Is there any circumstances you would move on from McDermott after 2022?

FilthyBeast

Under what circumstance whout you move on from McDermott after 2022  

357 members have voted

1. 1. Under what circumstance whout you move on from McDermott after 2022

• Nothing. He's my head coach and still want him here no matter what happens in 2022
    • Anything short of a SB appearance and/or championship
    • Losing season/miss playoffs and injuries are not a main factor in this
    • Losing to KC in the playoffs for a 3rd straight year

Just now, Warcodered said:

Or and this is a hypothetical, maybe people just remember the 17 years of no playoffs that proceeded him? Seriously it isn't just one flukey appearance now either, he's taken this team to the playoffs 4/5 years he's been here.

He has the best quarterback in the league. 

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

He's failed miserably in the playoffs for 3 straight years with the Texans and last year being just brutally abysmal all time great coaching collapses.

75% say nothing? Looks like we have a lot of fans putting the coach above the team not holding him to the same standard, or just happy to "not suck" and make the playoffs. 

He has beenthe biggest flaw of the team for 2 years now.

He didn't fail in the playoffs. 

The Buffalo Bills did. 

Anyone calling for his head is clinically nuts. Clinically.

He and Beane are the reason for this team's ascendancy.

20 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

He has the best quarterback in the league. 

Why? Because he and the GM he brought in traded far up and picked that quarterback despite a ton of concern around the league that Allen would never be accurate.

Yes, he has the best QB in the league. He gets a ton of the credit for that, and for Allen's improvement because he put the systems around Allen that have helped and maximized his improvement. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

He didn't fail in the playoffs. 

The Buffalo Bills did. 

Anyone calling for his head is clinically nuts. Clinically.

He and Beane are the reason for this team's ascendancy.

Why? Because he and the GM he brought in traded far up and picked that quarterback despite a ton of concern around the league that Allen would never be accurate.

Yes, he has the best QB in the league. He gets a ton of the credit for that, and for Allen's improvement because he put the systems around Allen that have helped and maximized his improvement. 

I can give McDermott some credit for Allen. It seems you want to give him no blame for the Chiefs loss.

Without Josh Allen doing Josh Allen things last divisional round we lose two very similar blowouts to the same team two years running. I’m comfortable putting that on the head coach.

I remember similar threads before last season, and again during the season. Especially after we lost the season opener to the Steelers. 

Poor coaching was considered the main reason we lost to the Chiefs in the AFCCG. Many on here predicted against hope that McDermott would be the Bills’ downfall/Achilles heel/weakest link in 2021.

Now one year later those same people were proven 100% correct. In an almost unbelievable way, all their fellow fans can do is hurl insults.

The fans that have been skeptical of McDermott were right and are right even though they wish they weren’t. 

I hope I’m wrong but I’ll say the same thing I said last offseason. Having to overcome the type of in-game coaching mistakes McDermott is likely to make, makes it extremely unlikely to win the super bowl. We had a perfect quarterback in the playoffs and still couldn’t do it.

+700 to win it all is about 12.5% chance. We likely won’t ever have as good a chance as we did with those 13 seconds left and the guy in charge took that from us. 

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 3

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

I can give McDermott some credit for Allen. It seems you want to give him no blame for the Chiefs loss.

Without Josh Allen doing Josh Allen things last divisional round we lose two very similar blowouts to the same team two years running. I’m comfortable putting that on the head coach.

McDermott gets most of the credit for Allen. He'd one about as well as a coach can do to bring in and develop him. He and Beane brought him in and have maximized him. Plenty of other coach/GM tandems would have chosen the other Josh or someone else. Allen of course also gets a ton of credit for hard work and for just being good. But they brought Allen in, they 

And you can be comfortable blaming the loss on the head coach if you want. But it's nuts. Does he get a share of the blame, as everyone does? Yes. But again, the reason Allen wears a Buffalo on his helmet when he does amazing things because he was picked by this front office.

And the reason Allen was required to do Josh Allen things in that game is because Mahomes was on the other side doing Patrick Mahomes things. Any team later in the playoffs with a great QB is going to have that QB doing amazing things to be in games. And teams without great QBs tend to not make the playoffs or to go out early.

