Titans OT Taylor Lewan says players pay PFF for higher grades

Einstein

12 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Sure there is. Unless they are handing them 50k in cash.   Even still,  PFF would likely keep some sort of "of the books" records on who paid to inflate their rating. 

That's possibly ~1700 players only counting the 53 man roster. 

Even a tenth of that would be hard to believe they just take the money and just tick their number up a few points. 

They would likely expect a payment the following season and need to keep track. 

It's probably limited to positions that don't rely on stats to verify the grades.

Like field goal holder.

1 hour ago, unbillievable said:

It's probably limited to positions that don't rely on stats to verify the grades.

Like field goal holder.

Well that's normally the punter unless your are expecting someone else to take that role.  The Araiza paradox.

12 hours ago, Einstein said:

“[PFF] is a complete liability, it’s a lie,” says Lewan in the video. “Do you know there’s NFL football players who go and pay $50,000 a year to PFF so their numbers are inflated?”

https://atozsports.com/nashville/taylor-lewan-makes-statement-that-completely-discredits-pro-football-focus/

That explains a lot.

12 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Sorry Taylor, but if you're not pleased with your pff score, it's probably because you gave up 5 sacks week one vs Chandler Jones.

he only paid 40,000$

12 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Talk about going out of your way to find something to feel contempt about.

Doubt he went out his way 

11 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I've never liked PFF, but I'd be amazed if this were true.  Maybe someone at PFF took a bribe on one or more occasions, but I doubt that PFF makes a practice of inflating scores in exchange for payments.   Collinsworth is too smart risk his franchise, which seems to be pretty well established, to collect a few hundred thousand extra dollars.  And even if there have been bribes, it doesn't make sense that the bribes are too widespread, because other people at PFF would start to notice that the data doesn't add up or is giving inconsistent results.  

But, as your local news always says, tune in at 11 for further details.  

i would say the data doesnt add up so ...

at this point whenever i see PFF i tune out because even if somehow they are accurate it doesnt correlate to how good the player actually is.

5 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Unless Lewan is in possession of real evidence that PFF has taken bribes (which is highly unlikely), then he is probably the one that’s in trouble.  PFF is not a small business and that is a potentially very damaging accusation.  I am surprised we have not seen a retraction by now.  I’m sure he’s gotten a cease and desist letter from PFF’s lawyers discussing how slanderous his statements are and what the legal ramifications could be.

4 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

If true, there probably is no way to prove it.  There is also really no reason to share if you cant prove It.

Not a surprise if true.

If you read the dateline in the link (https://atozsports.com/nashville/taylor-lewan-makes-statement-that-completely-discredits-pro-football-focus/) the article was published on Thursday... 3 days ago.

If there was any credence to Lewan's allegations, other media outlets would have "picked it up" and started digging into this. In particular Pro Football Talk founder Mike Florio would be all over this story. He isn't. In fact PFT hasn't even mentioned this story and they are the kings of clickbait.

IMO Lewan should be hoping the story dies because if it doesn't, the likely outcome is that he'll be the one in trouble, not PFF.

On a related subject when you speak with those who believe in conspiracy theories (pick one, any one) they're always at a loss to explain how those committing the conspiracies (Chemtrails for instance) are able to keep them secret. IMO if NFL players were paying $50K to boost their PFF ratings it would be pretty easy to find out and pretty damn hard to keep it a secret. All it would take is one disgruntled employee, or an employee who has a pang of consciousness, or an employee under oath deciding not to lie. Or the confession of an NFL player saying that he did nothing wrong... or... you get the idea.

I've been wrong plenty of times but I don't believe Lewan's claim at all. That dude is a fail on so many levels... including trying to be irreverent and provocative on an informal pop culture sports site.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Your Brown Eye said:

And Wegmans pays Forbes to be at the top of the best companies to work for list, honestly is anyone really surprised by this?

My wife has worked at Wegmans ft for the last 7 years.  

Every year she flips out with that insane ranking.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.