Which Bills have the most to prove in 2022?

Posted (edited)

IMO the answer if we’re talking the entire Bills organization it’s Sean McDermott… but if we were to focus on the players on the team, who have the most to prove in 2022?

Josh Allen - We know he’s elite…can he prove that he’s a GOAT by winning the big one?  2022 might be his best opportunity.

Von Miller - HOF career but is he going to earn the massive contract by improving the pass rush, elevate those around him, and playing well down the stretch?

Tremaine Edmunds - If he finally puts it all together this season he’ll be looking at a giant contract from the Bills or someone else.  If he has a year like last season, despite the Bills improving the DL, does Buffalo make him one of the highest paid LB’s?

Cody Ford - Aaron Kromer is his last hope.  2022 could determine is he gets a decent 2nd contract or if he’s just one of those lineman who bounces from team to team.

Zach Moss - could be looking at the RB3 roles this season.  He needs to show something this season.

AJ Epinesa - The Bills signed Shaq to push and compete with Epinesa.  Like Moss he could drop a bit on the depth chart if he doesn’t flash more often.  

Other suggestion?

Edited by JohnNord
  • Like (+1) 1

• JohnNord changed the title to Which Bills have the most to prove in 2022?
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Zach Moss - could be looking at the RB3 roles this season.  He needs to show something this season.

His ceiling is defeating Duke Johnson in the Offseason and winning the RB3 job. His floor is losing and being released after Training Camp. But unfortunately for him, McDermott doesn't dress 3 RB's.

So even if he shows out this offseason, he'll still be this years TJ Yeldon or Matt Breida - a healthy scratch on Sunday's unless there's an injury or someone is seriously underperforming (much like Breida got some action last season when Moss was underperforming).

Long story short, I don't see him even getting the opportunity to "show something this season", unless something unexpected happens. 

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

Posted (edited)

Edmunds will be elsewhere in 2023 no matter what he does this year IMO. If it's more of the same, Beane lets him walk. If he really improves, he prices himself out of range for Beane to seriously consider bringing him back. If he's somehwere in between, another team will offer him more than we could based on his pro bowl resume.

Same thing with Ford. If he somehow gets thrust into a starting role & plays well, somebody else would pay him low-end starter money.

Edited by 947
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Edmunds. He is in a contract year coming off a year where he had very few impact plays. People will argue he does what the team asks of him.  Only the coaching staff really knows that. I’ve been rewatching many of last year’s games and Edmunds was just brutal to watch. He is an absolute liability in the run defense. He can not blitz from the middle linebacker spot at all. And despite his length and speed he does not cover his zone that well. Of course we don’t see the throws that aren’t made to his zone. He was better in man coverage the few times he is asked to do that.

If he plays well he will demand a top two or three salary.  It will be very interesting to see how this all plays out.

4 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

His ceiling is defeating Duke Johnson in the Offseason and winning the RB3 job. His floor is losing and being released after Training Camp. But unfortunately for him, McDermott doesn't dress 3 RB's.

So even if he shows out this offseason, he'll still be this years TJ Yeldon or Matt Breida - a healthy scratch on Sunday's unless there's an injury or someone is seriously underperforming (much like Breida got some action last season when Moss was underperforming).

Long story short, I don't see him even getting the opportunity to "show something this season", unless something unexpected happens. 

I just watched the KC regular season game and Moss played quite well. Maybe he was more injured than we know. Agree he may be fighting for a roster spot.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

John, McD and Allen?  Really.  You basically made this post irrelevant and you already know I like you and you’re posts.

The others spot on bud.  Saying a repeated MVP candidate as a QB, and Coach of the Hear candidate from the experts for three years really diminishes credibility.

im not going to go through accomplishments as it’s obvious.  I expect better from a friend and a really smart TBD Guy.  You know damn well both are at the top.

• Agree 1

Good list minus Miller.  He doesn’t have to prove anything.  Sure, as Bills fans, it would be nice for him to dominate…..I just don’t think he has anything to prove.  

The other guys all have something to prove.

I’d add Spencer brown to the list.  He showed enough promise last season to be our RT in 2022, but he has to show improvement to keep the job next year….or even this year.   If he plays like he did last season (which I doubt he does), quessenberry might take his job.  That would be an epic fail for this team, but I think he pans out.

Gabe Davis-  he has to show that that he’s worthy of being our #2 opposite Diggs for an entire season.  Sure looks like he’s up to the task, but he wasn’t great all last season and needs to show his body can hold up over the course of the year.  He’s had ankle/foot problem. Staying healthy all year would be great for his long term projection.    

Dawson Knox-  he’s about to get paid.  2021 was a coming out party.  2022 needs to reinforce that 21 was the truth.  His drop % went from 20 to 9.1 to 5.6.  Keep it under 10% and I think we make him our long term TE and could put himself into HoF consideration being Josh Allens TE for possibly 10+ years.  

• Like (+1) 6

17 minutes ago, 947 said:

Edmunds will be elsewhere in 2023 no matter what he does this year IMO. If it's more of the same, Beane lets him walk. If he really improves, he prices himself out of range for Beane to seriously consider bringing him back. If he's somehwere in between, another team will offer him more than we could based on his pro bowl resume.

Same thing with Ford. If he somehow gets thrust into a starting role & plays well, somebody else would pay him low-end starter money.