This is an excellent roster, and if you put Josh Allen on a team with a poor roster and a poor system he might easily not have become the Josh Allen he is today and he simply doesn't win anywhere near the number of games he's won.

Edited by Thurman#1

2 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

McDermott gets most of the credit for Allen. He and Beane brought him in and have maximized him. Plenty of other coach/GM tandems would have chosen the other Josh or someone else.

And you can be comfortable blaming it on the head coach if you want.

But it's nuts. Again, yeah, Allen did amazing things because he was picked by this front office. And the reason Allen was required to do Josh Allen things is because Mahomes was on the other side doing Patrick Mahomes things. Any team later in the playoffs with a great QB is going to have that QB doing amazing things to be in games. And teams without great QBs tend to not make the playoffs or to go out early.

This is an excellent roster, and if you put Josh Allen on a team with a poor roster and a poor system he might easily not have become the Josh Allen he is today and he simply doesn't win anywhere near the number of games he's won.

I'm sorry but this is such a bad take.

Sean McDermott is at any given point in time a top 10ish coach in the league. Some years higher, some years lower. Josh Allen is one of the most gifted QBs ever. Josh Allen is 10x better at QB than Sean McDermott is at head coaching.

No. Stop with this silliness.

There is a negative chance the Bills fire him unless there is some scandal that comes to light that nobody knows about currently.  With McDermott's squeaky clean and giant family guy reputation I highly doubt that occurs. 

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 1

59 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Conversely, McVay took Jared Goff to a Super Bowl and Shanahan did the same with Garoppolo. Zac Taylor just got a second year Burrow there. I think it’s fair to question McDermott if he fails to deliver this season.

This is where the randomness comes in.  If the obvious pass interference call against the Rams in the NFC Championship game is called correctly it's Pats vs. Saints in Super Bowl.  The Bengals lucked out with seeding getting the Raiders and the worst #1 seed maybe ever in the Titans before a Mahomes meltdown in the 2nd half in the AFC Championship game.  If Jimmy Garoppolo hits Emmanuel Sanders on that deep pass Reid wouldn't have his championship.  I'm sure there's a faction of 49ers fans who want Shanahan gone which from the outside looks crazy.  There's too much luck involved to fire a consistently winning coach based off playoff heart breakers.  The only exception is if a Marvin Lewis who couldn't win a playoff game to save his life.  The law of averages will eventually get a team that goes to the playoffs every year that usually wins their division a Super Bowl championship.  Until McDermott consistently proves he can't provide that only then do I think a new head coach is needed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

This is where the randomness comes in.  If the obvious pass interference call against the Rams in the NFC Championship game is called correctly it's Pats vs. Saints in Super Bowl.  The Bengals lucked out with seeding getting the Raiders and the worst #1 seed maybe ever in the Titans before a Mahomes meltdown in the 2nd half in the AFC Championship game.  If Jimmy Garoppolo hits Emmanuel Sanders on that deep pass Reid wouldn't have his championship.  I'm sure there's a faction of 49ers fans who want Shanahan gone which from the outside looks crazy.  There's too much luck involved to fire a consistently winning coach based off playoff heart breakers.  The only exception is if a Marvin Lewis who couldn't win a playoff game to save his life.  The law of averages will eventually get a team that goes to the playoffs every year that usually wins their division a Super Bowl championship.  Until McDermott consistently proves he can't provide that only then do I think a new head coach is needed.

There's some luck involved, but my point was that those guys have done more with less.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

McDermott has failed to deliver w prime Josh Allen two years running now. He’s unquestionably the biggest reason for the loss to the Chiefs. It’s a valid question. 

Brees, Rodgers, Ryan, Stafford, Rivers, Dak, etc have all been statistically among the highest producing QBs in the NFL.  Not one of them has even made it to the SB twice.  Some it took a while, some it was early, some not at all.

Its not easy getting to and winning a SB.  And last years failure is largely on the ST Coach who didn’t get McD’s pooch kick call to our kicker.  It’s also largely on the players, who Levi himself said they lost some focus after the high and excitement of the TD and the shock of the big quick gain by Hill.  

12 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

There's some luck involved, but my point was that those guys have done more with less.

