Mass shooting in Buffalo (Those wishing to exchange on the political aspects of this situation should do so in the thread located in PPP) - edit by moderator

Buffalo716

3 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Not sure your familiar with the process to buy a pistol in New York, but it’s completely different than buying a rifle. The rifle purchase requires an instant background check through the federal database (like how this guy purchased his rifle). It’s rife with holes and isn’t very thorough. The pistol permit process is extensive. It takes about a year of interviews and background checks in Erie county to finally get one. In the end your entire file with interviews, reference checks, and background investigation goes to a judge who has to sign off on your file. I’m advocating for every rifle to have that same process.

Of course New York’s pistol permit process is under fire and probably 50/50 to get overturned in the Supreme Court anyways. Which is why it probably would never fly. Most states you walk in to buy a pistol and it’s the same as buying a rifle (instant background check). 

Wow, no I was not familiar.  Something that takes a year of interviews sounds a bit much.  But surely there could be something in the middle.

It just seems like when a guy has previously made shooting threats like a year ago, a system where he can stroll into a gun shop and stroll out with an AR-15 is flawed.

22 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Wow, no I was not familiar.  Something that takes a year of interviews sounds a bit much.  But surely there could be something in the middle.

It just seems like when a guy has previously made shooting threats like a year ago, a system where he can stroll into a gun shop and stroll out with an AR-15 is flawed.

He also strolled into stores for high volume clips and combat gear. Those items, along with the AR-15 should not be available for purchase by anyone, let alone mentally deranged animals like Peyton Gendron. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 6

8 hours ago, extrahammer said:

Yeah let's not pretend there hasn't been a rise in these cases and we actually care about it when nothing gets done. Both sides will politick the hell out of this and we will be lucky if there are any real solutions. 

replied in PPP

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

Just saying playing internet psychologist doesn’t really help anything here. Problem is, nothing does. It’s tough for rational people to try and explain an irrational act of horrific violence like this. Like I said, hurling blame at this point does nothing except continue to diminish the victims lives and just turns the whole thing into another debate.

No clue what the answer is, but it sucks. I don’t like living in a world where I might be out grocery shopping with my kid and could be mowed down by some whacko. I get everyone is angry and I am too. Just wish that anger could actually be effectively channeled somehow and not just turn into the “usual”. Its not my job to tell people how to react or feel, so I’m sorry for the tone of my last post. And you’re right, “thoughts & prayers” doesn’t do squat either. Tough to come up with anything reasonable to say at this point. It just sucks

haha yeah playing the internet psychologist and even Trying to make sense of this seems futile. Mental illness is a pervasive issue in our society with what we have had to deal with during covid. Having said that if only there was a crystal ball to tell us who we should be fearful of and who is a responsible person wishing to own a firearm that would be the ticket eh? But almost impossible to do. But I think we MUST try. At the same time I don't see these attacks, school shootings, shootings in places of worship as being 100% preventable either. Stopping even ONE attempt at a terrorist act like what occurred in Buffalo makes the attempt and dialogue even more crucial to at least TRY though. Hate pervasive enough to instigate something like this, how to identify it? The poway shooter Im most familiar with having lived so close to it you would have never suspected. At least on the surface his family seemed "Normal" ...as did he the shooter himself. TOO Normal which makes the prospect of stopping another person like him even harder. 

Edited by muppy

The way to prevent these types of incidents is for people to speak up, call police, ask for help, if they know or suspect someone is considering violence. If my son threatened to kill other students, I wouldn’t want him having access to any gun. If I saw him buying a combat vest and helmet, I would be calling the cops. Kid clearly needed mental health intervention. Did people think his thoughts were normal?Maybe parents were in denial. Someone likely knew something but didn’t take it seriously or ignored the signs. 

• Like (+1) 1

this was a post I saw that I found very profound #Historian

Pardon me if I wax philosophic for a moment:

I was thinking about this kid after they showed him being arraigned on the news. (I refuse to post his picture here with respect for the victims)

18 years old, and his life is now over.

He looks like half of the kids on my son's HS hockey team. (The bushy long hair being back in style)

Now he's going to become a ward of our state for the next 50-60 years.

At some point, he will probably have an epiphany about his horrific acts, but it will be far too late.

18 years old. Walking around in combat gear, hunting innocent people of color.

When I was 18, all I was concerned about was graduating high school, getting into my girlfriend's pants, and saving up for mag wheels for my Chevelle.

How does this happen?

How does a teenager get radicalized?

If you can explain it to me, I'm all ears.

Seriously.

now THIS thought, the one I bolded may well be known by experts already ,........ but how to counteract it, somehow prevent it..PROACTIVELY......that would be valuable fruitful information

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Beck Water said:

It's being reported that the piece of scum murderer in Buffalo passed his background check to buy an AR-15 in a gun shop despite having previously made shooting threats directed at a school and having been investigated/sent for mental health evaluation.  It would have to be a better, more thorough background check with more reasons to disallow people than we have currently.

We all have to be licensed to drive a car, which involves passing a written and practical exam and vision check.  The car must be registered and in most states, insured. Just saying.

There are serious flaws in the national background check system, I am not defending the current process, but driving a car is not a constitutional right. It is a poor comparison. 

22 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

There are serious flaws in the national background check system, I am not defending the current process, but driving a car is not a constitutional right. It is a poor comparison. 

Constitutional scholars evidently debate about the textual basis for a "right to free travel" between the states.  I'll leave that here and step away because I don't wanna get smacked upside the haid and sent off to PPP without supper.

Edited by Beck Water

20 hours ago, TBBills said:

Yea far reaching for a week and then you will all forget about it like always. So please spare me the bull#### of pretending to be sympathetic like everyone does in this world.

I understand your point if it was a random shooting halfway across the country.  However, you're a little tone deaf considering a lot of people on this board are from the area and may know someone who was a victim or a friend/family member who lost a loved one.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

8 hours ago, Andy1 said:

The way to prevent these types of incidents is for people to speak up, call police, ask for help, if they know or suspect someone is considering violence. If my son threatened to kill other students, I wouldn’t want him having access to any gun. If I saw him buying a combat vest and helmet, I would be calling the cops. Kid clearly needed mental health intervention. Did people think his thoughts were normal?Maybe parents were in denial. Someone likely knew something but didn’t take it seriously or ignored the signs. 

Fear, ignorance, self-righteousness, pride, dishonesty... aspects of the human psyche that cap our collective potential. ***** like these mass shootings will keep happening until we actually evolve as a species.

11 hours ago, Andy1 said:

The school, police or his family should have reported the incident as an ERPO case which would have required him to surrender all guns and stop him from purchasing them. Nobody did. https://www.ny.gov/programs/red-flag-gun-protection-law

3 hours ago, aristocrat said:

The school, police or his family should have reported the incident as an ERPO case which would have required him to surrender all guns and stop him from purchasing them. Nobody did. https://www.ny.gov/programs/red-flag-gun-protection-law

Law enforcement had the opportunity to do so when they ordered an evaluation on him following threat of school shooting. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Thank you.  I'd like to quote this on the other side. The dark side.  Object or forever hold your peace! 😉 

*piece*

(though I'm thinking that was intentional)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.