OT Deshaun getting ready for a sit down with NFL

On 5/16/2022 at 3:14 PM, BillsShredder83 said:

Im pretty sure the legal side of this is strictly civil at this point, unless a new accuser comes forward

Unless he is found lying under oath in civil charges for which criminal charges can be brought.

On 5/17/2022 at 8:00 AM, CircleTheWagons99 said:

I guess kneeling is more of a crime to the NFL then raping people.

Kneeling is fine as long as you are kneeling to football god (money).

On 5/17/2022 at 8:00 AM, CircleTheWagons99 said:

I guess kneeling is more of a crime to the NFL then raping people.

Not defending Watson here but when was he charged with rape ?

He asked girls for extras during a massage which I'm sure they get often in their profession. That makes him a horn dog not a rapist.

He also moved around trying to get his junk touched by the girls, which makes him a scumbag, which will end up costing him millions and destroy whatever reputation he has left. But he's rich, famous and a football player, they don't live by the same laws as the rest of us.

Edited by frostbitmic
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, frostbitmic said:

Not defending Watson here but when was he charged with rape ?

He asked girls for extras during a massage which I'm sure they get often in their profession. That makes him a horn dog not a rapist.

He also moved around trying to get his junk touched by the girls, which makes him a scumbag, which will end up costing him millions and destroy whatever reputation he has left. But he's rich, famous and a football player, they don't live by the same laws as the rest of us.

He wasn’t actually “charged” with anything but he was accused of rape, as it is defined in Texas. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

On 5/16/2022 at 8:53 AM, GunnerBill said:

Yea its $10m cap hit but only $1m base salary. Its by far the smallest hit on the deal. Done that way almost certainly for suspension reasons. 

Yet another reason why it’s so unseemly.  The sheer arrogance of structuring a deal in anticipation of a suspension for abusing women…it’s repulsive.

• Agree 2

On 5/17/2022 at 10:40 AM, BillsShredder83 said:

Bauer is bigger to baseball than Watson is to nfl too, I think

I don't think a single player in any other sport is more pivotal than an elite NFL QB. 

Trevor Bauer, in particular, was a decent top of the rotation SP when healthy, but had a somewhat uneven career prior to his current disruptions. So I disagree with your claim on several levels.

He did a youtube video a few years back that taught me how to throw a knuckle curve, for what it's worth. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

I don't think a single player in any other sport is more pivotal than an elite NFL QB. 

Trevor Bauer, in particular, was a decent top of the rotation SP when healthy, but had a somewhat uneven career prior to his current disruptions. So I disagree with your claim on several levels.

He did a youtube video a few years back that taught me how to throw a knuckle curve, for what it's worth. 

Def wont argue against this. I like watching WS, and a few random games a year. Basically if a pitcher is a name i know, i assume theyre pretty huge. Especially in a market like LA, but shows ya what I know lol hows your kn-urve ball now 😆

1 hour ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Def wont argue against this. I like watching WS, and a few random games a year. Basically if a pitcher is a name i know, i assume theyre pretty huge. Especially in a market like LA, but shows ya what I know lol hows your kn-urve ball now 😆

I will likely NEVER get to test it out, unfortunately. It exists almost exclusively in my imagination, although I practice the motion and release on almost any handsize spherical object I encounter.

• Haha (+1) 1

If the NFL only gives him 1 year suspension it will not go over well. Not only would the massage rapist be laughing at them but Cleveland would also b.c they set his contract up thinking it will only be 1 year. 

He better get 2 years... HC Payton got a year for the stupid bounty gate. This should be 2 minimum. 

Edited by TBBills

48 minutes ago, TBBills said:

If the NFL only gives him 1 year suspension it will not go over well. Not only would the massage rapist be laughing at them but Cleveland would also b.c they set his contract up thinking it will only be 1 year. 

He better get 2 years... HC Payton got a year for the stupid bounty gate. This should be 2 minimum. 

