Is there any circumstances you would move on from McDermott after 2022?

FilthyBeast

Under what circumstance whout you move on from McDermott after 2022  

357 members have voted

1. 1. Under what circumstance whout you move on from McDermott after 2022

• Nothing. He's my head coach and still want him here no matter what happens in 2022
    • Anything short of a SB appearance and/or championship
    • Losing season/miss playoffs and injuries are not a main factor in this
    • Losing to KC in the playoffs for a 3rd straight year

Don’t see moving on from either Beane or McD this decade, they’ve earned a ton of slack, but for crying out loud get a 16-year-old Madden player to delegate the game management decisions. McD made massive mistakes last season that were the margins in the key losses. The 21 Bills were a 15-win SB champ with even average situational decision making.

• Eyeroll 1

19 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Just can't see how fans would remain so blindly loyal and content if this team were to miss the playoffs (which is not as unrealistic as fans think sadly for a multitude of reasons).

I only see two routes to the Bills missing the playoffs:

1 - Josh gets a serious injury (crossing everything that he doesn't) in which case all bets are off;

2 - The oline sinks us - which I would put at Brandon Beane's door. It is the one area where I just don't think he has done enough. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, GolfandBills said:

0-17

Yea this.  McDermott would have to really lose the players if they go 0-17 and then you have no choice but to make changes.  Cannot justify canning him unless it is absolutely obvious there's a coaching-player disconnect that cannot be corrected.  We have too much talent in both the players and the staff imho to have such a complete breakdown. 

I want the Bills to win the Super Bowl of course but really if they do it doesn't really change my fandom and I expect with the talent and the coaching too that all the Bills games will be highly entertaining and that alone is a win for all Bills Mafia.  

There are many more things in life that are much more critical than whether the Bills bring the Lombardi to Buffalo after this next Super Bowl.  

I will cheer them on whether or not they are winning.  Winning is not a condition to earn my fandom.  I'm not a fan of Tom Brady even though he's been a winner more often than not.  

22 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

necco-wafers-2020-spangler.jpg

If I saw him eating these.  

I respect all people.  All races.  All creeds.

However, if you eat these please know that I am perfectly comfortable stating the FACT that you will rot in hell for all eternity...because you will...because it's a fact.

Dude those are awesome...with the exception of the purple-ish black licorice flavored ones. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

Nothing short of a full on player revolt or him getting caught doing some despicable act or committing some serious crime.

I’m cool with the despicable act or serious crime if we win the Super Bowl

28 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

necco-wafers-2020-spangler.jpg

If I saw him eating these.  

I respect all people.  All races.  All creeds.

However, if you eat these please know that I am perfectly comfortable stating the FACT that you will rot in hell for all eternity...because you will...because it's a fact.

New England Confectionery Company. Well maybe not treason

Edited by uticaclub
  • Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I only see two routes to the Bills missing the playoffs:

1 - Josh gets a serious injury (crossing everything that he doesn't) in which case all bets are off;

2 - The oline sinks us - which I would put at Brandon Beane's door. It is the one area where I just don't think he has done enough. 

I also still worry about this oline and think the Saffold signing is way overblown especially since he's a veteran player that's clearly on the decline and nothing more than a stopgap that will be long gone next year. And for the 2nd straight year we had a golden opportunity to draft IOL and passed for a tweener/undersized LB.

I also worry about Spencer Brown falling victim to the dread Buffalo sophmore curse despite the promise he showed last year when in the lineup.

• Agree 1

Unless the Bills completely implode and fail to be in playoff contention (without an injury to Josh Allen), McDermott stays.  Every coach makes questionable calls - think of Pete Carroll throwing the ball on the goal line against NE with Lynch in the backfield - likely costing the Seahawks a SB - but he's been a successful coach for a long time and he (appropriately) kept his job.  Remember, McDermott got this team into the playoffs (even if just barely) in a Tyrod Taylor/Nate Peterman season and then has reached new heights with Allen under center.  The guy isn't perfect - nobody is - but he's an excellent coach that has won a lot of games.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not sure the people that want McD here no matter what really appreciate how great #17 was in the playoffs and generally how great he is and can still be. 

I understand McD is part of the regime that brought him here...but I also know he's gagged it up in both of the last 2 playoff games vs KC. We've seen many times in sports where a team has had to move on from a coach who was part of bringing in an elite player to another coach to be able to take the next step. The coach that helped bring a team to contention isn't necessarily the right coach to move forward with. 

I think Josh is amazing enough that we can still win a SB with McD here...but I think it's going to be tougher and I think we'll be limited to possibly 1 title rather than a shot at a dynasty. 

