Buffalo Braves Thread -all things Braves

Chandler#81

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Showing my age... But growing up, we'd go to the games.  Sit in Oranges, where my vertigo was honed at an earlier age!

Free tickets... Collect the sides from Dairylea milk cartons... Trade them in for the cheap seats. 

Yes, you are young. 😋

1 hour ago, PastaJoe said:

I got to see a double header at the Aud. First game was the Harlem Globetrotters vs the Washington Generals, followed by the Braves vs Bill Walton and the Portland Trail Blazers.

I saw the Globetrotters there, but Braves vs Bill Walton would have been AWESOME in those days. Good for you! 

Loved the Braves. My dad had 1/2 season tickets, center court reds, last few years. Went to a lot of games

Randy Smith was my guy. NBA Ironman. Pretty sure 78 All Star game MVP.  Had picture taken with him in the stands on a player picture night. Met him years later. Great guy

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/17/2022 at 11:42 AM, Rico said:

Random Braves thoughts from when I was a kid:

- I remember being excited when they got Dick Garrett who started for the great Willis Reed Knicks championship team in the expansion draft, but he really didn’t do anything here.
- Elmore Smith zzzzzz.

- Ernie D was beloved by everyone until they realized he was Ernie No-D, but he was fun to watch.

- Loved it when they traded for Jack Marin (great range, he could gun it) and Bob Weiss (didn’t look like a basketball player, but he got the job done).

- Walt Hazzard -> Machdi Abdul Rahman -> no all-star with the Braves.

- Jack Ramsey: always liked him, glad he won championships later with the Blazers. 

- Bob McAdoo: what a stud, likewise glad he won with the Lakers.
- Randy Smith = fastest player in the league, my fav.

ETA: My bad memory, Dick Garrett started on the Lakers team with Wilt, Jerry West, and Elgin Baylor that lost to Willis Reed’s Knicks team DOH.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/LAL/1970.html

Of all of the Buffalo sports franchises the Braves probably had the most personnel luck.    

To have an All Star like Randy Smith and HOF'ers McAdoo, Dantley and even Moses Malone all pass thru the organization early in their careers.........oh what coulda' been.

And after they became the Clippers they couldn't so anything right with regard to personnel.   

Maybe the best thing about the Braves leaving is we didn't have to live thru Benoit Benjamin playing in Buffalo.    He was the Leodis McKelvin of NBA big men.

• Like (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Of all of the Buffalo sports franchises the Braves probably had the most personnel luck.    

To have an All Star like Randy Smith and HOF'ers McAdoo, Dantley and even Moses Malone all pass thru the organization early in their careers.........oh what coulda' been.

And after they became the Clippers they couldn't so anything right with regard to personnel.   

Maybe the best thing about the Braves leaving is we didn't have to live thru Benoit Benjamin playing in Buffalo.    He was the Leodis McKelvin of NBA big men.

Moses Malone… I was actually in the Aud to witness his 2nd game & 2 of his 3 mop-up minutes before being traded away. :doh: I was pissed they didn’t play him, and then he was gone.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/197610230BUF.html

Agreed, so much talent, but no one made the worst trades. McAdoo to the Knicks made me cry, $$$ and John f’n Gianelli. Dantley trade was outrageous too, after his great rookie year for Billy Knight. I just read this article, it says John Y. Brown thought they had too many ‘inside’ scorers so they traded AD and kept John Shumate & Swen Nater wtf!

https://medium.com/top-level-sports/adrian-dantley-couldnt-stop-scoring-slept-on-sports-ep-18-b72469fb3ddc

Elmore Smith for Jim McMillian was a good one though.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Rico said:

Moses Malone… I was actually in the Aud to witness his 2nd game & 2 of his 3 mop-up minutes before being traded away. :doh: I was pissed they didn’t play him, and then he was gone.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/197610230BUF.html

Agreed, so much talent, but no one made the worst trades. McAdoo to the Knicks made me cry, $$$ and John f’n Gianelli. Dantley trade was outrageous too, after his great rookie year for Billy Knight. I just read this article, it says John Y. Brown thought they had too many ‘inside’ scorers so they traded AD and kept John Shumate & Swen Nater wtf!

https://medium.com/top-level-sports/adrian-dantley-couldnt-stop-scoring-slept-on-sports-ep-18-b72469fb3ddc

Elmore Smith for Jim McMillian was a good one though.

Billy Knight was an incredibly smooth player.  I was a big fan.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, The Dean said:

Billy Knight was an incredibly smooth player.  I was a big fan.

I would rather have AD. 

I was living in Ann Arbor when the Pistons traded AD for Mark Aguirre, got pissed off all over again lol.

2 minutes ago, Rico said:

I would rather have AD. 

I was living in Ann Arbor when the Pistons traded AD for Mark Aguirre, got pissed off all over again lol.

Duh

• Haha (+1) 1

I remember going camping at Darien Lake in the early 70s, which BTW was nothing like it is today...it was mainly just a campground...but I remember Braves logos all over the place.  Did the Braves actually have their preseason training camp there?

On 5/17/2022 at 9:38 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

It's sad Buffalo lost the Braves but it would have been worse being the punching bag of the NBA like the Sacramento Kings, who oddly enough, used to the Rochester Royals. The NBA has become such a diva league, you can only compete for elite talent if you are in a major city or sexy location. And even if you do get someone they could decide not to even try. (Looking at you, James Harden.) I can't stand the NBA. I'd rather watch college ball.

I mean granted I'm pretty out of the loop when it coms to the NBA but I wouldn't say Milwaukee is the center of night life for guys in their 20s/30s.

The Bucks were last years champs 

On 5/17/2022 at 1:06 AM, Chandler#81 said:

wonder how many Knicks fans would remember Walt Frazier was a Cav? 

Edited by Another Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Another Fan said:

I mean granted I'm pretty out of the loop when it coms to the NBA but I wouldn't say Milwaukee is the center of night life for guys in their 20s/30s.

The Bucks were last years champs 

wonder how many Knicks fans would remember Walt Frazier was a Cav? 

The talk of the NBA now is where will Giannis play next. Anytime someone good is in a minor market, all they talk about is which elite franchise will get them.

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.