Is there any circumstances you would move on from McDermott after 2022?

FilthyBeast

Under what circumstance whout you move on from McDermott after 2022  

357 members have voted

1. 1. Under what circumstance whout you move on from McDermott after 2022

• Nothing. He's my head coach and still want him here no matter what happens in 2022
    • Anything short of a SB appearance and/or championship
    • Losing season/miss playoffs and injuries are not a main factor in this
    • Losing to KC in the playoffs for a 3rd straight year

lets take the most likely WORST case scenario

bills make playoffs and get upset in first round AND he makes a couple of questionable coaching decisions...

even then, he's not getting fired.

the real most likely scenario is bills make it to at least the AFC championship game......no matter the outcome, he's not getting fired.

at this point, he'd have to screw up badly, to end more than one season......i dont see it happening.....he's our coach for many years to come

The man has done nothing short of change the attitude and culture of the Buffalo Bills around. The incompetency and frustration that came year after year after year is not forgotten. The constant butt end of all the sports announcers jokes. It was not easy to be a Buffalo Bills fan in those days. Look at the Bills now, look at what they have become. The reality is that McD is what we all wished for when we had Dick Jauron. He has earned himself a very long leash in my opinion and he is THE coach of the Buffalo Bills and that is a GREAT thing. 

• Thank you (+1) 3

11 hours ago, Limeaid said:

0-13 with 4 forfeits just so the analretentive 13 seconds people would be happy.

Exactly, ( ya know they are all still pouty over it) 😁👍

Only way he would get fired or the Pegula's might consider firing him is if he lost the locker room (doubt this happens) or the Bills had an extremely bad season like 4-13 or something like that where Injuries DON'T play a factor. Doubt this happens as well. I think he will be the coach for a long time, same with Beane as the GM. Both have done a great job in building the team into a winner and changing the culture of the franchise. If the Bills can somehow win a Super Bowl then that automatically makes McDermott and Beane the greatest HC/GM in Bills history.

52 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It really all depends, but he needs a SB victory within the next few years IMO. 

For example, If for the next two years they continue to makes the playoffs but fail to achieve the SB victory and then have a disappointing losing season the next season, I could easily see him gone.

When he first came he needed to end the drought. Then he needed to find a franchise QB. Then he needed a playoff win. Then he needed to beat the Patriots. Then he needed a division title. Then he needed to show the Chiefs could be beaten.

All of these things have been achieved and he has averaged just under 10 wins per season across 5 years. Why would people think he can’t take the next step?

Edited by Seoulofstone

Any sort of repeat of the 13 seconds shenanigans would make it really hard to argue that McDermott is a guy who can win a title. But it would be very, very difficult to replace what he has brought to the organization. I think it might be more appropriate to give more play calling authority to the coordinators, or something along those lines, if in-game strategy continues to be an issue. 

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I didn’t say he can’t… in this league and the given example that I gave above, it would be easy to see the Bills move on from him.  

I didn’t say you did, although I did quote you so I see why you thought I was responding directly. Where I would disagree is that I don’t think it will ever be easy for the Bills to move on from McD. For the reasons that I listed. I think people suggesting otherwise may be wanting it more than believing it.

Edited by Seoulofstone

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I miss being mired in an endless playoff drought.

All kidding aside I really will miss Bills games being played at 1:00. I am happy the Bills are getting national attention but 1:00 starts will always be my favorite time for a Bills game.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Greg S said:

All kidding aside I really will miss Bills games being played at 1:00. I am happy the Bills are getting national attention but 1:00 starts will always be my favorite time for a Bills game.

We all have our priorities.

But I was just marveling at how jaded people get about winning. Enough where they start taking about monkeying with what got you there.

McDermott and Beane should retire as Bills. I don't want to discuss replacing either for decades.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

Thanks for all those that have participated thus far.

75% of the fans here are sold on McDermott no matter what apparently. I'm not necessarily shocked by this but I also have a sneaking suspicion that it's somewhat a state of denial response so to speak based on the current temperature of the offseason in that some fans are on cloud nine still and feeding off the media hype and may change certainly change their tune should one of aforementioned scenarios play out this fall when the games start being played.

Just can't see how fans would remain so blindly loyal and content if this team were to miss the playoffs (which is not as unrealistic as fans think sadly for a multitude of reasons).

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2

‘The Drought’ did enough damage to the local community psyche that the first Coach who had any sort of success would be very well insulated and protected in his job.

Fans are just happy to be in the conversation and considered a serious team on a season by season basis that the end results really don’t matter to the Head Coach or the Organization.

because the first thing any defender on McDermott would say if he loses is “don’t you remember how bad it used to be.”

so many…are just happy to be competitive. And maybe they are right.  I’m not one to say.

But…if it was Dallas, New England, Miami, LA, Chicago…

if those teams were not to win…after:

Spending all this money

Pre-Season Favorites

Vegas Favorites

MVP favorite

it would be End of Days in those cities and a national shame.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.