Titans OT Taylor Lewan says players pay PFF for higher grades

Einstein

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

why would anyone need to “despise” something like PFF?

how is it possible to be that worked up over it?

weird

To clarify nobody is worked up. I dislike hearing about their rankings when debating around with other people. During the last 17 quarters Ryan Tannehill is the highest graded quarterback in the league type stuff. If despise is to harsh a word for your liking simply swap it with whatever you like. 

• Agree 2

There is some significant real estate between just not liking something and despising it.

I don't like Perry's frozen yogurt........I think they allow uncultured milk to end up in the product.........but I don't hate them for making it or anyone else for liking it.  

It's just a product...........like PFF.

It's on you to know the different meanings of words in the english language,  not someone else to understand your misuse of them.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

why would anyone need to “despise” something like PFF?

how is it possible to be that worked up over it?

weird

Well, it is PFF's apparent goal to be accepted as the definitive source for objective football information, and it's relied upon by people who bet on football or play fantasy football

https://www.pff.com/grades

In general, taking bribes is regarded as despicable

Adding the two, if it were true that PFF took bribes from players to inflate their statistics, while holding forth as a source of objective football information, that would probably be fairly described as despicable.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, it is PFF's apparent goal to be accepted as the definitive source for objective football information, and it's relied upon by people who bet on football or play fantasy football

Adding the two, if it were true that PFF took bribes from players to inflate their statistics, while holding forth as a source of objective football information, that would probably be fairly described as despicable.

The networks use them as if they are some sort of final answer in determining how good a player is.

Crazy since how could they possibly even know when they have no idea what any player's responsibility it on a given play they are "grading".

Could you imagine if the same system was used in schools?

It would be like someone giving a test and grading it without even knowing what the correct answer is and guessing whether they got the question right or not based on their opinion.

Edited by Big Turk

I've never liked PFF, but I'd be amazed if this were true.  Maybe someone at PFF took a bribe on one or more occasions, but I doubt that PFF makes a practice of inflating scores in exchange for payments.   Collinsworth is too smart risk his franchise, which seems to be pretty well established, to collect a few hundred thousand extra dollars.  And even if there have been bribes, it doesn't make sense that the bribes are too widespread, because other people at PFF would start to notice that the data doesn't add up or is giving inconsistent results.  

But, as your local news always says, tune in at 11 for further details.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

18 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

To clarify nobody is worked up. I dislike hearing about their rankings when debating around with other people. During the last 17 quarters Ryan Tannehill is the highest graded quarterback in the league type stuff. If despise is to harsh a word for your liking simply swap it with whatever you like. 

how about: “who gives a ****?”

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

the poster I was responding to wasn’t making this argument.  He simply “despise(s)” PFF regardless of this claim by the player if bribery.

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

“[PFF] is a complete liability, it’s a lie,” says Lewan in the video. “Do you know there’s NFL football players who go and pay $50,000 a year to PFF so their numbers are inflated?”

https://atozsports.com/nashville/taylor-lewan-makes-statement-that-completely-discredits-pro-football-focus/

Be interesting to see what PFF says. I doubt it, myself, as it would be a stupid business move, killing the goose for the golden egg. My guess is it's a rumor, but we'll see.

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

“[PFF] is a complete liability, it’s a lie,” says Lewan in the video. “Do you know there’s NFL football players who go and pay $50,000 a year to PFF so their numbers are inflated?”

https://atozsports.com/nashville/taylor-lewan-makes-statement-that-completely-discredits-pro-football-focus/

If you can pay off a credit reporting agency to get your scores up, why not this?

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Crazy since how could they possibly even know when they have no idea what any player's responsibility it on a given play they are "grading".

Kyle Williams literally laughed at the idea that anyone outside the team could grade his performance with the kind of detail PFF claims it does.   It's just stupid.   It's a different variation on the notion that Mel Kiper understands who are the best players coming out of college.  

There are true experts on these subjects, and they don't work for the networks or PFF.  

16 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

There is some significant real estate between just not liking something and despising it.

I don't like Perry's frozen yogurt........I think they allow uncultured milk to end up in the product.........but I don't hate them for making it or anyone else for liking it.  

It's on you to know the different meanings of words in the english language,  not someone else to understand your misuse of them.

I'm not quite sure at whom this is directed, but I'll bite.  Sure, there's some significant real estate there.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/despicable

Definition of despicable

: deserving to be despised : so worthless or obnoxious as to rouse moral indignation despicable behavior

I'm not sure what you mean by "uncultured milk"; I don't think there's anything in the definition of "frozen yogurt" that specifies the period of time milk must be in contact with microorganisms to produce a cultured milk product, but I could be wrong.  It might give the product a flavor you dislike, or produce a GI reaction in you personally.  DIslike would be an appropriate description.

On the other hand, if it were to be alleged that Perry's was not following good manufacturing practices, mixing in unpasturized milk or using cultures contaminated with bacteria not generally regarded as safe, I would say that would go beyond personal dislike.  It might not be despicable, depending upon how it occurred or intent.

Now if it's alleged that Perry's knew damned well they were following unsafe manufacturing practices and producing a contaminated product for sale that could sicken immunocompromised people, elderly, and young children ..... and further that they were bribing their contracted microbiology lab to falsify test results by lowering the bacteria count to allowed levels, I would call that despicable if true.

Same thing - I distrust PFF's methodology, I don't like their grades.  That's where I normally am on PFF.  I don't like the products they sell to the public; I don't subscribe; I don't give them a lot of weight because they don't pass the "eyeball test" to me.

On the other hand, it's been alleged by Lewan that they are actually taking pay to alter player grades that they assert (to their betting and fantasy customers) are objectively determined.  If that is true, IMHO it amounts to bribery and is correctly described as despicable.

So it doesn't seem like a stretch to me for someone to come into a thread on this topic and opine that they despise PFF.  That's their opinion.

YMMV 🤷‍♀️

Always the same people on here.. 

Of the million ridiculous things you have said over the years on here and you’re worried about nitpicking one word. I will take my time on my lunch break to make sure I use the correct words you approve of. My apologies

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

how about: “who gives a ****?”

the poster I was responding to wasn’t making this argument.  He simply “despise(s)” PFF regardless of this claim by the player if bribery.

The poster I was responding to said something like "Talk about going out of your way to find something to feel contempt about"

My point is, we're in a thread talking about PFF taking bribes, that doesn't seem far "out of the way".

It's not like he popped into a thread about Perry's Frozen Yogurt to explain his feelings on Pro Football Focus or something.

• Haha (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

The networks use them as if they are some sort of final answer in determining how good a player is.

Could you imagine if the same system was used in schools?

It would be like someone giving a test and grading it without even knowing what the correct answer is and guessing whether they got the question right or not based on their opinion.

Please. 

If it were really that tough, we'd have no idea whether any player was any good.

It's just not that difficult to tell what most players were supposed to do on most plays, once you can look at the film. There are plays where you can't be sure occasionally, but in most cases it's pretty clear. When it's ambiguous, PFF doesn't try to guess.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.