Is there any circumstances you would move on from McDermott after 2022?

FilthyBeast

Under what circumstance whout you move on from McDermott after 2022  

357 members have voted

1. 1. Under what circumstance whout you move on from McDermott after 2022

• Nothing. He's my head coach and still want him here no matter what happens in 2022
    • Anything short of a SB appearance and/or championship
    • Losing season/miss playoffs and injuries are not a main factor in this
    • Losing to KC in the playoffs for a 3rd straight year

14 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Nothing’s impossible but it’s as close to impossible as it gets to make such a massive screwup like that again.  Frazier and Daboll called all the plays last year I believe.

Didn’t it take Bill Cowher more than a decade or something to win one?

I think he may also be on that list, but again the point is that it's a very small list of teams/coaches that have accomplished this which is why it's not necessarily a good omen for McDermott.

Nothing. He's my head coach and still want him here no matter what happens in 2022

Glad to see that is by far, the fans choice. It's time to stop knee-jerk firing people. Follow the Steelers model and have the same head coach for 15 years and counting.

Fantasy team owners forget it's a two-step process. It's always fun for them to fire someone. But if you fire him, then step 2: who you gonna hire who will be an improvement? I see no one out there who can be an improvement over McDermott.

18 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

If he was better than 90% of the coaches in the league he'd have a SB ring by now considering there is more than 10% of them currently coaching that have at least one.

Nobody is debating that he's not a good coach including myself. The question is whether or not he's good enough to take this team to the next level or just another modern day Marty Schotenheimer.

Also history is not on McDermott's side in terms of the history of coaches in this league that have won a SB after more than 5 seasons with a team. Ironically his mentor and nemesis Andy Reid is one of the few that have done this but it took landing a generational talent like Mahomes to finally do it.

This is just dumb.  He’s been a HC as long as McVay, who just won his first SB.  Prior to last season, would McVay have been considered outside of the top 10%?  But it took his GM trading picks at the deadline to get Von Miller to get that SB.  If Beane would have made that trade for Miller, McD probably would’ve won instead.  

Took Belichick 7 years.  
Took Landry 12 years 

Took Noll 6 years 

Andy Reid 21 years

Dungy 11 years 

Cowher 14 years 

Vermeil 10 years

On 5/16/2022 at 8:34 PM, todd said:

Yeah, fire the best coach since Marv. Great idea! Total coaching staff overhaul that follows would be awesome! What the hell, why not just fire him now? Get a head start on it! 

Wasn’t there a similar crusade every week or two during the season? 

Individuals are often awesome. Groups of people are typically stupid.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, boater said:

Glad to see that is by far, the fans choice. It's time to stop knee-jerk firing people. Follow the Steelers model and have the same head coach for 15 years and counting.

Fantasy team owners forget it's a two-step process. It's always fun for them to fire someone. But if you fire him, then step 2: who you gonna hire who will be an improvement? I see no one out there who can be an improvement over McDermott.

The steelers model is based on their current head coach getting his team to 3 SB's and winning 2 of them. He's also never had a losing season there which is absurd when you think about it.

So yah if McDermott can come close to matching Tomlin's record and accolades in this league why would you even think about firing him?

But the crux of the matter and premise of this thread is based on McDermott's current status (3-4 in the playoffs including 4 road losses) and lack of SB appearances/wins and how much longer the Pegulas can be patient if he fails to deliver again this year.

• Disagree 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I can see a route to the second (though narrow), can't see a route to the first. 

Of course you can. And imo it will happen if the Bills haven't won a Super Bowl by the time they need to start negotiating Allen's next contract.

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Of course you can. And imo it will happen if the Bills haven't won a Super Bowl by the time they need to start negotiating Allen's next contract.

I agree if that happens McDermott is out. But Beane will be gone with him.

As of right now, no..

This question probably reads to most as "If the Bills don't, at least, make the Super Bowl, would you consider moving on from McDermott?"

Of course, if the season goes off the rails, sure.. but we saw today, not one absence from a team event to be there for the community and honor those killed... McDermott is a leader of men, and I'm confident he leads us to Super Bowl win(s).  

15 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I agree with this. I don't mean McDermott micromanages and makes every decision. They trust each other, they empower each other. But of the two of them the one with the most power in the organisation is Sean. I really struggle to forsee any scenario in which Sean would go and Brandon would stay. 

I don't think that is the case though.  First, I think there are both almost equally admired throughout the organization all the way to the top.  I do not think it is it will a "he goes first" situation at all.  I think if there was ever a change made, it will come down to why we are making the change.

If the team comes up short continuously in the playoffs and we are getting our coached on the field, McD will be on the hot seat long before Beane.  If we are coming up short in the playoffs because we can't get the right personnel on the field to shore up weaknesess, then Beane will be under more heat than McD.  

I certianly do not think either is on any kind of a hot seat and fully expect them both to be hear a long time and have SB wins on their resumes.  But if this team gets bounced early in an upset in the playoffs this season, there is no doubt McD's seat is going to get hotter than Beane's.  GM's who deliver elite franchise QB's, and build super bowl caliber rosters are never the first to go over a coach when that team is under performing.  Beane is already getting praise as the top GM in football in some circles and polls, while McD is still being criticized for how we lost last year, how we looked out coached and classed the year before, and how we shot our selves in the foot the year before that against Houston too many times.  

