Titans OT Taylor Lewan says players pay PFF for higher grades

Einstein

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The poster I was responding to said something like "Talk about going out of your way to find something to feel contempt about"

My point is, we're in a thread talking about PFF taking bribes, that doesn't seem far "out of the way".

It's not like he popped into a thread about Perry's Frozen Yogurt to explain his feelings on Pro Football Focus or something.

that poster, I believe, was also commenting on one’s bizarre baseline contempt for a player rating website

48 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

If provable that would explain a lot.

Given their past admissions of purposefully putting out bait, on top of make believe stats that they use, ie; “ should have been / counted as an interception “ crap this wouldn’t/ shouldn’t surprise anyone, par for the course for “ now there’s a guy” and his crew.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, it is PFF's apparent goal to be accepted as the definitive source for objective football information, and it's relied upon by people who bet on football or play fantasy football

https://www.pff.com/grades

In general, taking bribes is regarded as despicable

Adding the two, if it were true that PFF took bribes from players to inflate their statistics, while holding forth as a source of objective football information, that would probably be fairly described as despicable.

You say "apparent goal" like it's some insidious plot.

What company doesn't have the objective of being accepted as the best at what they do?  

As a football fan we don't have to like services like PFF or FO but is it not a step in the right direction to be evaluating player performance on an individual basis?  

That's exactly how the league actually works........players are evaluated individually on an ongoing basis.........so why is it at all unsavory for an independent scouting service to offer their version/opinion of that same process?

And this branch of the conversation started because R2 said he despised PFF before any allegation of bribery.............an as yet unsubstantiated claim of taking bribes wasn't even part of that equation.

3 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Always the same people on here.. 

Of the million ridiculous things you have said over the years on here and you’re worried about nitpicking one word. I will take my time on my lunch break to make sure I use the correct words you approve of. My apologies

they are your words.  I don’t disapprove of them, they reflect your beliefs, which I find odd.

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

they are your words.  I don’t disapprove of them, they reflect your beliefs, which I find odd.

My answer would be the same one you gave me earlier. 

I’ll edit to say we’re not contributing any longer and im moving on before the thread gets killed. 

Edited by Rc2catch
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Kyle Williams literally laughed at the idea that anyone outside the team could grade his performance with the kind of detail PFF claims it does.   It's just stupid.   It's a different variation on the notion that Mel Kiper understands who are the best players coming out of college.  

There are true experts on these subjects, and they don't work for the networks or PFF.  

I believe that was Eric Wood.

Whose example was a play that was easy that was actually a mistake by a rookie which on film looked just like a mistake by a rookie. It was pretty funny, his best example was a play that he explained was actually just what it looked like.

Every NFL team pays them for their data. If they sucked at their job, nobody would pay.

Now, if Lewan is correct, it would be indefensible. But he didn't appear to have any proof. 

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

giphy.gif

Errr....this is a thread about PFF allegedly taking "bribes" to inflate statistics?

I am sure Teflon Tom bribes PFF Queen Cris Collinsworth to bring up his name each he does even if it has nothing to do with him but bribe PFF?

BILL-THE-CAT.jpg

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Thank you.   That's all I can ask for at lunch.   That and no f*cking tuna fish.

Tuna fish is an inexpensive and nourishing high protein food.  Tuna fish, Perry's Frozen Yogurt, what's next, hate Apple Pie?

8 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Whose example was a play that was easy that was actually a mistake by a rookie which on film looked just like a mistake by a rookie. It was pretty funny, his best example was a play that he explained was actually just what it looked like.

Every NFL team pays them for their data. If they sucked at their job, nobody would pay.

Now, if Lewan is correct, it would be indefensible. But he didn't appear to have any proof. 

I'm not sure what play you're talking about, but Eric Wood did a segment where he pointed out why sometimes players get treated by teams (extended, asked to take salary cuts) in a way discordant with their PFF ratings.

His example was a play where he was graded as apparently whiffing on a blocker.  He was playing next to Richie Incognito (no rookie) whose assignment it was to block that guy.  The Bills won, and Wood said he and Richie joked afterwards that PFF would assign the fault to him (Wood). 

They did.

It's the reason why I personally feel that PFF's OL and DL grades are particularly to be taken with a large grain of salt.

• Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Tuna fish is an inexpensive and nourishing high protein food.  Tuna fish, Perry's Frozen Yogurt, what's next, hate Apple Pie?

I'm not sure what play you're talking about, but Eric Wood did a segment where he pointed out why sometimes players get treated by teams (extended, asked to take salary cuts) in a way discordant with their PFF ratings.

His example was a play where he was graded as apparently whiffing on a blocker.  He was playing next to Richie Incognito (no rookie) whose assignment it was to block that guy.  The Bills won, and Wood said he and Richie joked afterwards that PFF would assign the fault to him (Wood). 

They did.

It's the reason why I personally feel that PFF's OL and DL grades are particularly to be taken with a large grain of salt.

I am fine with apple pie but not with Perry's vanilla frozen yogurt on it.    Tuna is known to be dolphin safe,  which I dislike.   PFF is dolphin neutral.

27 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

I believe some teams pay for the raw stats which can be compiled by anyone simply watching enough film and counting occurrences. I would be shocked if they paid for player grades.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

chris rock wtf GIF

Tuna fish is a foul-smelling poor peasant dish. Not even in the same sphere as warm, delicious apple pie. I despise you for comparing the two.

• Haha (+1) 5

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

chris rock wtf GIF

Tuna fish is a foul-smelling poor peasant dish. Not even in the same sphere as warm, delicious apple pie. I despise you for comparing the two.

My mother used to make us eat salmon patties for dinner.  Don’t even talk to me about frickin tuna fish. 

• Sad 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.