Mass shooting in Buffalo (Those wishing to exchange on the political aspects of this situation should do so in the thread located in PPP) - edit by moderator

Buffalo716

4 minutes ago, CSBill said:

Awful! What breaks in a person’s head to cause this to happen???? Prayers for the victims and their families and friends. 

When it comes to hate like this, IMO it's taught. No one is born with it, regardless of who/what you hate it's a taught reaction.

No good way to stop that either sadly.

My best to anyone affected by this situation. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

It's a shame the shooter isn't in the same condition as his victims.

It might be better that he surrendered.  He might be part of a bigger group, and if not he might associate with more people of this type.  There is much to learn.  The legal system will put him away forever. 

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Sad and senseless indeed. Prayers to all those affected. I have to wonder, if these things weren’t covered so extensively in the media (not that I blame the media one bit), would there be so many mass shootings? We live in a copycat society. The guy in New Zealand was literally live streaming his kills.

There were mass shootings before, like the sniper on the University of Texas campus, but I remember these things really taking off after Columbine.

It doesn't matter what the news media covers.  Hate is shared rampantly through social media.

1 minute ago, jkeerie said:

It doesn't matter what the news media covers.  Hate is shared rampantly through social media.

I meant social media too. Any medium that can broadcast these senseless acts to 330 million people, some idiot somewhere will see it and copy it and all it takes is one. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, JayBaller10 said:

I meant social media too. Any medium that can broadcast these senseless acts to 330 million people, some idiot somewhere will see it and copy it and all it takes is one. 

Social media is less informative than it is a forum.  These incidents aren't really copied.  People who hate enough will find an avenue to act on that hatred whether or not it's been done before.

18 minutes ago, RunninRebel37 said:

Man…the fact police “talked him into putting down his gun” further illustrates how race factors into this. A white supremacist murders 10 people, with 11 of the 13 people shot being black, and police talked him down? It’s a trip. I pray something positive comes from this

He should have been shot on the spot regardless of whether he put his gun down.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Social media is less informative than it is a forum.  These incidents aren't really copied.  People who hate enough will find an avenue to act on that hatred whether or not it's been done before.

The idea has to originate somewhere, so in that sense it’s copied. Apparently this kid live streamed it on twitch and lists the New Zealand shooter as one of his heroes. I guess my point is, do you think we’d have so many of these shootings if they never got coverage? I know it’s an impossible question because it couldn’t happen, but people copy what they see. You’re right in that they’ll find a way to express that hatred, but I have no doubt they love the attention of these mass shootings.

• Like (+1) 1

This is so sad, how does an 18 year old kid get this screwed up that he drove all the way from Conklin to downtown Buffalo to shoot a bunch of strangers at a Tops. No way this happened in a a vacuum. I thought it was harder to get assault weapons in NY

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, JayBaller10 said:

The idea has to originate somewhere, so in that sense it’s copied. Apparently this kid live streamed it on twitch and lists the New Zealand shooter as one of his heroes. I guess my point is, do you think we’d have so many of these shootings if they never got coverage? I know it’s an impossible question because it couldn’t happen, but people copy what they see. You’re right in that they’ll find a way to express that hatred, but I have no doubt they love the attention of these mass shootings.

Would we have less tornadoes if they weren’t covered by the news?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 4

55 minutes ago, Beast said:

OK, so what is?

they should have shot the *****.

4 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

they will find a way. If not media they will read books etc etc..........

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

The shooter traveled HOURS to do this.......

I don't want to dive into the details from the news, did they say were he came from or no?  Just curious what would make someone travel HOURS, to buffalo, of all places, to decide to do this.

Edited by The Wiz

1 minute ago, The Wiz said:

I don't want to dive into the details from the news, did they say were he came from or no?

In the initial press conference they gave no details as law enforcement was investigating at his home and they did not want to forwarn any possible accomplices.  More details will follow after his arraignment this evening.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.