McVay...definitely.  He's a top three coach for sure.  I'm more skeptical with Taylor who had a horrible first two seasons until last year which I still think was a fluky Super Bowl run.  

1 hour ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

+700 to win it all is about 12.5% chance. We likely won’t ever have as good a chance as we did with those 13 seconds left and the guy in charge took that from us. 

I see. You were there. On the sidelines? You heard McDermott make a mistake? You've got the whole story?

Nonsense.

The only first-hand data we have on this is from the interview with Levi Wallace. He says that the coaches made the right call and there was bad communication on the field, specifically that he didn't look back and see where Hyde was playing, that he thought Hyde was playing closer in and that they left a big gap.

And there's no reason whatsoever to think we won't have as good a chance as we did. It could easily happen.

Did we blow a good chance? Yeah, we did. Might easily get another chance that's just as good or better. But that doesn't mean it wasn't a damn shame to miss that chance.

57 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I'm sorry but this is such a bad take.

Sean McDermott is at any given point in time a top 10ish coach in the league. Some years higher, some years lower. Josh Allen is one of the most gifted QBs ever. Josh Allen is 10x better at QB than Sean McDermott is at head coaching.

Yeah, you're right. Your take here is really stunningly bad.

And again, who drafted Allen? Who was the guy who developed the system in which Allen was developed so very well? Who brought in Daboll and Dorsey?

Yup, McDermott.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Brees, Rodgers, Ryan, Stafford, Rivers, Dak, etc have all been statistically among the highest producing QBs in the NFL.  Not one of them has even made it to the SB twice.  Some it took a while, some it was early, some not at all.

Its not easy getting to and winning a SB.  And last years failure is largely on the ST Coach who didn’t get McD’s pooch kick call to our kicker.  It’s also largely on the players, who Levi himself said they lost some focus after the high and excitement of the TD and the shock of the big quick gain by Hill.  

The guy above wants to give McDermott most of the credit for Allen, so I'm going to give him most of the blame for not having the communication lines squared away in the most important game of his career.

I don't want him fired or anything. I'm just saying there's an argument to be made that he gets into big spots and gags them away.

2 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, you're right. Your take here is really stunningly bad.

And again, who drafted Allen? Who was the guy who developed the system in which Allen was developed so very well? Who brought in Daboll and Dorsey?

Yup, McDermott.

You said McDermott is mostly responsible for Allen. That's the bad take.

I'll repeat- Josh Allen is 10x better at QB than Sean McDermott is at head coaching. I'm not going to debate this.

34 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

The guy above wants to give McDermott most of the credit for Allen, so I'm going to give him most of the blame for not having the communication lines squared away in the most important game of his career.

I don't want him fired or anything. I'm just saying there's an argument to be made that he gets into big spots and gags them away.

You said McDermott is mostly responsible for Allen. That's the bad take.

I'll repeat- Josh Allen is 10x better at QB than Sean McDermott is at head coaching. I'm not going to debate this.

I suppose I could have better said something like "McDermott deserves an awful lot of the credit." That would have more precisely stated my point. Sorry I didn't say it well.

And of course you're not going to debate a dumb point like that one you made there. They're both among the absolute best at what they do. Allen is likely a bit better. But McDermott is absolutely terrific. Both are top five at what they do.

Edited by Thurman#1

5 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

McVay...definitely.  He's a top three coach for sure.  I'm more skeptical with Taylor who had a horrible first two seasons until last year which I still think was a fluky Super Bowl run.  

Agree. And that first run for McVay where he definitely did less with more in taking an average QB to the Superbowl, their roster was loaded. Highest paid OL at the time if I recall.

Talyor I also tend to agree, lightening in a bottle. Shanny is a fantastic Xs and Os coach - definitely top 3 - but he has his own game management meltdowns and the temprament has always been the question. The story is when seasons go sideways he sulks. And the record rather supports that theory.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Another gem from the Dolphins fan.  The only question is how many weeks before he starts threads saying... the Jets, Dolphins, and or Pats will win the division and push the Bills out of the playoffs.

This is the most ridiculous thread since the flurry of Jets trolls I think it was two years ago until the mods became sick and tired of their lunacy.

Im not dignifying the OP  with reasons McD will never get fired from the Bills.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.