You might be right.  I do think the Bills like him and want to keep him, but that they have a hard ceiling with what they will spend.  I don’t think think will tie that much money into both linebackers.  I guess if they really want him they could release Milano and replace him with Bernard.  

• Like (+1) 1

I dont expect anything from Ford, I mean if he finds his footing great but I am not expecting it.

Agree with most of the others....for me, what I want to see out of Josh Allen is not needing to run as much.  I just think it is inevitable he will get injured playing that way.  Run around in the pocket, scramble yes.  But putting the shoulder down, lots of called runs, not so much.  If he has less than 400 yards rushing while playing all 17 games and being effective, I think that is a huge win.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

IMO the answer if we’re talking the entire Bills organization it’s Sean McDermott… but if we were to focus on the players on the team, who have the most to prove in 2022?

Josh Allen - We know he’s elite…can he prove that he’s a GOAT by winning the big one?  2022 might be his best opportunity.

Von Miller - HOF career but is he going to earn the massive contract by improving the pass rush, elevate those around him, and playing well down the stretch?

Tremaine Edmunds - If he finally puts it all together this season he’ll be looking at a giant contract from the Bills or someone else.  If he has a year like last season, despite the Bills improving the DL, does Buffalo make him one of the highest paid LB’s?

Cody Ford - Aaron Kromer is his last hope.  2022 could determine is he gets a decent 2nd contract or if he’s just one of those lineman who bounces from team to team.

AJ Epinesa - The Bills signed Shaq to push and compete with Epinesa.  Like Moss he could drop a bit on the depth chart if he doesn’t flash more often.  

Other suggestion?

#1 Gabe Davis - Gotta' prove he can be a 1,000+ yard receiver because he is flying solo at WR2 now........no longer splitting some snaps with John Brown or Emmanuel Sanders at a position that's been good for 1,100+ each of the last 2 seasons.

#2 Tremaine Edmunds - They can get by with him being a middle of the league MLB/ILB this year..........but he's being paid like a STUD at the position now and the light coming on for him would be very timely and potentially huge for them.    I'm far from expecting it but if he started playing instinctively for a change the defense could be epic.

#3 AJ Epenesa - He's not as important to their success as the first two.........but this is probably his last chance if he puts up another season like the past 2.    He developed slower than expected at Iowa........he came in as an incredibly rare 5 star recruit for them and didn't even earn the starting job at DE until his junior year..........so he's a natural candidate for the "light to come on".  

I'm not even sure I would put Cody Ford on such a list..........he's a bust to this point.   If he proves something, great.   But right now he's a non-factor.

Allen and Miller got nothing to prove. 

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

John, McD and Allen?  Really.  You basically made this post irrelevant and you already know I like you and you’re posts.

The others spot on bud.  Saying a repeated MVP candidate as a QB, and Coach of the Hear candidate from the experts for three years really diminishes credibility.

im not going to go through accomplishments as it’s obvious.  I expect better from a friend and a really smart TBD Guy.  You know damn well both are at the top.

McD failed us last year.  The guy literally lost us a chance at the Lombardi.  Sure, I think he’s one of the reasons that we are SB contenders…..but he has to show he can win the big game.  He’s won a few, but 13 seconds put a bullseye on his back.  We’re the favorites, if we don’t win the SB, the season will likely be viewed a failure.  If we fail to reach the SB or the AFCCG, I think the 2023 results could determine his future with the squad.  

17s don’t come around often.  After the 2023 season he’d have coached Allen for 4 years of ELITE QB play.  If we don’t reach a SB, heads could roll, regardless of how good he is as a HC.  I think he a top 7 coach, maybe higher, but show me the baby McD.  You’ve got 2 years.  Lead us to Valhalla!

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

Posted (edited)

Ford is dust, I don't hold out any hope.  Too bad.  But watch the Jags game again, they picked on him mercilessly.  

Edmunds is ok and will likely remain pretty good.   Not sure about that second contract.  

Dorsey has a lot to handle, and I worry that with Brady and Shula there will be many voices piping in with their thoughts.  I hope he can focus, plan and execute.

Brown has to take a step forward.  

Davis- Great player but it is my opinion that one more alpha receiver would be a fantastic idea.  

AJ - not as bad as everyone seems to feel he is.  Would be great to see an impact play now and then.  28-35% of snaps probably.  

Edited by CNYfan
spelling
  • Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I would not be shocked if he is given a LOT off opportunity to show himself in the preseason. If he shows well, he may bring one of those late round draft picks Beane likes to use as chips to move around in the draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

McDermott. This is a Super Bowl caliber roster. 

Bingo.

Show me the mother ***** baby.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, 947 said:

Ford could be back, Saffold being a 1 year deal, if Ford finally learns to play football, he could find a spot here next year.. not saying I think he will, but he could.

18 minutes ago, Augie said:

I would not be shocked if he is given a LOT off opportunity to show himself in the preseason. If he shows well, he may bring one of those late round draft picks Beane likes to use as chips to move around in the draft. 

Oh, I'm sure he's going to get a ton of work in the Pre-Season. But I was referring to the regular season. Good point on the possibility of being traded before the start of the season. That makes a lot of sense as Duke Johnson fits perfectly in line with Matt Breida and TJ Yeldon before him in that "break glass only in case of emergency" RB3 role.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.