Racially motivated murder at Tops

Just now, Gugny said:

I'm 51 years old and know exactly zero people who've had their house broken into.  I like my odds.

I'm 61 years old and had our house broken in to in  Oakland 12 months after we bought it.  Caught 2 people looking in the windows on our security cam when it as listed for sale.  The home across the street was broken into three times in the five years we lived there.  We had strangers knock on our door in the middle of the night several times.  I called OPD several times with suspicious activity out front.   And here's the kicker.  The original owners were victims of home invasion.  Tied up and beaten for six hours.  So just because you know no one who has had their homes broken in to doesn't mean the rest of us care about YOUR odds.  I care about protecting me and my family if I live somewhere that requires my protection. 

And BTW this is not the slums of Oakland.  That house is now valued on Zillow at $1.4m  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'm 51 years old and know exactly zero people who've had their house broken into.  I like my odds.

Who gives a sh*t about your life experiences? Just because you and your imaginary friends have never had a break in... that doesn't mean the 2.5+ MILLION houses broken into don't exist.

This happened down the road from where I lived a few years ago... but you've never had to deal with it, so others shouldn't have that right. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/03/28/three-burglars-entered-an-oklahoma-home-the-owners-son-opened-fire-with-an-ar-15-deputies-say/ 

13 minutes ago, Gugny said:

My definition of a semi-automatic gun is one that does not need to be cocked between shots fired.

I am not anti-gun and I am pro 2nd amendment.  But it's antiquated.  There is no reason for anyone to have semi-automatic weapons.  Their only purpose is to kill people.

We need less of that.

Ok that would be considered a pretty extreme stance.  I think that you would get a lot of pushback and that will likely not happen in your lifetime.  Pretty much all handguns are semi-automatic so you would want to ban those.  I don't think that's a very realistic outcome which is why these discussions never go anywhere and things never change.

The reasons for the 2nd amendment are just as true now as it was back then.  Our forefathers were trying to gain independence from a fascist monarchy and didn't want any government to have that much power over their citizens ever again.  The 2nd amendment was created so that a balance of power existed.  It wasn't created so people could go hunting or target shooting.  If you are against the 2nd amendment then you are against the fundamentals this country was built on.

2 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I'm 61 years old and had our house broken in to in  Oakland 12 months after we bought it.  Caught 2 people looking in the windows on our security cam when it as listed for sale.  The home across the street was broken into three times in the five years we lived there.  We had strangers knock on our door in the middle of the night several times.  I called OPD several times with suspicious activity out front.   And here's the kicker.  The original owners were victims of home invasion.  Tied up and beaten for six hours.  So just because you know no one who has had their homes broken in to doesn't mean the rest of us care about YOUR odds.  I care about protecting me and my family if I live somewhere that requires my protection. 

And BTW this is not the slums of Oakland.  That house is now valued on Zillow at $1.4m  

But you shouldn't be allowed to defend yourself. Nor should anyone else.... just because Gugny hasn't had anyone break into his home and he can kill a wild boar with a pocket knife. 

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Now you know at least one.  I posted this story earlier in the thread, but to make a long story short a while back my apartment was broken into while me and my then gf (now wife) were home.  We hid in the bedroom and called 911.  Luckily the criminals left when they figured out we were home because it took the police 2 hours to show up!  The 911 operator told my wife to ask the criminals what they wanted and ask if they were in the wrong apartment.  There is nothing worse as a man to see your significant other hiding in a closet crying thinking their life is about to end.  Needless to say I have ways of protecting my family now

Just now, ArdmoreRyno said:

But you shouldn't be allowed to defend yourself. Nor should anyone else.... just because Gugny hasn't had anyone break into his home and he can kill a wild boar with a pocket knife. 

But wait there's more!  I was at work and get a notification from my security system company that our downstairs motion detector had been triggered.  I think it might be the cat but they ask if I want OPD to investigate.  I say yes!  They show up at 4am! 14 hours later.  Never knocked, never did a security check. They looked in our windows and one cop says "the place doesn't look disheveled."  Excuse me??  Maybe we're in the back bedroom dead on the floor. With that taxpayer funded security I'm taking my safety into my own hands.  Took several weapons courses including home invasion.  

3 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Now you know at least one.  I posted this story earlier in the thread, but to make a long story short a while back my apartment was broken into while me and my then gf (now wife) were home.  We hid in the bedroom and called 911.  Luckily the criminals left when they figured out we were home because it took the police 2 hours to show up!  The 911 operator told my wife to ask the criminals what they wanted and ask if they were in the wrong apartment.  There is nothing worse as a man to see your significant other hiding in a closet crying thinking their life is about to end.  Needless to say I have ways of protecting my family now

Two. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

I served in the US Army, competed nationally with the AR-15 platform, I now just do it locally and I hunt. 

