God did you see the last 13 seconds of the KC game? To be honest, the media and most fans have given him much less criticism than he deserves. Basically, he avoided addressing his blunders and was given a free pass. I would've had much more respect if he came out and said I blew it and apologized to the team and the fans. I can respect that and would undoubtedly stand behind him for another year. Put up or shut up if you will. He has arguably the best QB in the game. No more excuses! Nothing less than a Lombardi trophy should be the standard for the next few years with a healthy Allen. Will Coach McD be the next Mary Schott???

But I'm a fan and being rational isn't as fun sometimes when it's a slow news cycle like right now. I'll be happy with any Super Bowl, but I want 4-5, lol. I do think he gets more criticism than he deserves though. 

Where does a thread like this come from? The 13 second haters? 

As a head coach, McD is considered one of the top men in the NFL. "If for some reason he became available to another NFL team there is no doubt in my view he would be snapped up in a heartbeat.

C'mon guys...this man made the playoffs in his first season in Buffalo with Tyrod Taylor at QB.

If McD has any shortcoming it's that he is far to loyal to his DC. Frazier calls the defensive plays and not the head coach! Yet from the Bills fan base McD gets blamed for anything on the defensive side. 

Then, at the same time I can see why he would keep Leslie Frazier for so many reasons. I was sorta hoping that Frazier would get hired away as a new head coach this off season.

However, he still might after the 2022 season.

On another note, look what happened to the Baltimore Ravens last season with all their bad luck. Even after a season similar to that one I'd still say NO!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

As a head coach, McD is considered one of the top men in the NFL. "If for some reason he became available to another NFL team there is no doubt in my view he would be snapped up in a heartbeat.

C'mon guys...this man made the playoffs in his first season in Buffalo with Tyrod Taylor at QB.

If McD has any shortcoming it's that he is far to loyal to his DC. Frazier calls the defensive plays and not the head coach! Yet from the Bills fan base McD gets blamed for anything on the defensive side. 

Then, at the same time I can see why he would keep Leslie Frazier for so many reasons. I was sorta hoping that Frazier would get hired away as a new head coach this off season.

On another note, look what happened to the Baltimore Ravens last season with all their bad luck. Even after a season similar to that one I'd still say NO!

I don't think anyone is saying that Coach McD isn't a very good coach. I think that's a given. The real question is can he bring home the Lombardi Trophy? At this point, winning the division isn't enough. Neither is winning one playoff game. The Bills need to make super bowl appearances and win at least one of them. Anything short of this would be an under achievement. The 13 second collasal blunder still looms large until the coach proves otherwise. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

3 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

This thread comes from the following fact based information:

- in his first 5 years here McDermott is 3-4 in the playoffs including 0-4 on the road (for perspective Zac Taylor took the Bengals to the SB in his first postseason appearance including 2-0 on the road in the AFC playoffs)

- His overall record during the regular season against teams with a winning record/playoff teams is well below .500

- JA17 and Gabe Davis had historic performances in the playoffs and it was still squandered because of poor coaching and the 13 seconds debacle.

- Defensive scheme has proven over and over it's not effective against physical teams and/or teams with top QB's/offenses despite misleading overall rankings like last year. Last year we faced one of the worst schedules ever in terms of opposing QB's and still only managed 11 wins.

But again, the main talking point here is whether or not McDermott is just a good head coach vs. a championship HC and the latter is where many including myself have serious doubts based largely on the items listed above.

Also in regards to the Ravens last year, they were ravaged by injury and Harbaugh a proven SB winning HC so why would anybody question what happened there. Speaking of injuries, what is very telling about McD is that his teams have been relatively healthy most years but have still not been able to reach a championship/win one. So the evidence is there that this teams success is more about talent vs actual coaching.

I wish McD well and hope this season reaches lofty expectations, but deep down I'd be lying if I didn't have serious concerns about an 'owned and exposed' type of year especially given the schedule difficulty on paper and types of QBs/teams were playing this year. Division itself is also going to be brutal compared to last year.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

21 hours ago, mead107 said:

Why is this even being talked about?? 
 Just DUMB.  

THE BIG QUESTION IS - WHYTHE TOPIC starter  IS

A BILLS FAN? 

The topic starter is not a Bills fan - he is a Miami troll that comes here and somehow gets away with this garbage.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 5/21/2022 at 8:01 PM, Apocalypse Nuts said:

Maybe if I spent the entire season smoking crack followed by injections of heroin.  I think that’s the only way I could be so whacked out of my mind enough to even entertain the idea that firing McDermott would be anywhere near a good idea.

All you dipp schzitts that want to blame him for anything less than winning the Super Bowl are absolutely freaking delusional.

