Is there any circumstances you would move on from McDermott after 2022?

FilthyBeast

Under what circumstance whout you move on from McDermott after 2022  

357 members have voted

1. 1. Under what circumstance whout you move on from McDermott after 2022

• Nothing. He's my head coach and still want him here no matter what happens in 2022
    • Anything short of a SB appearance and/or championship
    • Losing season/miss playoffs and injuries are not a main factor in this
    • Losing to KC in the playoffs for a 3rd straight year

49 minutes ago, Buffalosouth said:

I was thinking about this the other day. If they come out and get beat badly on week 1 it's going to be a big hit but not quite enough. If they lose enough games throughout the season from bad coaching the frogs in the water and the stove on. The straw that breaks the camels back for me would be him losing the team. That's what I worry about the most is the message getting old. If the process becomes a problem I wouldn't be too surprised if the Pegulas started having talks. The next question is are Beane and McDermott truly McBeane or would Beane stay? Is he good at drafting for McDermotts system or all around a good talent evaluator? 

This is why they need to win. Then I can just think 'Superbowl.'

Why would Beane leave if McDermott got fired? He would probably be the one leading the search for the next HC. With that said I don't see either one getting fired anytime soon.

21 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Why would Beane leave if McDermott got fired? He would probably be the one leading the search for the next HC. With that said I don't see either one getting fired anytime soon.

Because this is McDermott's show. He is the boss. Beane serves at his pleasure. 

4 minutes ago, K12A17 said:

Have you seen the coaches we've had since Marv retired, he's better than 90% of the coaches in the league. where do you people come from/

If he was better than 90% of the coaches in the league he'd have a SB ring by now considering there is more than 10% of them currently coaching that have at least one.

Nobody is debating that he's not a good coach including myself. The question is whether or not he's good enough to take this team to the next level or just another modern day Marty Schotenheimer.

Also history is not on McDermott's side in terms of the history of coaches in this league that have won a SB after more than 5 seasons with a team. Ironically his mentor and nemesis Andy Reid is one of the few that have done this but it took landing a generational talent like Mahomes to finally do it.

• Vomit 1

53 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I think both guys are as safe in their job as it gets. My wondering was more on are they tied together enough that they would be fired together. I'm all about the process to the point I clap non stop coaching my kids flag teams.

42 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I think that’s a very shallow interpretation of the Bills’ front office dynamic.

IMO, it is an extremely simplistic version of dynamic. And I respect Gunner's opinions more than I respect anyone's on this board. 

If McDermott and Beane have a power struggle, then it's Beane who likely goes. That I believe. So in that respect, he does "serve at McD's pleasure" in a way.

But to think McDermott micromanages and makes the call on every move Beane makes is complete BS, IMO.  I know Gunner didn't say that, but others have intimated that Beane's decisions are dictated by McD.  That's not the case. McD let's Beane do his job. Beane knows what McD wants and needs and goes from there. He obviously takes input from the coaching staff. 

On 5/16/2022 at 6:46 PM, FilthyBeast said:

Now that the dust has settled from the draft and we move closer to the 2022 season, was curious what the current pulse is on McDermott. Expectations are obviously sky high in Buffalo and it's truly SB or bust as far as a lot of fans and pundits see it.

On one hand the McDermott is still the best HC this franchise has seen since Levy and the 90's, but on the other the stench of playoff loss in KC still looms large and could be an issue in the locker room if this team gets off to a slow start in 2022. I would go as far to say his regular season record against playoff teams and never being able to win a road playoff game is a root cause for serious concern as well.

Adding a poll here but personally there are 2 scenarios I would pull the trigger on dumping McDermott after 2022:

1) We have a losing season/miss playoffs (with major injuries NOT being a factor in this).

2) We lose to KC in the playoffs for a 3rd straight season regardless of round or whether game is in Buffalo/KC.

Either of these happen and the Pegulas have to seriously ask themselves where they seem the direction of this team heading under McDermott knowing you are only going to get so many bites at the apple once Allen's contract kicks in similar to Mahomes in KC. Beane cannot show blind loyalty either IMO and look at himself and McDermott as a package deal moving forward.