There is a conceptual distinction between the Payton example - an on field offence, and the Watson example which is a breach of the personal conduct policy. It is pretty unprecedented so I'm not sure looking back at prior cases is much use. What is clear is the Commissioner has a very broad range of discretion with regards to punishment for personal conduct offences and he retains that even in this revised structure with a named disciplinary officer. Only if the disciplinary officer recommends no punishment (which isn't going to happen in this case) are the Commissioner's hands tied. There is still no appeal route beyond the Commissioner, so any further legal challenge could only arise where the question becomes whether the commissioner has acted ultra-vires. I think a long ban is very much on the table. I'm not sure he will get 2 years personally, but I think an entire season with absolutely no contact with the team, the facility or his teammates is very much in play. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

On 5/16/2022 at 2:53 PM, GunnerBill said:

Yea its $10m cap hit but only $1m base salary. Its by far the smallest hit on the deal. Done that way almost certainly for suspension reasons. 

They've actually done that with all of the big contracts (Garrett, Chubb, Ward) recently,  not just Watson. 

8 hours ago, eball said:

Yet another reason why it’s so unseemly.  The sheer arrogance of structuring a deal in anticipation of a suspension for abusing women…it’s repulsive.

To be fair,  they've done the exact same with Ward, Chubb, Garrett,  etc. as well.

Edited by cle23
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, cle23 said:

They've actually done that with all of the big contest (Garrett, Chubb, Ward) recently,  not just Watson. 

Yea when you are taking people off a rookie deal onto their 2nd contract it is generally the way to go so you still get the benefit of the 4th (or 5th) "cheap" year that the rookie deal gives you before the numbers rocket. The Watson situation is a little different, but it is a fair point that generally Cleveland does backload contracts in any event. 

• Like (+1) 1

In reality how can they pass judgement when there is only accusations isn't the way it works here is Innocent until proven guilty only then for a judgement to be passed ? This is still America last i looked .

I know the NFL marches to it's own drum and if they have done a complete investigation & have enough proof as to what happened then they can more than likely do what they feel the right thing but it seems as a little unusual that 22 + people have the same story for it to be all of them lying about the same thing .

I think Watson should have at least 1 year suspension with no pay if in fact the allegations show to be true !

It sounds from what little i have read on it that he would try subtle things to invoke actions that were on the cusp of not being right to where he could go "Oh excuse me i'm sorry" and feel he was okay after he would touch a masseuse with his private part which is BS on his part .

My thing is why would the Browns give him all the cash if there is no verdict yet that's jumping the gun a bit but that's the Browns . I hope they make a example of him !

3 hours ago, T master said:

In reality how can they pass judgement when there is only accusations isn't the way it works here is Innocent until proven guilty only then for a judgement to be passed ? This is still America last i looked .

I know the NFL marches to it's own drum and if they have done a complete investigation & have enough proof as to what happened then they can more than likely do what they feel the right thing but it seems as a little unusual that 22 + people have the same story for it to be all of them lying about the same thing .

I think Watson should have at least 1 year suspension with no pay if in fact the allegations show to be true !

It sounds from what little i have read on it that he would try subtle things to invoke actions that were on the cusp of not being right to where he could go "Oh excuse me i'm sorry" and feel he was okay after he would touch a masseuse with his private part which is BS on his part .

My thing is why would the Browns give him all the cash if there is no verdict yet that's jumping the gun a bit but that's the Browns . I hope they make a example of him !

Not speaking on the Watson case at all as I dont follow it too closely but not sure where you have been but social media has turned America into a country in which the court of public opinion can assign punitive damages to you based on their gut feeling on a situation. They are allowed to harass you, your employer, your family, all based on their personal view of your wrong doing and whatever facts/opinions/views they find might align with their perspective.

This is apart from the actual justice system that assigns punitive damages based on a trial by judge/jury of your peers.

There actually needs to be something that protects people while the justice system works because people are impatient and want immediate retribution. I am not at all saying Watson isnt getting a fair shake especially with that crazy cleveland deal but there are many people that aren't given the chance to defend themselves because the social media mob has already passed down their decision and see fit to destroy your life in retribution.

Edited by What a Tuel

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.