Todd Schlopy story. Local boy done Good

Chandler#81

‘87 season was my 1st year with season tickets. Just my luck, of course, there was a players strike and 3 games were played by replacement players. The last game these guys played was at Home vs the defending SB Champs NY Giants. All World LB Lawerence Taylor had crossed the picket line that week determined to stop the hemorrhaging by the champs and single-handedly win a game. He almost did. Local boy Todd Schlopy had tried out with the team twice, being beaten out in camp by Scott Norwood. He would later become an accomplished flimographer. The Bills brought him back last season to try his hand at filming an NFL game. I took my son to his 1st game to see him win the game that day, on the last play.

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 4

I was there at the game as a kid, too young at the time to understand about picket lines, strikes, unions etc.  All I remember is being scared to death having a bunch of huge NFL players in my face screaming at me for going to the game. It was fun to watch Parcells melt down when he got beat by a bunch of "scabs".

• Like (+1) 1

I was living downstate at the time & videotaped the game on my VCR.  It went so long I had to take the tape out & put the end at the beginning of the tape, taping over the pregame show.  I don't have any VCRs hooked up to any TV in my house & I haven't watched it in years.  

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

‘87 season was my 1st year with season tickets. Just my luck, of course, there was a players strike and 3 games were played by replacement players. The last game these guys played was at Home vs the defending SB Champs NY Giants. All World LB Lawerence Taylor had crossed the picket line that week determined to stop the hemorrhaging by the champs and single-handedly win a game. He almost did. Local boy Todd Schlopy had tried out with the team twice, being beaten out in camp by Scott Norwood. He would later become an accomplished flimographer. The Bills brought him back last season to try his hand at filming an NFL game. I took my son to his 1st game to see him win the game that day, on the last play.

Cool story …. Thanks for sharing

• Like (+1) 1

I was at No Names during that season, hanging out with a couple of players that I knew at the time. Some of the scrub players came up, sheepishly apologizing for “taking their jobs” and offering to buy us all drinks. I was just starting to walk away to let them do their thing, and Shane Conlan put his arm around me and said “come on, let’s go get some free drinks”.  

The scrubs thought I was on the team and the real Bills players played along. It was a very fun night.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I was at No Names during that season, hanging out with a couple of players that I knew at the time. Some of the scrub players came up, sheepishly apologizing for “taking their jobs” and offering to buy us all drinks. I was just starting to walk away to let them do their thing, and Shane Conlan put his arm around me and said “come on, let’s go get some free drinks”.  

The scrubs thought I was on the team and the real Bills players played along. It was a very fun night.  

Great story!

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

That was a really nice video, thanks for posting. It was a great story idea by NFL films too. I loved Schlopy's little aside about Jim Harbaugh... funny but not surprising.

I worked that game in a media capacity.

Several Bills had crossed the picket line by that time, Will Grant, Rob Riddick and a few others.

Schlopy was 2-5 in FGs in that game.

I remember Lawrence Taylor lining up at tight end and going out into the pattern.

After the game in the locker room after answering questions from the media corps, Schlopy was then the recipient of lots of hand shakes and backslapping from said media corps. Totally unprofessional but so was the football game.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.