Is there any circumstances you would move on from McDermott after 2022?

FilthyBeast

Under what circumstance whout you move on from McDermott after 2022  

357 members have voted

1. 1. Under what circumstance whout you move on from McDermott after 2022

• Nothing. He's my head coach and still want him here no matter what happens in 2022
    • Anything short of a SB appearance and/or championship
    • Losing season/miss playoffs and injuries are not a main factor in this
    • Losing to KC in the playoffs for a 3rd straight year

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

McD is our coach.  Period.  He is not on any kind of hot seat.  

However if we were to miss the playoffs while everyone was mostly healthy, then sure it could mean a HC change is possible.  

But let’s be real, the odds of that happening are almost impossible.  If we stay healthy this team could sleep walk it’s way to at least 10 wins with even losers like Juaron, Gase, Meyer, etc at the helm.  

So, basically I had to choose the nearly possible scenario of everyone being healthy and we still miss the playoffs.  But in reality where that is never gonna happen, the answer is basically A.  

If we fall short in the playoffs again, he could enter next year on a hotter seat, but he’s not on one now.  

I disagree. Yes, we’re the best team in the league and yes, our chances of making the playoffs are good.   The afc is deep and is a gauntlet.  I get that the confidence is high that we win the division.  I’m confident we’ll win the division in large part due to the QBs in our division.  Tua has now has a potential great play caller, a potentially great OL (after having a terrible OL), great playmakers and fast DBs.   The jets are going to look much different this year and Douglas gave wilson everything he needs to succeed.  If he progresses, watch out.  

One injury along the OL could cause a loss or two.  Two injuries to our OL could break our offense like it did last year.  

Who plays 1T if Jones goes down?  Injuries at DT last year crippled our run D.  

Daboll is gone and Dorsey has never called plays in his life.  We don’t know how that’s going to work.  

Josh’s go-to 3rd down WR for 3 years is gone.  

there are so many potential roadblocks that shouldn’t be overlooked.  Injuries are a huge part of the game and we WILL lose starters due to them.  Being without certain players vs certain teams could cost us a win or 2 or 3.  

• Like (+1) 3

43 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The odds of missing the playoffs are "almost impossible"?

This is the kind of offseason hyperbolic jibberish that makes May-August a difficult read here on TSW.

The Bills had a much easier schedule in 2021 and yet they were just 7-6 and on the outside of the playoff picture looking in due to a bad AFC record after 13 games.

They had lost to literally the worst team in the league........scoring only 6 points.

The AFC is much deeper this year.........Russell Wilson, Matt Ryan and possibly DeShaun Watson have been added to talented rosters........the Chargers loaded up in UFA.......the AFC champs totally revamped their terrible OL........the Dolphins finished last year winning 8 of 9 and improved their roster.........the Jets roster is now more talented than the Jaguars team that the seemingly stacked 2021 Bills lost to.........

There are a lot of ways to miss the playoffs in the AFC in 2022.    

Have you been under a rock?

It's not "almost impossible".       

How do people so quickly forget how the NFL actually works?

It’s hilarious. Listening to Alpha, you’d think the Bills were 17-0 last year.

14 minutes ago, mrags said:

I didn’t vote because my only determining factor is not listed. #3 could be considered but too broad. Of course it means us losing. But if we have more epic breakdowns when it means the most like Tennessee last year, or the .13 I’d be ok with him being replaced. I also would be fine with keeping him depending on the situation as well. But utter collapse and it being all on the decision making of McD and I’d be ok with moving on. We should have a Lombardi trophy right now but his decision making screwed that up. Just MO. 

I used to think mrags should stay but now I think mrags should go.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

*Is there any circumstances you would move on from McDermott after 2022?

*Are (the noun is plural)

Thank you for pointing out what this thread is worth. I am more likely to win the Power Ball than McD is to get fired.

And I don’t have a ticket. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Now that the dust has settled from the draft and we move closer to the 2022 season, was curious what the current pulse is on McDermott. Expectations are obviously sky high in Buffalo and it's truly SB or bust as far as a lot of fans and pundits see it.

On one hand the McDermott is still the best HC this franchise has seen since Levy and the 90's, but on the other the stench of playoff loss in KC still looms large and could be an issue in the locker room if this team gets off to a slow start in 2022. I would go as far to say his regular season record against playoff teams and never being able to win a road playoff game is a root cause for serious concern as well.

Adding a poll here but personally there are 2 scenarios I would pull the trigger on dumping McDermott after 2022:

1) We have a losing season/miss playoffs (with major injuries NOT being a factor in this).