So this explains why some want to get rid of him for "13 seconds".   I am amazed they can type.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

- in his first 5 years here McDermott is 3-4 in the playoffs including 0-4 on the road (for perspective Zac Taylor took the Bengals to the SB in his first postseason appearance including 2-0 on the road in the AFC playoffs)

- His overall record during the regular season against teams with a winning record/playoff teams is well below .500

- JA17 and Gabe Davis had historic performances in the playoffs and it was still squandered because of poor coaching and the 13 seconds debacle.

- Defensive scheme has proven over and over it's not effective against physical teams and/or teams with top QB's/offenses despite misleading overall rankings like last year. Last year we faced one of the worst schedules ever in terms of opposing QB's and still only managed 11 wins.

But again, the main talking point here is whether or not McDermott is just a good head coach vs. a championship HC and the latter is where many including myself have serious doubts based largely on the items listed above.

Also in regards to the Ravens last year, they were ravaged by injury and Harbaugh a proven SB winning HC so why would anybody question what happened there. Speaking of injuries, what is very telling about McD is that his teams have been relatively healthy most years but have still not been able to reach a championship/win one. So the evidence is there that this teams success is more about talent vs actual coaching.

I wish McD well and hope this season reaches lofty expectations, but deep down I'd be lying if I didn't have serious concerns about an 'owned and exposed' type of year especially given the schedule difficulty on paper and types of QBs/teams were playing this year. Division itself is also going to be brutal compared to last year.

There is zero chance the Bills are "owned and exposed" this season. 

• Thank you (+1) 3

2 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Fantastic post! Well said and very good research. The couple of years should indicate hpw good coach McD is. I absolutely think it's a legitimate question and concern. Is good good enough? 

52 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

There is zero chance the Bills are "owned and exposed" this season. 

I think the road for success is much more difficult for tje Bills.

• Eyeroll 1

21 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Fantastic post! Well said and very good research. The couple of years should indicate hpw good coach McD is. I absolutely think it's a legitimate question and concern. Is good good enough? 

I think the road for success is much more difficult for tje Bills.

Whether McDermott is a championship coach is a legitimate question until he proves it isn't. As it is for about 75% of coaches in the NFL. How many title winners are there coaching? Belichick, Carroll, McVay, Harbaugh, Tomlin, Reid, McCarthy, Pederson... think that is it? For everyone else it is a legit question until they manage it. And I get it the 13 seconds while we now know there was a major player execution error (because Levi has owned it) ultimately comes down to coaching. But I reject the assertion that the other two playoff losses were coaching. We were just outclassed across the board in the AFCCG in 2020 and the players blew it on both offense and defense in Houston in 2019 with stupid mistakes. The coaches were a minimal factor in that loss. 

On the road for success being much more difficult...  in terms of the AFC playoffs being a potential gauntlet, sure. That is true. But barring major injuries the Bills are certain to make the playoffs and have a genuine shot at the #1 seed as they did last year (when they slightly underperformed). To me "owned and exposed" would be either not making the playoffs or being 1 and done in them. Losing to Patrick Mahomes, Joe Burrow or Justin Herbert in the post season isn't being owned and exposed. That will happen sometimes and the Bills will beat them sometimes too. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Whether McDermott is a championship coach is a legitimate question until he proves it isn't. As it is for about 75% of coaches in the NFL. How many title winners are there coaching? Belichick, Carroll, McVay, Harbaugh, Tomlin, Reid, McCarthy, Pederson... think that is it? For everyone else it is a legit question until they manage it. And I get it the 13 seconds while we now know there was a major player execution error (because Levi has owned it) ultimately comes down to coaching. But I reject the assertion that the other two playoff losses were coaching. We were just outclassed across the board in the AFCCG in 2020 and the players blew it on both offense and defense in Houston in 2019 with stupid mistakes. The coaches were a minimal factor in that loss. 

On the road for success being much more difficult...  in terms of the AFC playoffs being a potential gauntlet, sure. That is true. But barring major injuries the Bills are certain to make the playoffs and have a genuine shot at the #1 seed as they did last year (when they slightly underperformed). To me "owned and exposed" would be either not making the playoffs or being 1 and done in them. Losing to Patrick Mahomes, Joe Burrow or Justin Herbert in the post season isn't being owned and exposed. That will happen sometimes and the Bills will beat them sometimes too. 

Coaches were absolutely to blame for the Houston loss. Offensively the playcalling was absurd (46 passes, with the lion’s share of targets going to Duke Williams🤦‍♂️) and defensively they got beat on poor blitzes in game-deciding spots as McDermott and Frazier are wont to do.

• Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.