You have absolutely NO CLUE what you are talking about when it comes to firearms and hunting. Zero. So why don't you stick to something you understand. This is something, you don't.  

Honestly, who gives a rat's ass about your military experience?  That means LITERALLY nothing.

Just now, Gugny said:

Honestly, who gives a rat's ass about your military experience?  That means LITERALLY nothing.

You exclude the rest I see.. LOL 

My point? I am probably one of the best shooters you'll ever talk to online or offline. I was able to attend sniper school in the Army until they told me I'd have to go through 11C training (I was an 88M) to be allowed to attend. I've been ranked nationally with the AR-15.

You skipped everything else I said. Not surprised. 

Just now, ArdmoreRyno said:

You exclude the rest I see.. LOL 

My point? I am probably one of the best shooters you'll ever talk to online or offline. I was able to attend sniper school in the Army until they told me I'd have to go through 11C training (I was an 88M) to be allowed to attend. I've been ranked nationally with the AR-15.

You skipped everything else I said. Not surprised. 

This is very badolish.  Hmm.  Anyhoo ... you can toot your horn as much and as loudly as you want.  If you were that good, you'd be able to shoot an unarmed ***** animal in the heart with one shot.  But you need to be able to fire a shot per second.  Something's not adding up, here.

1 hour ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Same thing with knives or hell, hammers. 

443 people were killed by hammers in 2019. That's more than killed by ALL rifles the same year. 

Well, that is a very manipulative use of statistics. According to FBI.gov, the numbers for 2020 are 455 for rifles and 393 for not only hammers, but blunt objects in general (clubs, hammers,...). And then there is a much larger group of 4863 murder victims killed by "firearms, type not stated". I am sure there are also some rifles hidden in this group.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/195325/murder-victims-in-the-us-by-weapon-used/

Edited by DrW

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

2 minutes ago, Demongyz said:

ok you should go ***** yourself.

what a piece of *****

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

I'm a veteran, sweetheart.

1 minute ago, Demongyz said:

Well, thanks for hating yourself.

Well that escalated quickly.  Unfortunately, as I mentioned to the gentleman earlier in the thread, this is how these types of discussions usually go which is why nothing ever gets resolved.  There are extreme points of view on both sides of the aisle, and everyone has their heels dug in and not willing to budge.  Somewhere in the middle might be some common ground common sense laws that could be enacted but we will never get there if both sides refuse to have respectful dialogue

Just now, Gugny said:

This is very badolish.  Hmm.  Anyhoo ... you can toot your horn as much and as loudly as you want.  If you were that good, you'd be able to shoot an unarmed ***** animal in the heart with one shot.  But you need to be able to fire a shot per second.  Something's not adding up, here.

Again, you know zero about hunting. 

Lots of wild hogs stop to allow you to shoot them in the heart. Who cares about the ones who charge you while you're walking through the woods. 

You ever been to Oklahoma, Texas, etc? Hell, you have to carry when you hunt for f'ing morel mushrooms' because of the hog problems. My brother in law had a hog tusk go through his forearm AFTER he shot it (he was walking back from a deer stand when it charged him, he shot it once with a .45 and it continued to come after him). 

But you know better. Right? 

You're an embarrassment. 

Just now, KDIGGZ said:

Well that escalated quickly.  Unfortunately, as I mentioned to the gentleman earlier in the thread, this is how these types of discussions usually go which is why nothing ever gets resolved.  There are extreme points of view on both sides of the aisle, and everyone has their heels dug in and not willing to budge.  Somewhere in the middle might be some common ground common sense laws that could be enacted but we will never get there if both sides refuse to have respectful dialogue

So you can look at the gun violence statistics in this country and honestly say that removing all semi-automatic weapons is extreme??  Common man.  That's not extreme.  It's logical.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

So you can look at the gun violence statistics in this country and honestly say that removing all semi-automatic weapons is extreme??  Common man.  That's not extreme.  It's logical.

Explain how'd you even begin to do that.  A few things... 1. Most people would tell the government to f-off and 2. Most small town LEO and sheriff's in conservative states (like all of middle-America) would also tell the federal gov. to f-off. I know for a FACT, my county sheriff would never be part of a gun 'take back' program. 

So how are you going to take semi-auto firearms from people? Good luck with that.