Is there any circumstances you would move on from McDermott after 2022?

FilthyBeast

Under what circumstance whout you move on from McDermott after 2022  

357 members have voted

1. 1. Under what circumstance whout you move on from McDermott after 2022

• Nothing. He's my head coach and still want him here no matter what happens in 2022
    • Anything short of a SB appearance and/or championship
    • Losing season/miss playoffs and injuries are not a main factor in this
    • Losing to KC in the playoffs for a 3rd straight year

Now that the dust has settled from the draft and we move closer to the 2022 season, was curious what the current pulse is on McDermott. Expectations are obviously sky high in Buffalo and it's truly SB or bust as far as a lot of fans and pundits see it.

On one hand the McDermott is still the best HC this franchise has seen since Levy and the 90's, but on the other the stench of playoff loss in KC still looms large and could be an issue in the locker room if this team gets off to a slow start in 2022. I would go as far to say his regular season record against playoff teams and never being able to win a road playoff game is a root cause for serious concern as well.

Adding a poll here but personally there are 2 scenarios I would pull the trigger on dumping McDermott after 2022:

1) We have a losing season/miss playoffs (with major injuries NOT being a factor in this).

2) We lose to KC in the playoffs for a 3rd straight season regardless of round or whether game is in Buffalo/KC.

Either of these happen and the Pegulas have to seriously ask themselves where they seem the direction of this team heading under McDermott knowing you are only going to get so many bites at the apple once Allen's contract kicks in similar to Mahomes in KC. Beane cannot show blind loyalty either IMO and look at himself and McDermott as a package deal moving forward.

• Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 11
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 6
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Dislike 12

My breaking point would be if he nearly single handedly is the reason we lose in the playoffs again. Last season is still painful. He didn’t do a single thing right in those 13 seconds. From the botched kickoff, to calling two timeouts and not making the right defensive calls. I am ok with him unless he has a complete meltdown again. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 7

I think if we lose to KC similar to the way we did last time then it's definitely a conversation, but I think he's built a winning culture and I think he will be given the benefit of the doubt and if anything they might be replacing Leslie and other other coordinators before they get rid of McD

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, whorlnut said:

My breaking point would be if he nearly single handedly is the reason we lose in the playoffs again. Last season is still painful. He didn’t do a single thing right in those 13 seconds. From the botched kickoff, to calling two timeouts and not making the right defensive calls. I am ok with him unless he has a complete meltdown again. 

The cupboard is now fully stocked (DB only real question mark still) and there are no more excuses for him.

And the best path for this team in terms of a SB appearance is to play consistent football from start to finish to ensure the road to the SB goes through Buffalo. And to McD's credit he's been great at home in the playoffs the last few years and has never lost a home playoff game.

But deep down I still think very poor in game decisions and situation football awareness is something that can be exploited again not just in the playoffs, but against a very tough schedule this year.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 4

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

#2 is stupid. 

edit:  but considering the OP, not surprised in the least.  The angle had to exist or the thread wouldn’t have been created

Are you talking about losing to KC in the playoffs again or SB or bust option on the poll?

Like I said just curious what folks think.

As down as I've been on McD at time realistically the only scenario the Pegulas would consider firing him is missing  the playoffs this year if we are fairly healthy and coaching proves to be a major issue against a very tough schedule.

1 minute ago, FilthyBeast said:

But deep down I still think very poor in game decisions and situation football awareness is something that can be exploited again not just in the playoffs, but against a very tough schedule this year.

I think he's gotten better and better at the situational awareness and in game decisions from season to season, and probably the best we've had in that regard in my lifetime.  Yes, something was horribly screwed up with 13 seconds and he's ultimately responsible for that mess, but I'm not inclined to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Are you talking about losing to KC in the playoffs again or SB or bust option on the poll?

Like I said just curious what folks think.

As down as I've been on McD at time realistically the only scenario the Pegulas would consider firing him is missing  the playoffs this year if we are fairly healthy and coaching proves to be a major issue against a very tough schedule.

#2 on your post.  

McD is our coach.  Period.  He is not on any kind of hot seat.  

However if we were to miss the playoffs while everyone was mostly healthy, then sure it could mean a HC change is possible.  

But let’s be real, the odds of that happening are almost impossible.  If we stay healthy this team could sleep walk it’s way to at least 10 wins with even losers like Juaron, Gase, Meyer, etc at the helm.  

So, basically I had to choose the nearly possible scenario of everyone being healthy and we still miss the playoffs.  But in reality where that is never gonna happen, the answer is basically A.  

If we fall short in the playoffs again, he could enter next year on a hotter seat, but he’s not on one now.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

23 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Nothing short of a full on player revolt or him getting caught doing some despicable act or committing some serious crime.

This is pretty much what I was thinking.  Him really butting heads with Allen or other players who just want him gone or some type of horrible thing he's done would be the only real circumstances where I'd want him gone.  But I'm thinking even Belichick, Tomlin, Harbaugh wouldn't be safe in such extreme circumstances.

• Like (+1) 1

I think this year would take a losing season to consider letting him go.

But I do see a Tony Dungy/Bucs like situation, that if the Bills do not get over the proverbial hump by next year, that we could see changes happening. 

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.