As I've said before...it's only opinion and I have no proof as nobody does of what could have happened if not for 13 seconds...but I really believe we would've won the SB with a competent in-game coach. Unless of course he gagged in one of those games too, entirely possible. 

Realistically I don't think he's going anywhere unless we have a really disappointing season, it would probably be something like missing the playoffs with Josh being healthy or something drastic like that...so I'm hoping for the best. 

• Disagree 2

8 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

The guy above wants to give McDermott most of the credit for Allen, so I'm going to give him most of the blame for not having the communication lines squared away in the most important game of his career.

No disrespect here, but you’re basically declaring your counter argument is rooted in being more petty than accurate.  You’re basically saying because he said that I’m gonna say this.

And you’re wrong, it’s not McDs job to micro manage his positional coaches during games or even in a big moment like that.  There is trust and lines of communication, and it was NOT a breakdown in our HC line of communication.  He made a standard call like any other moment.  His ST Coach made a colossal blunder after that where there was no way McD could know that until it happened. 

And it’s precisely why our ST coach chose to resign and take the same position with the lowly Jags so he wouldn’t have to be thrown under the bus and fired, which was a classy move by McD to keep it internal.  

8 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I don't want him fired or anything. I'm just saying there's an argument to be made that he gets into big spots and gags them away.

You said McDermott is mostly responsible for Allen. That's the bad take.

I'll repeat- Josh Allen is 10x better at QB than Sean McDermott is at head coaching. I'm not going to debate this.

Sorry, you can’t discredit the unbelievable job McD has done here over your gripe about the 13 seconds, especially since both the ST coach and players on the field after the kick hold more responsibility.  

He has 100% completely rebuilt this culture, the locker room, unified this team, and developed our young talent on both sides of the ball.  Tre, MIlano, Dawkins that first draft…then Allen, Edmunds, Devin, Knox, Oliver, Davis, Phillips, Levi, Dane, etc.  Most those guys were not even high prospects, yet they developed into important starters and players here.  

Look at what happened when we brought in a guy who didn’t mesh with his previous staff as well in Diggs, he became a team leader here and vital piece to our team.

Beane deserves a ton of credit too in working with McD and his scouts to find the right players for McD.  But it’s McD that turned them into vital players for this franchise.  

So to say Allen is 10x better player than McD is at coaching is just a silly and overly exaggerative statement that really isn’t close to accurate.  

McD right now, even without yet having a SB ring, is without question a top 5 coach in the NFL.  And once he gets his ring, he will have a case as best coach in the league.  

It’s not easy to get to the SB, and sometimes teams need to go through things like we did before they get there. Allen is only 25, yet people in this thread saying ridiculous things like “McD is wasting his prime”.  That’s so hilarious and silly, Allen hasn’t even reached his prime yet, he is still improving year to year.  

Finally…I can’t wait to come back to this thread after we hoist the Lombardi trophy this next February.  

GO BILLS

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

10 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Or and this is a hypothetical, maybe people just remember the 17 years of no playoffs that proceeded him? Seriously it isn't just one flukey appearance now either, he's taken this team to the playoffs 4/5 years he's been here. 🤷‍♂️

10 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

He has the best quarterback in the league. 

He had the best QB in the league?  Really?

He didn’t when he broke the drought with Tyrod and Pickerman.

He didn’t when we got there in Allen’s second year.  

So yeah, having the best QB in the league is not why he broke the playoff drought and we turned into a perennial playoff team.  He made the playoffs 2 of the first 3 years here with Tyrod/Pickerman combo and an under 60% passing Allen who couldn’t hit a deep ball most the season.  

He just happened to also develop that young QB further into the best QB in the league along the way.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I think fans want a SB and if the Bills lose another playoff game in similar fashion to how they did last year many  fans will be calling for his head… 

That’s a big if.

But, yes, there will always be a group of folks who will seek to blame lay when they don’t receive their desired outcome.

You can apply that to the totality of human existence. We all do it, but such responses tend to be emotional and reactive.

Edited by Seoulofstone
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I honestly can’t think of a single topic you have ever had any positivity on.  You’re literally a broken record of doom and gloom. 

And sorry, it will be nearly impossible for a healthy 2022 Bills team to miss the playoffs.  I’ll bet you any amount of money that if Josh Allen stays healthy as well as the majority of the team that we make the playoffs. 

Almost every odds maker in the country feels the same given the majority have given them the best odds to not only make the Super Bowl, but win it.

And enough about the anomaly of the Jags game.   Bengals lost to the Jets and went to the SB.  It freaking happens, but you dedicated career wet blankets are so desperate to hold on to your negative and pessimistic outlooks you cling to it like a baby on it’s mother boob as if it defined the team while we were in the playoffs when we averaged 41.5 points per game and set records.  

You use the word anomaly as if there is something unusual about unexpected results in the NFL.

