Is there any circumstances you would move on from McDermott after 2022?

FilthyBeast

Under what circumstance whout you move on from McDermott after 2022  

357 members have voted

1. 1. Under what circumstance whout you move on from McDermott after 2022

• Nothing. He's my head coach and still want him here no matter what happens in 2022
    • Anything short of a SB appearance and/or championship
    • Losing season/miss playoffs and injuries are not a main factor in this
    • Losing to KC in the playoffs for a 3rd straight year

Seventeen years. Seventeen lowly, lame, crappy, miserable years. 

In those 17 years:

-Seven different head coaches 

-Five different general managers 

-Fifteen different starting quarterbacks

-Two winning seasons (barely, 9-7 in 2004 and 2014)

-Zero playoff appearances

The McBeane Era

-Five total seasons

-One head coach

-One GM

-Four different starting quarterbacks, but only one starting QB from Week 12 of 2018, and he's the franchise guy the other seven coaches and five GMs could never find.

-Four winning seasons 

-Four playoff appearances

-Three playoff victories 

-Have built one of, if not the best overall roster in the league. 

To answer the poll: no, there's no situation where I'd find any reason to move on from McBeane after this season. The Pegulas giving each guy a five (or was it six?) year contract extension tells me they feel the same. 

Go Bills. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Not sure if some people actually value what McB brought to Buffalo.  I think these people think anyone can coach JA to a SB.  They also drafted JA and groomed him. So if I was the owner I’d be quite happy w my product. They are the ***** 2nd most liked team in the world. 

excellent post by black label above this.  

Edited by nedboy7
  • Like (+1) 1

On 5/16/2022 at 3:46 PM, FilthyBeast said:

Now that the dust has settled from the draft and we move closer to the 2022 season, was curious what the current pulse is on McDermott. Expectations are obviously sky high in Buffalo and it's truly SB or bust as far as a lot of fans and pundits see it.

On one hand the McDermott is still the best HC this franchise has seen since Levy and the 90's, but on the other the stench of playoff loss in KC still looms large and could be an issue in the locker room if this team gets off to a slow start in 2022. I would go as far to say his regular season record against playoff teams and never being able to win a road playoff game is a root cause for serious concern as well.

Adding a poll here but personally there are 2 scenarios I would pull the trigger on dumping McDermott after 2022:

1) We have a losing season/miss playoffs (with major injuries NOT being a factor in this).

2) We lose to KC in the playoffs for a 3rd straight season regardless of round or whether game is in Buffalo/KC.

Either of these happen and the Pegulas have to seriously ask themselves where they seem the direction of this team heading under McDermott knowing you are only going to get so many bites at the apple once Allen's contract kicks in similar to Mahomes in KC. Beane cannot show blind loyalty either IMO and look at himself and McDermott as a package deal moving forward.

Obviously, not a popular post. Missing the playoffs would be horrible. If Allen is healthy then coach McDs seat will be hot.

Personally, I think Coach McD did some of his worst coaching last year. He was unprepared in the opener vs the Steelers and made little to no halftime adjustments. Additionally, look at the Indy and games as well. The playoff loss is all on him!!!  Now don't get me wrong, I do believe he's a very good coach. I don't think he has lost the locker room. This season will tell us a lot about if his time is nearing. Sometimes it's time to move on, get new blood in, etc...The major issue I see is no one out there whose available seems like a better option than Coach McD. Perhaps a Sean Payton or Brian Flores? In concluding, Coach MCD is solid and still has the respect of the players. He has built a culture of winning and the players still play hard for him. As for the xs and os, I think he was slightly weaker last year. I'm not going to give you hate for talking about moving on from coach McD. I think it's a legit question in next couple of years. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Disagree 1

7 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I get that, but thats today...that is not next year after say an early playoff exit again.  We don know how he will be seen if that happens again.  I am definitely skeptical that holds true if we see another early exit this next year or two in the playoffs.  Losing changes peoples opinions real fast, especially once certain expectations are established.  