I don't personally put all that on McD, and I feel he is one of the best coaches in football right now.  I don't think there is any way he would lose his job this year.  But, if its an early playoff exit with this roster, with these expectations, then its going to be him who is going to find his seat getting toast before Beane IMHO.  

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree if that happens McDermott is out. But Beane will be gone with him.

Completely agree---if that's the reason McDermott is dismissed. (Which once again, I DO NOT expect to happen for quite some time)

BUT the one situation I can see MdD being dismissed and Beane staying, is if McD is fired for some kind or Urban Meyer like scandal. Then I can definately see Beane remaining. But this situation is so far fetched, knowing what I know about McD, it's barely worth discussing. .

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don't think that is the case though.  First, I think there are both almost equally admired throughout the organization all the way to the top. 

From what I am told, by people who would know, that is not true. McDermott is absolutely the prodigal son to the Pegulas.  Look who got the new deal first too. I am told Beane was only being extended on the basis that McDermott signed. That is why it had to be McD first.

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

From what I am told, by people who would know, that is not true. McDermott is absolutely the prodigal son to the Pegulas.  Look who got the new deal first too. I am told Beane was only being extended on the basis that McDermott signed. That is why it had to be McD first.

I get that, but thats today...that is not next year after say an early playoff exit again.  We don know how he will be seen if that happens again.  I am definitely skeptical that holds true if we see another early exit this next year or two in the playoffs.  Losing changes peoples opinions real fast, especially once certain expectations are established.  

This is now a SB or bust team this year and the next few seasons.  Getting into the playoffs first and second rounds is not an accomplishment now, its a let down.  This team minimal expectation is AFCCG no matter what.  Entering a season with #1 Offense, #1 Defense, and a perennial MVP candidate at QB and the odds on favorite to win the SB.  You enter the season with that and then don't get out of the 2nd round of playoffs again, or even go one and done, then your coaching seat is definitely changing temperatures and getting warm.  

We have an early exit this after how we have exited the last few years, I just can't see how he doesn't get more scrutiny and end up with his seat warm heading into the following season.    

Don't get me wrong, I love McD and think he is a top 5 coach right now and I have all the confidence in him today moving forward.  Just saying this team was ready to win a SB last year, it looks to be improved even more this year.  Expectations are now high, and coming up short moving forward now will carry a lot more negative weight than what has happened the last 3 playoff exits where we were a team on the rise, not the team to beat per se.  

Personally, I think both McD and Beane are safe no matter what 2 more seasons...this one, and next.  But an early exit this year and I definitely think McD enters that following year under some pressure to deliver or his future could be in doubt otherwise.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don't think that is the case though.  First, I think there are both almost equally admired throughout the organization all the way to the top.  I do not think it is it will a "he goes first" situation at all.  I think if there was ever a change made, it will come down to why we are making the change.

If the team comes up short continuously in the playoffs and we are getting our coached on the field, McD will be on the hot seat long before Beane.  If we are coming up short in the playoffs because we can't get the right personnel on the field to shore up weaknesess, then Beane will be under more heat than McD.  

I certianly do not think either is on any kind of a hot seat and fully expect them both to be hear a long time and have SB wins on their resumes.  But if this team gets bounced early in an upset in the playoffs this season, there is no doubt McD's seat is going to get hotter than Beane's.  GM's who deliver elite franchise QB's, and build super bowl caliber rosters are never the first to go over a coach when that team is under performing.  Beane is already getting praise as the top GM in football in some circles and polls, while McD is still being criticized for how we lost last year, how we looked out coached and classed the year before, and how we shot our selves in the foot the year before that against Houston too many times.  

I don't personally put all that on McD, and I feel he is one of the best coaches in football right now.  I don't think there is any way he would lose his job this year.  But, if its an early playoff exit with this roster, with these expectations, then its going to be him who is going to find his seat getting toast before Beane IMHO.  

Sorry, I have to disagree. IF we flame out in the first round, he’s still safe. VERY safe. It’s very hard to win the Super Bowl, especially coming out of the AFC these days. He’s our guy. He built this culture. I can’t wait to see this team and this group of men out there competing again. 

To the OP, under NO realistic circumstances can I see us getting rid of our HC after this season. Period. 

Do you think the Eagles might like Andy Reid back? 

Edited by Augie
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Augie said:

Sorry, I have to disagree. IF we flame out in the first round, he’s still safe. VERY safe. It’s very hard to win the Super Bowl, especially coming out of the AFC these days. He’s our guy. He built this culture. I can’t wait to see this team and this group of men out there competing again. 

To the OP, under NO realistic circumstances can I see us getting rid of our HC after this season. Period. 

Do you think the Eagles might like Andy Reid back? 

You misunderstand me Augie...I totally 100% agree McD is safe, and NOT on a hot seat bud.  What I was responding to is who would be the first to be on the hot seat at some point, McD or Beane.  I was saying that if we have a couple of one and done seasons in a row in the playoffs for example, McD would have a hotter seat than Beane IMO.

But make no mistake about it, I absolutely have full confidence in McD and Beane, and believe they are the best tandem in the league.  In no way do I think they are on a hot seat now and I do believe they will deliver Buffalo a SB.

I was participating in others speculation that if things didn't go as expected, who of the two would face a hot seat first.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.