(Rumor) Drew Brees hinting at a comeback

1 hour ago, dreadlox said:

I agree about the ballooning contract comment and decided to look up Jim Kelly’s and Dan Marino’s career earnings. Kelly made $27M in his career. Marino made $51M. Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, and Kirk Cousins are all averaging more $ per season now than Kelly made in his entire career. That has to be a factor for these older guys. Thought that was interesting.

Are you saying Ralph is cheap? 🤔

19 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

More power to him. All the comments about 'knowing when to shut it down' are coming from normal rational people.

You don't get to the NFL, and you don't get to Brees level by being normal or rational. These guys are mental machines, they don't know how to turn it off even if they desperately wanted too.

Reminds me of Buffet. Why in the heck does this dude get up at 3am start reading stock articles in newspapers, and all the crap he does. -You're 180 years old, stop, relax-.

These guys don't have that switch me and you do. Clinical definition of workaholic!

Hell I'd like to see Brees come back with a year of rest (and hgh to rejuvenate everything). I'd bet he can come in and play well still. But thats just me and MHO

I get it... My Dad former Navy EOD Frogman SUNY English prof is 88 still walks 2 miles a day, on the board of directors for the community college in northern San Diego cty and plays Trombone gigs... We call him the great white shark. The day he stops moving is the day he passes.

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Whites Bay said:

I was just saying this in another thread.  Most of us watch these guys blabbering into the microphone and think "I could do that".  Not as easy as it looks if you're trying to stay interesting.  Because he wasn't.

I like your name. 

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

Brees is toast and embarrassed himself playing a year or two longer than he should have just like Big Ben.

His rate of degradation is nothing like as bad as it was with Big Ben.  Ben should have been gone at least a full season earlier than  he left...

I think it is arguable that Brees can still play, though not at his peak career level.  He's well beyond that now.

9 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

His rate of degradation is nothing like as bad as it was with Big Ben.  Ben should have been gone at least a full season earlier than  he left...

I think it is arguable that Brees can still play, though not at his peak career level.  He's well beyond that now.

Agree, but when your arm goes it goes badly and Brady is also on the brink of embarrassing himself which is why I thought he probably was done after and surprised he unretired so quickly.

Won't be surprised if Brady looks a lot like 2020 Brees this year.

15 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Well Dan and Jim knew when to walk away. And they never bothered coming back after they retired 

Except Tom Brady wouldn’t be able to wear # 12 in Miami

Actually the Brees situation here reminds me a bit like what happened with Kelly. It sounds like NBC has not been impressed with Brees in the studio and don't want him back. Jim also struggled as a broadcaster, and after one year in retirement he started talking about wanting to come back and play for the Baltimore Ravens (which never materialized).

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

I get it... My Dad former Navy EOD Frogman SUNY English prof is 88 still walks 2 miles a day, on the board of directors for the community college in northern San Diego cty and plays Trombone gigs... We call the great white shark. The day he stops moving is the day he passes.

Those guys were no joke! My great grampa was a Frogman and always had the coolest stories. Was simultaneously one of the sweetest guys I ever knew, while being a strong batch of vinegar at the same time haha

I remember him tearing my dad a new one (in his 80s) after my dad brought him a fresh beer, something about- if you think I can't walk to the cooler to get my own, you'll be the one asking for help getting to the cooler 😆

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Don't call it a comeback

He's been here for years....

dance pa dance.

Just for Weo Man.

Oh and a great pre workout song while driving to gym at an ungodly hour in the morning to wake up.

Hopefully Milano or Poyer

listens to this song before the SB against Brady this year.  

Mama said knock you out!

Edited by machine gun kelly

18 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Reminds me of Buffet. Why in the heck does this dude get up at 3am start reading stock articles in newspapers, and all the crap he does. -You're 180 years old, stop, relax-.

Jimmy Buffet does that?  He is only 75.  Maybe he is trying to keep his mind sharp. 

Amazing he has time to do that when practicing for upcoming concerts.

18 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Well Dan and Jim knew when to walk away. And they never bothered coming back after they retired 

Jimbo considered coming back and playing for Baltimore but after exploration turned it down.

And I think it is a lot easier for QBs to come out of retirement now with less hitting of QB, less checking of supplements (and having a good agent who warns you about tests) and lots more money where backups are making more than some starters a few years earlier.

No word on Ryan Fitzpatrick?

• Agree 1

We will never know about the things going on behind the scenes.  I'm sure the Saints won't want him or want to pay him for another season but there may be some desperate teams (Carolina, etc.) who might be.  If his agent sniffs one last payday, something could happen.  If we've learned anything over the last few years, it's not to be surprised by pro athletes and their retirement antics.

• Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.