This is now a SB or bust team this year and the next few seasons.  Getting into the playoffs first and second rounds is not an accomplishment now, its a let down.  This team minimal expectation is AFCCG no matter what.  Entering a season with #1 Offense, #1 Defense, and a perennial MVP candidate at QB and the odds on favorite to win the SB.  You enter the season with that and then don't get out of the 2nd round of playoffs again, or even go one and done, then your coaching seat is definitely changing temperatures and getting warm.  

We have an early exit this after how we have exited the last few years, I just can't see how he doesn't get more scrutiny and end up with his seat warm heading into the following season.    

Don't get me wrong, I love McD and think he is a top 5 coach right now and I have all the confidence in him today moving forward.  Just saying this team was ready to win a SB last year, it looks to be improved even more this year.  Expectations are now high, and coming up short moving forward now will carry a lot more negative weight than what has happened the last 3 playoff exits where we were a team on the rise, not the team to beat per se.  

Personally, I think both McD and Beane are safe no matter what 2 more seasons...this one, and next.  But an early exit this year and I definitely think McD enters that following year under some pressure to deliver or his future could be in doubt otherwise.  

I am completely on board that there comes a point where McDermott comes under pressure and maybe it is even decided to move on. But if they move on from McDermott his staff is cleared out. That includes his GM. 

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am completely on board that there comes a point where McDermott comes under pressure and maybe it is even decided to move on. But if they move on from McDermott his staff is cleared out. That includes his GM. 

The good news is that none of its gonna happen given we will be hosting that Lombardi trophy at the end of this season :)

:beer:

On 5/16/2022 at 5:49 PM, whorlnut said:

My breaking point would be if he nearly single handedly is the reason we lose in the playoffs again. Last season is still painful. He didn’t do a single thing right in those 13 seconds. From the botched kickoff, to calling two timeouts and not making the right defensive calls. I am ok with him unless he has a complete meltdown again. 

Well being the team that made it to the SB 4 times & lost i'm thinking that McD would & should have quite a bit of rope , this team was in the longest winning drought in professional sports history & has now been winning every single year since he's been here so because he doesn't take you to the SB every year you want him gone ?

Let's look at some teams that should be teams the Bills should pattern them selves after & my first is the Steelers who have had only 3 HC's in 52 years or & 16 over all 18 in 50+ and 2 championships to show for it so stability hasn't been a strong suit of the Bills .

I think other than a complete melt down during the season but i don't see that happening given who they have on the roster i would keep McD it is rare that you get a team stepping together the way that the GM & coaching staff does .

Besides if those calls last year were made by the people he hired then they are the ones that ned to be gone . Could that once again have been the reason why Farwell left because he screwed up then why did Frasier called that D at that time sure McD is the HC but he hires those people to make those calls .

Ultimately it all rests on his shoulders at the end of the day but i'm not ready to get rid of him as of yet i think he has learned and will possibly make some more mistakes at times but over all I'd rather have him for the future than most any one else out there at this time .

If we win the Super Bowl, I think McD has earned the right to stay for a few more years. If we lose in the playoffs, it depends, if it's game mismanagement like in KC, then maybe. McD will wind up somewhere else and be successful, he's a very young coach who compares nicely with KC's Reid in his early years, it's just that he's really competing with football minds that have a 15-20 year experience advantage over him. When I look at McD's progress from a DC in Carolina to his HC years in Buffalo, I see continued growth, and I'm a loyal enough Bills fan to be vocally greedy about wanting a dynasty, not just one Super Bowl, but 4-5 at least... and I see the potential of him doing that. 

I think he gets unfair pressure, if we didn't make the playoffs I would be concerned, but if you look at his pattern of growth, I don't think we have anything to worry about. 

