Mass shooting in Buffalo (Those wishing to exchange on the political aspects of this situation should do so in the thread located in PPP) - edit by moderator

Buffalo716

5 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

For some reason I think they're focus is on someone murdering 10 people because of race.

no doubt that is foremost.  But there are already news accounts quoting residents asking what I asked.

It's odd this guy chose this area to carry out his manifesto.

this lunatic was torturing and killing cats apparently, I wouldn't doubt if his parents knew what a little monster they were incubating.

Others knew of of his instability also:

“A school official reported that this very troubled young man had made statements indicating that he wanted to do a shooting, either at a graduation ceremony, or sometime after,” the same government official familiar with the case told the News.

State Police were sent to investigate and Gendron, under a section of state mental health laws, was referred for a mental health evaluation and counseling, the official told the News.

https://www.syracuse.com/crime/2022/...about-him.htm

As part of the online writings, the alleged shooter, Gendron, alleges he obtained some of his weapons via purchases he made at gun stores in New York and Pennsylvania and at least one other gun that was a gift from his father.

https://abc7ny.com/buffalo-shooting-...rket/11852069/

1 hour ago, Chicagobills said:

Nate Geary from WGR with the worst take of all time. I lost all respect for him today 

Parents should be charged. 

Are we saying the parents had absolutely no idea what the son was doing ?

They didn't walk into his room once and saw the AR-15 and the bullet proof vest and the hundreds of round of ammunition on his bed ?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Im not into things that have not been verified.......did the parents even know there were signs of this is my question before I start blaming them.

Political affiliations of the parents......did they buy things that aided him in this?

blame is a tricky word 

bought him a gun, obviously knew he had made generalized threats at school as he was held for a couple days in a mental health evaluation last year. So odds are there are some justifiable fingers to point… just how many and what’s being said alongside the pointing.

that said this is an 18 year old of legal adulthood. So while we will likely be justified in judging them for some choices- it’s also not a 15 year old here either. 

4 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Parents should be charged. 

Are we saying the parents had absolutely no idea what the son was doing ?

They didn't walk into his room once and saw the AR-15 and the bullet proof vest and the hundreds of round of ammunition on his bed ?

bull####.

Tell us, oh wise one. What the ***** should they be charged with?

Edited by Beast

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

I'm not sure what you're struggling with at this point.  The likelihood fo being shot by police as a black man is more than twice as high as it is for a white man.  So I am simply saying he likely would have been shot if black.

I know you know this already so why are you pretending to not understand my straightforward statement?

I'm

Atta boy.  Should have led with that 3 posts ago.

I 💯 stand with my black brothers and sisters 

I'm mourning... This hurts

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Just now, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

How about being an accomplice to mass murder.

I ask you again, how could the parents not know about it ???

You seem to know that they knew something.

Owning guns is LEGAL.

Owning ammunition is LEGAL.

Owning body armor is LEGAL.

So, again, tell us what you know that the parents knew what this idiots was going to do. Show us proof. You made the statement.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 5/14/2022 at 4:07 PM, Not at the table Karlos said:

My friend's dad works security there and was on way up there to relieve guard that was killed. Wtf is wrong with people

i think perhaps worth the reminder that this isn’t an abstract thread- 

this is a Buffalo message board and members of this board both participating and reading may be more impacted than you think. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

How about being an accomplice to mass murder.

I ask you again, how could the parents not know about it ???

Of course you'd respond with a cute little laughing emoji because you have absolutely nothing of substance to offer.

The great thing about the legal system in New York is you need probable cause to make and arrest and beyond a reasonable doubt to convict at a trial.

Not maybe's and could be's without any proof like you think it should be.

2 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Well, I do not assent to those who are claiming this fella is representative of viewers of a particular television network or who vote a certain party. I don't believe white supremacy is an agenda pushed by conservatives, if that is what you are asserting or implying. Regardless, if that is your position, it is a prejudice with which dialogue is not possible.

There is a specific network that hosts programs which clearly push an agenda which influenced this person.  That same network is also clearly aligned with a political party most of the time.

If you can't admit that then I agree there's no dialogue possible.

Edited by Captain Caveman
  • Like (+1) 6

On 5/14/2022 at 7:12 PM, TheBrownBear said:

These kids are getting radicalized on various sites and gaming forums from a young age.  

He could just as easily been radicalized on Fox news, his ideology about white replacement is at the heart of Tucker Carlson's rantings.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Kind of strange that day after shooting, this is where your gonna direct your anger.  Not a great take by him, but more understandable than yours given what happened 24 hours ago.  

I assume Geary is tweeting in anger here since there’s no such crime as “grooming” a terrorist in NY. But there are concepts like criminal negligence that could be expanded to cover monstrosities like this and his parents, at least when the perpetrator is still a minor. Again, not the case here (barely) but I kinda get where he’s coming from. Everyone’s pissed; I know I am.

• Like (+1) 2

So often, someone knows something or may have a suspicion that someone they know may be planning violence. That is the frustration some have expressed regarding his parents. I’m sure the FBI is interviewing and investigating them regarding any knowledge they had of his plans. They certainly knew their son had psychological issues since he was referred for counseling due to concerns about killing students in school last year. Red flags everywhere on this kid. If you know something, say something. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Andy1 said:

So often, someone knows something or may have a suspicion that someone they know may be planning violence. That is the frustration some have expressed regarding his parents. I’m sure the FBI is interviewing and investigating them regarding any knowledge they had of his plans. They certainly knew their son had psychological issues since he was referred for counseling due to concerns about killing students in school last year. Red flags everywhere on this kid. If you know something, say something. 

Yeah... Or at least ask:

"Where you going with all that tactical gear and weapons? Road trip?"

Given his past threats and mental state, why was this not a concern to the people close to him?

Can hold a bartender for over-serving, why not others in this situation.   Given his past, why wasn't someone paying attention?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.