Mass shooting in Buffalo (Those wishing to exchange on the political aspects of this situation should do so in the thread located in PPP) - edit by moderator

Buffalo716

1 minute ago, Teddy KGB said:

white supremacy is always frowned upon 100 of 100 times that I’ve came across but I guess I don’t know everyone 

I wish that was true.

The articles I linked quote numbers like HALF of republicans and 1/3 of Americans overall believing in replacement theory, so white supremacy — unfortunately — may have more of a presence than we think, even if it’s veiled in indirect language and concepts.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Logic said:

I wish that was true.

The articles I linked quote numbers like HALF of republicans and 1/3 of Americans overall believing in replacement theory, so white supremacy — unfortunately — may have more of a presence than we think, even if it’s veiled in indirect language and concepts.

What some people don’t seem to grasp as you don’t have to actually come out and say all the right words to make it supremacy if you have weak minded individuals who will decipher it as such are there people out there with white hoods and hang nooses no that’s too direct they take words that they see come out of people that they trust that gets close enough

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1

The media and internet sites promoting promoting replacement theory or white supremacy are doing so for profit. This is their business decision. They promote and cultivate a market for these ideas. Lies for profit with no concern for the consequences on American society.

• Like (+1) 4

16 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

What some people don’t seem to grasp as you don’t have to actually come out and say all the right words to make it supremacy if you have weak minded individuals who will decipher it as such are there people out there with white hoods and hang nooses no that’s too direct they take words that they see come out of people that they trust that gets close enough

This may have been linked upthread, sorry for not looking

https://www.npr.org/2018/01/18/578745514/a-former-neo-nazi-explains-why-hate-drew-him-in-and-how-he-got-out

On how he was recruited into believing the white supremacist ideology

It started out with Clark [Martell, the former leader of Chicago Area Skinheads] and several of the older skinheads in this group appealing to my sense of pride, of being European, of being Italian. And then it would move on to instilling fear that I would lose that pride and that somebody would take that away from me if I wasn't careful. Then it went on to name specific groups through conspiracy theories that were bent on taking that pride or that privilege away from me.

So it was the fear rhetoric

I can tell you that every single person that I recruited or that was recruited around the same time that I did, up to now, up to what we're seeing today, is recruited through vulnerabilities and not through ideology.

I do think that there were a lot of concerted strategies in the '80s and '90s that we're seeing take hold today. We recognized in the mid-'80s that our edginess, our look, even our language, was turning away the average American white racist — people we wanted to recruit. So we decided then to grow our hair out, to stop getting tattoos that would identify us, to trade in our boots for suits and to go to college campuses and recruit there and enroll, to get jobs in law enforcement, to go to the military and get training and to even run for office. And here we are, 30 years later, and we're using terms like "white nationalist" and "alt-right" — terms that [the white supremacists] came up with, by the way. They sat around and said, "How can we identify ourselves to make us seem less hateful?" ...

Here we are in 2018 and we have a lot of hallmarks coming from political figures, the administration and policies that are very similar to what we espoused 30 years ago. The language may be a little bit more palatable. Dog whistles may be used, but it is still the same underlying theme. It is a white supremacist culture that is being pushed.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

It is with no joy that I have to say that after years of arguing the opposite point, I now have to agree with you.

The internet in general? A net positive. Social media? A net negative.

Correlation doesn't imply causation but mass shootings have increased since social media sites became more common.  Here's a chart that shows the number of mass shootings per year with the criteria being four or more people were killed by gunfire in a public place where the primary motive is mass murder (doesn't involve gangs or robberies).  I think the rise of social media is a significant reason for this trend for a variety of reasons.

number-of-mass-shootings-in-the-us.jpg

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

A interview on CH 4 at 11pm  with a black man who spoke to the killer for 1 and 3/4 hour Friday outside that Tops. They talked about all kind of subjects. He normally sat outside there to talk to people  but Saturday afternoon the guard who was killed kept clearing the area that saved his life. Buffalo is making such progress then this tragedy happens , sad beyond belief. It's a shame  that good black man with his kindness to the killer the day before didn't change his mind.

• Agree 1

Someone who is about to commit a horrific event will not be dissuaded by a kind and gentle man, who sits outside the store and talks to people in his neighborhood.

Just waking up and I eve more sick about this tragic loss.  I’m grateful no one I know was lost, but still is so horrible.

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

white supremacy is always frowned upon 100 of 100 times that I’ve came across but I guess I don’t know everyone 

feels reachy 

And yet you are encountering it. 

and I bet a lot of people are not condemning it even if you hear it condemned 

• Haha (+1) 1

Conklin NY.  That’s a hell of a drive for a  spur of the moment encounter. 

U.S. Rep. Brian Higgins said the gunman had a racial epithet on his rifle.

“It was straight up, a racially motivated hate crime,” Erie County Sheriff John Garcia told reporters.

In one segment of the video, the shooter is heard saying to himself and his followers, “You just got to go for it,” as his car approached the Tops supermarket on Saturday afternoon.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/straight-racially-motivated-hate-crime-013234917.html

12 hours ago, RiotAct said:

why oh why did NYS get rid of the death penalty?

It’s expensive and doesn’t change crime and innocent people get killed. Texas was hours away from executing a woman two weeks ago who has no business being in jail let alone death row.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, TH3 said:

It’s expensive and doesn’t change crime and innocent people get killed. Texas was hours away from executing a woman two weeks ago who has no business being in jail let alone death row.

This guy is not innocent 

33 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Gun violence in this country is a scourge we have been dealing with since at least I have been able to read the papers..say 1972..and prolly much longer.

What happened yesterday is just sad, so sickening, so upsetting to me. We know there are idiots out there at the extremes that do things like this for all kind of crazy reasons..hate of a race, hate of a religion, hate of Mondays, boredom, chasing fame.. 

But these high profile mass shootings are such a small part of the overall homicides committed every year..infinitesimal to be honest. Where was the outrage on twitter and on here Saturday morning  for this headlines from Saturday ? https://www.fox6now.com/news/milwaukee-shootings-homicides-police-051322...17 people shot and 3 dead on one night in Milwaukee. One ***** night

20K people  lost their lives last year via homicide...let that sink in ...20 THOUSAND...that is 54 Every Single Day. Many of those via gun violence in cities/states with very strict gun laws. Many of those commited by peoplr they know and love.

Unfortunately, we live in a ultra politicized environment  where honest discussion is not tolerated and root causes are not addressed by either party. We want to have easy answers...White Supremacy is why the murder rate is so high. Black on Black Violence is why the murder rate is so high. Defund the police is why the murder rate is so high... current gun laws are why the murder rate is so high..

Unfortunately, all of these things are prolly a piece of the problem, but our political identity has left us unable to accept ANY thought that comes from the other party or ideology...

I don't pray, but i weep for the victims and their families. I wept a bit the other day when a bartender at a sports bar here in Richmond was the victim of drive by at freaking noon on Wednesday afternoon. 

I wish the best for our country, and sure wish we could address  this address this issue with honesty and  not political identities.

There have been between 14,000 and 22,000+ murders a year in this country since 1969. That is an average of over 17,000 per year, and a total of over 1 million people murdered in this country in that period. The only time people seem to really care is when they can use a murder (or murders) for their own ends.

The real impact of lethal violence on victims, their families, and communities, as well as any real honest discussion about it seem to get lost in the rush to use tragedies in a way that best suits our needs.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.