Edited by extrahammer
  • Dislike 3

He’s built a culture and community where millionaires, with no organic vested interest in the Buffalo community chose to surrender their free time and support the local community though a difficult time, and there were all pro multimillionaires serving food to a community and laying flowers in unity empathy and support. 

he’s got a job as long as he wants 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Maybe if I spent the entire season smoking crack followed by injections of heroin.  I think that’s the only way I could be so whacked out of my mind enough to even entertain the idea that firing McDermott would be anywhere near a good idea.

All you dipp schzitts that want to blame him for anything less than winning the Super Bowl are absolutely freaking delusional.

On 5/18/2022 at 11:10 PM, newcam2012 said:

Obviously, not a popular post. Missing the playoffs would be horrible. If Allen is healthy then coach McDs seat will be hot.

Personally, I think Coach McD did some of his worst coaching last year. He was unprepared in the opener vs the Steelers and made little to no halftime adjustments. Additionally, look at the Indy and games as well. The playoff loss is all on him!!!  Now don't get me wrong, I do believe he's a very good coach. I don't think he has lost the locker room. This season will tell us a lot about if his time is nearing. Sometimes it's time to move on, get new blood in, etc...The major issue I see is no one out there whose available seems like a better option than Coach McD. Perhaps a Sean Payton or Brian Flores? In concluding, Coach MCD is solid and still has the respect of the players. He has built a culture of winning and the players still play hard for him. As for the xs and os, I think he was slightly weaker last year. I'm not going to give you hate for talking about moving on from coach McD. I think it's a legit question in next couple of years. 

A better option - Brian Flores 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Good God - the man coached a team to multiple playoff less seasons where they underachieved and he totally mishandled the QB position and screwed up an entire organization - yeah let’s bring that in 🤢🤢🤮.

You can say McD was worse last year, but the fact is - like most excellent coaches - he is trusting his coordinators to do their job and he is managing the ship.  The X’s and O’s Are handled by the coordinators - McD ensures they are aligned.  

Did he have issues - yep there are 2 or 3 games he couldn’t get his players ready for, but that is countered by games like KC early in the year - where when his #1 DB was healthy they manhandled the Chiefs.  Or look to the NE game #2 or Playoffs - where they dominated a division foe that was playoff level.

The thought at this point of replacing McD is being driven by a frustrated Miami fan that wants to see us fail.  It is incredibly stupid timing as the Bills have been and continue to be an ascending team.  If McD was a bad coach or a coach players didn’t want to play for - how likely is it the biggest FA chooses Buffalo over LA for similar money?  You do not let that man go at this time - you look at places like Pittsburgh and Philadelphia (with Reid) and KC (with Reid) and you stay the course and let him bring home the wins.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

A better option - Brian Flores 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Good God - the man coached a team to multiple playoff less seasons where they underachieved and he totally mishandled the QB position and screwed up an entire organization - yeah let’s bring that in 🤢🤢🤮.

You can say McD was worse last year, but the fact is - like most excellent coaches - he is trusting his coordinators to do their job and he is managing the ship.  The X’s and O’s Are handled by the coordinators - McD ensures they are aligned.  

Did he have issues - yep there are 2 or 3 games he couldn’t get his players ready for, but that is countered by games like KC early in the year - where when his #1 DB was healthy they manhandled the Chiefs.  Or look to the NE game #2 or Playoffs - where they dominated a division foe that was playoff level.

The thought at this point of replacing McD is being driven by a frustrated Miami fan that wants to see us fail.  It is incredibly stupid timing as the Bills have been and continue to be an ascending team.  If McD was a bad coach or a coach players didn’t want to play for - how likely is it the biggest FA chooses Buffalo over LA for similar money?  You do not let that man go at this time - you look at places like Pittsburgh and Philadelphia (with Reid) and KC (with Reid) and you stay the course and let him bring home the wins. 