Every game the 2021 Bills lost on their way to 7-6 thru 13 games they had been favored to win.

The unexpected is normal in the NFL. 

If you don't want to be disagreed with then don't make utterly illogical statements.  

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I think fans want a SB and if the Bills lose another playoff game in similar fashion to how they did last year many  fans will be calling for his head… 

You mean the same fans that called for Beanes head when we drafted the wrong Josh?  

Same fans who called for McDs head and Beanes head after almost any regular season loss the last few years? 

The same fans who thought a plethora of wrong and stupid things during this regime?

Yeah…I don’t think they care what the fans think, if they had, we would still be a 5 win team max.  

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No disrespect here, but you’re basically declaring your counter argument is rooted in being more petty than accurate.  You’re basically saying because he said that I’m gonna say this.

And you’re wrong, it’s not McDs job to micro manage his positional coaches during games or even in a big moment like that.  There is trust and lines of communication, and it was NOT a breakdown in our HC line of communication.  He made a standard call like any other moment.  His ST Coach made a colossal blunder after that where there was no way McD could know that until it happened. 

And it’s precisely why our ST coach chose to resign and take the same position with the lowly Jags so he wouldn’t have to be thrown under the bus and fired, which was a classy move by McD to keep it internal.  

Sorry, you can’t discredit the unbelievable job McD has done here over your gripe about the 13 seconds, especially since both the ST coach and players on the field after the kick hold more responsibility.  

He has 100% completely rebuilt this culture, the locker room, unified this team, and developed our young talent on both sides of the ball.  Tre, MIlano, Dawkins that first draft…then Allen, Edmunds, Devin, Knox, Oliver, Davis, Phillips, Levi, Dane, etc.  Most those guys were not even high prospects, yet they developed into important starters and players here.  

Look at what happened when we brought in a guy who didn’t mesh with his previous staff as well in Diggs, he became a team leader here and vital piece to our team.

Beane deserves a ton of credit too in working with McD and his scouts to find the right players for McD.  But it’s McD that turned them into vital players for this franchise.  

So to say Allen is 10x better player than McD is at coaching is just a silly and overly exaggerative statement that really isn’t close to accurate.  

McD right now, even without yet having a SB ring, is without question a top 5 coach in the NFL.  And once he gets his ring, he will have a case as best coach in the league.  

It’s not easy to get to the SB, and sometimes teams need to go through things like we did before they get there. Allen is only 25, yet people in this thread saying ridiculous things like “McD is wasting his prime”.  That’s so hilarious and silly, Allen hasn’t even reached his prime yet, he is still improving year to year.  

Finally…I can’t wait to come back to this thread after we hoist the Lombardi trophy this next February.  

GO BILLS

So in your eyes...the Lombardi would elevate McD's standing as a coach but not winning it with a SB caliber roster doesn't take him down any notches. Interesting. 

I don't see it quite that way, for me it's evaluating him regardless. If McD gags in the biggest moments for a 3rd postseason in a row but #17 bails him out and we win it all, as he almost did this past January, I don't think that elevates McD somehow. Just like if McD becomes a great in-game decision maker this season and has a great postseason but we lose for a different reason, I do think that would still elevate him. I can't agree at all that a guy that's made horrible in-game decisions in the playoffs two years in a row is a top 5 coach as it stands.

But for you it seems like this only moves one way and there's really no accountability for him. We're all fans so it doesn't really matter in the end but it's just a strange philosophy to me. And yeah Allen is only 25...but these are still precious years and it is a big deal when a coach blows a great chance at a SB. I think you need at least a little bit of luck in terms of things like team health, being in the kind of zone Josh was in at the right time, etc and this postseason was one where everything had really lined up. 

• Dislike 1

McDermott is not above criticism. I don’t think he’s a top 5 coach personally but he’s in range. 

What I find funny are these attempts to insulate him from criticism…like people saying if the team falls short of expectations this season it will somehow be Beane’s fault. This while the Bills are Super Bowl favorites and the roster is absolutely loaded.

31 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I'm not sure the people that want McD here no matter what really appreciate how great #17 was in the playoffs and generally how great he is and can still be. 

This is bold. Only people who are McD skeptics can appreciate Josh’s true greatness?

I understand McD is part of the regime that brought him here...but I also know he's gagged it up in both of the last 2 playoff games vs KC. We've seen many times in sports where a team has had to move on from a coach who was part of bringing in an elite player to another coach to be able to take the next step. The coach that helped bring a team to contention isn't necessarily the right coach to move forward with. 

Have you stopped for a moment to consider what would happen if McD left? Would Beane stay? What about the culture? The resulting roster turnover? The coaching staff? 

It’s not as straightforward as you make it sound.

31 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.