(Rumor) Drew Brees hinting at a comeback

2 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Just needed a year of TB12 and he's all set.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Just retire. These guys are exhausting. Not the same level but Andrew whitworth said today he isn’t closing the door on a comeback. I know it’s a hard decision but they made it for a reason and they need to understand when it’s time. 

screw that, never say die, and keep fighting as long as you can.

2 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

More power to him. All the comments about 'knowing when to shut it down' are coming from normal rational people.

You don't get to the NFL, and you don't get to Brees level by being normal or rational. These guys are mental machines, they don't know how to turn it off even if they desperately wanted too.

Reminds me of Buffet. Why in the heck does this dude get up at 3am start reading stock articles in newspapers, and all the crap he does. -You're 180 years old, stop, relax-.

These guys don't have that switch me and you do. Clinical definition of workaholic!

Hell I'd like to see Brees come back with a year of rest (and hgh to rejuvenate everything). I'd bet he can come in and play well still. But thats just me and MHO

HELL YEAH !!!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Just retire. These guys are exhausting. Not the same level but Andrew whitworth said today he isn’t closing the door on a comeback. I know it’s a hard decision but they made it for a reason and they need to understand when it’s time. 

But it's their decision. You have to respect it.

4 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I think the saints still own the rights to him. So if he was actually going to come back I’m sure it would have to be for the saints only or he stays retired.

3 hours ago, Captain Caveman said:

Can they fit him in under the cap?  Maybe he's counting on them having to release him, I know they've been in cap hell for a while.

The Saints could release Brees or trade him as the Cheatriots did with Gronkowski. Considering what he did for the Saints I highly doubt they would obstruct him if he wished to return to the NFL.

On 5/15/2022 at 9:28 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Think of walking away from what you love , what is your life’s passion and has been the sole driving force for most of your life since childhood perhaps.  Then throw in a lifestyle very few ever get to experience as you are treated like royalty by fans. , and all the travel and things you get to do for free and all while getting special treatment.  Finally throw in the millions of dollars you get accustomed to earning and all the other earning opportunities thrown in along the way that all helps set up your family for generations.  How do you give that up if you are still healthy enough to play , knowing many guys still are not even as good as you are at even 85% of what you might have been in your twenties ? Plus these guys are not old , and their bodies are not broken like players from the earlier decades. 

They get a short break from being sore or in pain ( pain is a great equalizer , you may be a tough person but pain  can reach levels that when it’s there daily it clouds thinking and it’s hard to imagine being able to just move normally and it just wears you down. Take that away and you are back to being you , back to seeing hope!  You get back to experiencing the joy of looking ahead to each day again!) and now they remember how high the highs are competing at the best , most popular sport in the world !   Do I want to quit that to face uncertainty, going to a regular mundane career , or career just talking about how great that sport is that I know I could still do?  

Look at your own life ; if you were lucky enough to live your dream , do your career with joy at a high level , would you give it up in your late 30’s , knowing once you quit it will never be available to you again?  It’s different if it’s taken from you because of injury , disability, or illness.  Then you have no choice and it’s a different mindset. But walk away by choice after a lifetime of hoping and dreaming and then succeeding and if you still say that would be easy , I wouldn’t believe you.  I would think you were naive because you had never experienced giving all that up in real life, by choice, just walking away!  I would  want to talk to you a year later and see how you felt then. Remember , no injury , no illness , you just walk away from your passion, not some job you settled for but one you spent your life fighting to be in and loved and it  paid Better than almost any other profession ( plus no pressure like being a pilot, a surgeon, in the military or police where others lives or your own were at risk daily etc,,,,,playing a sport for entertainment) and just knowing human nature concerning driven , successful people, I would bet you would be second guessing your decision.  That’s all these guys are doing and why would you be  critical of them because it ‘“ exhausts “ you !?  Haha! If that exhausts you, you are too caught up in others lives and still have some growing to do ,,,,as we all do !  😉😊

Edited by DrPJax
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

He's a piece of wood on the broadcast. He's terrible. Too much of an aspiring politician to say anything interesting, ever. 

TV is a bad fit for him. 

I was just saying this in another thread.  Most of us watch these guys blabbering into the microphone and think "I could do that".  Not as easy as it looks if you're trying to stay interesting.  Because he wasn't.

9 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Reminds me of Buffet. Why in the heck does this dude get up at 3am start reading stock articles in newspapers, and all the crap he does. -You're 180 years old, stop, relax-.

image.thumb.jpeg.7f1a8d477a80fb1c04a5b1bc53462b45.jpeg
Well, 'Margaritavilles' ain't packing in middle aged tourists like they used to. 🤨

• Haha (+1) 3

Did he buy a new throwing arm??

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

These balloning contracts must have vets thinking they are missing out.  He must think he could probably get $20-25m for a year from a needy team who can't afford a top QB in their cap.

11 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Well Dan and Jim knew when to walk away. And they never bothered coming back after they retired 

I agree about the ballooning contract comment and decided to look up Jim Kelly’s and Dan Marino’s career earnings. Kelly made $27M in his career. Marino made $51M. Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, and Kirk Cousins are all averaging more $ per season now than Kelly made in his entire career. That has to be a factor for these older guys. Thought that was interesting.

If he wants back in the game I would suggest starting off as QB coach. He probably could work his way up to OC. If he is really good at coaching then he could probably get a HC opportunity. He is a smart guy and knows football. But his days as a player are over. His last year he looked shot.

He was bad on TV. He got fired. Now he's trying to save face by spinning a story about maybe un-retiring. But it aint happening.

12 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Well Dan and Jim knew when to walk away. And they never bothered coming back after they retired 

Except Tom Brady wouldn’t be able to wear # 12 in Miami

12 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Different Era. Different treatments for injury. Better understanding of nutrition (and chemistry). Today's game for a quarterback has tipped: cerebral skill > athletic skill.

These dudes can hang on a little longer in a less physical game, and get by with a better understanding of the game than others, who are more athletic.

[Again IMO, anyone feel free to disagree]

Also, and probably the biggest factor: QB salaries are now in the $40-50M/yr range. That is TWICE what Brees was making just a couple years ago.

Pretty sure that if the opportunity to make $45M was there, Dan, Jim, and everyone else would've been holding on as long as they could.

That all said. Brees isnt coming back. He's just embarrassed about getting canned.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.