You are taking what I said out of context. For the most part, I agree with your post. My main thesis is that perhaps it might be time to think about making a coaching change in the next few years. Especially, if the coach can't get it done, the team under performs,  there is a viable replacement coach, and he chokes playoff games away in 13 seconds. Right now, hands down he's the best man for the job. Down the road who knows? I'm not locked into saying Coach McD is the Bills coach for decades.  Will he bring the cherished Lombardi trophy home to Buffalo or will he blow the opportunity like last year? Coaches like BB, Payton, Reid, Harbaugh, Tomlin, and Arians have something that Coach MCD doesn't have. That's a Lombardi trophy! The bar is set high and nothing less ahould be acceptable. If he can't get it done then bring someone in who can!

On 5/18/2022 at 11:26 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

The good news is that none of its gonna happen given we will be hosting that Lombardi trophy at the end of this season :)

:beer:

Bold prediction. Especially after Coach McD demonstrated how to lose that chance in 13 seconds. Hopefully, he has learned from his collasal blunder. 

• Eyeroll 1

On 5/19/2022 at 7:44 AM, extrahammer said:

If we win the Super Bowl, I think McD has earned the right to stay for a few more years. If we lose in the playoffs, it depends, if it's game mismanagement like in KC, then maybe. McD will wind up somewhere else and be successful, he's a very young coach who compares nicely with KC's Reid in his early years, it's just that he's really competing with football minds that have a 15-20 year experience advantage over him. When I look at McD's progress from a DC in Carolina to his HC years in Buffalo, I see continued growth, and I'm a loyal enough Bills fan to be vocally greedy about wanting a dynasty, not just one Super Bowl, but 4-5 at least... and I see the potential of him doing that. 

I think he gets unfair pressure, if we didn't make the playoffs I would be concerned, but if you look at his pattern of growth, I don't think we have anything to worry about. 

Let's win one before we start talking dynasty and 4 or 5. Every coach is under pressure. I don't see MCD as getting unfair pressure. Good God did you see the last 13 seconds of the KC game? To be honest, the media and most fans have given him much less criticism than he deserves. Basically, he avoided addressing his blunders and was given a free pass. I would've had much more respect if he came out and said I blew it and apologized to the team and the fans. I can respect that and would undoubtedly stand behind him for another year. Put up or shut up if you will. He has arguably the best QB in the game. No more excuses! Nothing less than a Lombardi trophy should be the standard for the next few years with a healthy Allen. Will Coach McD be the next Mary Schott???

On 5/19/2022 at 8:26 PM, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

He’s built a culture and community where millionaires, with no organic vested interest in the Buffalo community chose to surrender their free time and support the local community though a difficult time, and there were all pro multimillionaires serving food to a community and laying flowers in unity empathy and support. 

he’s got a job as long as he wants 

It's great that the players did that. However, to give Coach McD credit for this is a big stretch. Let's face it, I think it's reasonable to think other players in other cities would have done similar acts of kindness. In times of horrific tragedy, even rich millionaire football players will do the right thing. 

31 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Coaches like BB, Payton, Reid, Harbaugh, Tomlin, and Arians have something that Coach MCD doesn't have. That's a Lombardi trophy! The bar is set high and nothing less ahould be acceptable. If he can't get it done then bring someone in who can!

Yea but you suggested Brian Flores who blew a playoff spot against McDermott's backups..... 

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Apocalypse Nuts said:

Maybe if I spent the entire season smoking crack followed by injections of heroin.  I think that’s the only way I could be so whacked out of my mind enough to even entertain the idea that firing McDermott would be anywhere near a good idea.

All you dipp schzitts that want to blame him for anything less than winning the Super Bowl are absolutely freaking delusional.

Right now isn't the time to fire Coach McD. That is a given and I really don't see anyone advocating that. However, he will face mounting pressure if the team doesn't make a super bowl appearance, win it all,  and continues to make collasal mistakes that cause playoff losses. 

• Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.