All due respect,  but you are a total dumb as and I’m immensely happy you are not in charge of this team.  What are you like 15?  

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, skibum said:

Any sort of repeat of the 13 seconds shenanigans would make it really hard to argue that McDermott is a guy who can win a title. But it would be very, very difficult to replace what he has brought to the organization. I think it might be more appropriate to give more play calling authority to the coordinators, or something along those lines, if in-game strategy continues to be an issue. 

Nothing’s impossible but it’s as close to impossible as it gets to make such a massive screwup like that again.  Frazier and Daboll called all the plays last year I believe.

3 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Also history is not on McDermott's side in terms of the history of coaches in this league that have won a SB after more than 5 seasons with a team. Ironically his mentor and nemesis Andy Reid is one of the few that have done this but it took landing a generational talent like Mahomes to finally do it.

Didn’t it take Bill Cowher more than a decade or something to win one?

5 hours ago, Greg S said:

Money.  There would be a bidding war for them as a pair and they’d become the highest paid head coach and GM in history.

7 hours ago, The Dean said:

IMO, it is an extremely simplistic version of dynamic. And I respect Gunner's opinions more than I respect anyone's on this board. 

If McDermott and Beane have a power struggle, then it's Beane who likely goes. That I believe. So in that respect, he does "serve at McD's pleasure" in a way.

But to think McDermott micromanages and makes the call on every move Beane makes is complete BS, IMO.  I know Gunner didn't say that, but others have intimated that Beane's decisions are dictated by McD.  That's not the case. McD let's Beane do his job. Beane knows what McD wants and needs and goes from there. He obviously takes input from the coaching staff. 

Yea I agree with this. I don't mean McDermott micromanages and makes every decision. They trust each other, they empower each other. But of the two of them the one with the most power in the organisation is Sean. I really struggle to forsee any scenario in which Sean would go and Brandon would stay. 

14 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Because this is McDermott's show. He is the boss. Beane serves at his pleasure. 

I think Terry and Kim Pegula would have something to say about that. Besides GM's and HC's aren't joined at the hip. For example Adam Gase was the one who helped Joe Douglas get the Jets GM job similar to McDermott playing a role to get Beane here. Douglas is still the Jets GM. What happened to Adam Gase?

34 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I think Terry and Kim Pegula would have something to say about that. Besides GM's and HC's aren't joined at the hip. For example Adam Gase was the one who helped Joe Douglas get the Jets GM job similar to McDermott playing a role to get Beane here. Douglas is still the Jets GM. What happened to Adam Gase?

This example is nothing like the Jets example. They were a dysfunctional mess whereas this is a totally aligned and functional organisation. I still can't conceive any scenario where Beane remains and McDermott goes. McDermott is very much Pegula's guy. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

This example is nothing like the Jets example. They were a dysfunctional mess whereas this is a totally aligned and functional organisation. I still can't conceive any scenario where Beane remains and McDermott goes. McDermott is very much Pegula's guy. 

For the record I think both will be here a long time. But if McDermott were to get fired that doesn't mean Beane goes as well. Same if Beane were to get canned and McDermott stays.

• Disagree 1

34 minutes ago, Greg S said:

For the record I think both will be here a long time. But if McDermott were to get fired that doesn't mean Beane goes as well. Same if Beane were to get canned and McDermott stays.

I can see a route to the second (though narrow), can't see a route to the first. 

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Like I said. It depends.

If they have disappointing playoff outs the next couple years and follow that up with a losing season, your not being realistic if you don’t think McDs job may be in question. 

Things change in the NFL pretty damn quick… not sure why fans have a hard time grasping that. 

As a Bills fan, you should know why.  Very good to great coaches don’t grow on trees. If you don’t have one, you usually end up with a new HC every 1-2 years and spin your wheels for a decade+.

Otherwise, I agree with your take.  He’s not untouchable until he wins a Super Bowl.  If we don’t make the Super Bowl over the course of the next 2 seasons, it might be time to find someone that can get us there.  We can’t waste 17.

If he wins one this I’d give him and Beane another 5 years.  

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.