2) We lose to KC in the playoffs for a 3rd straight season regardless of round or whether game is in Buffalo/KC.

Either of these happen and the Pegulas have to seriously ask themselves where they seem the direction of this team heading under McDermott knowing you are only going to get so many bites at the apple once Allen's contract kicks in similar to Mahomes in KC. Beane cannot show blind loyalty either IMO and look at himself and McDermott as a package deal moving forward.

I would rather get rid of the idiotic fans that masquerade as Bills fans on this site.

Go back to your forum.

🤦‍♂️

Sean is a very good coach. I hope he is evolving and will bring a championship to Buffalo fans. His strengths are preparing and motivating his players who hold him in high regard. He must learn from his losing, in game coaching decisions, that showed a fear of aggressively trying to impose his will on a game. He must remember, losing with this QB and  our trajectory, established over the last few years is a reflection on his coaching. This team is absolutely good enough to get to the SB.

So you think there is a scenario where our 49-32 (.605 win percentage), multiple playoff game winning, multiple division winning, extremely well respected coach is going to lose his job after this season?

It would take a massive scandal. That's the only possible way.

You might as well find another team to root for if you don't like Sean McDermott. He is going to be the coach for a very long time. You don't let coaches like him who have built a winning organization and culture go. There isn't a single person in the organization that deserves more recognition for what Buffalo has become than him.

And frankly, I find it hilarious and sad that there are Bills fans who don't like him. Grow up.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He needs a SB appearance pretty soon.  But he has achieved cult-like popularity in no small part due the awfulness that preceded him for decades.

so the answer he could choke out to KC (or whoever) every year and he wouldn’t get much of the hot seat here

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The odds of missing the playoffs are "almost impossible"?

This is the kind of offseason hyperbolic jibberish that makes May-August a difficult read here on TSW.

The Bills had a much easier schedule in 2021 and yet they were just 7-6 and on the outside of the playoff picture looking in due to a bad AFC record after 13 games.

They had lost to literally the worst team in the league........scoring only 6 points.

The AFC is much deeper this year.........Russell Wilson, Matt Ryan and possibly DeShaun Watson have been added to talented rosters........the Chargers loaded up in UFA.......the AFC champs totally revamped their terrible OL........the Dolphins finished last year winning 8 of 9 and improved their roster.........the Jets roster is now more talented than the Jaguars team that the seemingly stacked 2021 Bills lost to.........

There are a lot of ways to miss the playoffs in the AFC in 2022.    

Have you been under a rock?

It's not "almost impossible".       

How do people so quickly forget how the NFL actually works?

The NFL is very unforgiving and also why I thought this warranted a serious discussion relevant to McDermott. Like I've said in the past, I respect what he's done here but I'm not beholden to him and also not sold on him being a true wartime head coach that is going to consistently beat good NFL teams and HC/QB's. Because the fact of the matter is he hasn't especially on the road.

And this is a very good point about how this team somewhat underachieved last year against a much softer schedule on paper. This team was 3-5 last year between a 4-1 start and 4-0 finish which should raise red flags. They played a historically bad schedule in terms of opposing QB's which also inflated DVOA.

Does this mean the Bills were frauds last year? Not exactly, but their inconsistency showed up when it mattered in the playoffs and why they went home despite all this talk that in a parallel universe somewhere the Bills steamroll their way to a championship last year.

At the end of the day though I do expect this team to win a minimum of 11 games again unless something seriously goes wrong but McDermott has to prove he can consistently compete with the upper echelon QB's and coaches in this league especially when he's getting historic performances from his own players like JA17 and Davis did last year in KC.

• Disagree 2

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

Trading Josh Allen

That one should be in the moving on from Beane thread. 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Thank you for pointing out what this thread is worth. I am more likely to win the Power Ball than McD is to get fired.

And I don’t have a ticket. 

Do you think we are both just as likely to find the winning Power Ball ticket? 

Maybe I'll grab the flashlight and take a look around, increase my odds a bit.

33 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

So he just gets an automatic pass if the team continues to fail and/or choke in the playoffs with the SB victory?

He’s a great leader, good Monday through Saturday coach but leaves a lot to be desired on some Sundays and for the most part goes back to his conservative roots when the game gets tight… that being said at this point he’s a top 6-7 coach in the league, but letting him go will certainly be on the table if the Bills don’t win a SB within the next 3 years IMO.

I don’t think so. The pegulas saw what they did to the Sabres. 

McD will be the next Andy Reid or Marvin Lewis. He will get 10+ years, regardless of SB wins.

Not saying it’s right or wrong but that’s what it is.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.