Bryan Edwards traded to Falcons

18 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

As I stated in my previous post, Beane himself said on One Bills Drive that he envisions Shakir as the first man up at outside or inside.

It's the same situation as last season with the changes being Davis moves into Sanders spot. Crowder moves into Beasley's spot. Shakir moves into Davis' spot. Davis did that role since his Rookie season and I have faith in Shakir to be able to hold it down.

As I also stated in a previous post, Crowder (though undersized) has played outside in the past. So maybe they play with moving him to the Outside with Shakir in the Slot.

Either way, I don't see it as being as big of a thing as many posters do. It's not so different from the year before. And when you add in the extra receiving abilities of O.J. Howard from the TE position and James Cook from the RB position, I see us in better shape than we've probably ever been.

I'm not sold on Shakir outside and Beane's immediate reaction post draft was he was mainly an inside guy. I loved the Shakir pick..... but as our slot guy on a really cheap rookie deal for the next 3 or 4 years. I do not see him as a viable outside guy other than in spot duty. I don't think he is at all comparable to Gabe in that regard. 

I still think if a guy went down outside the risk is after trying Shakir and Crowder and Isaiah they'd come to the conclusion none of them are outside receivers and it would mean more Kumerow on the field. 

And I don't really buy Sal's "they are all just pass catchers" line. And to be honest I expect better from Sal. He knows the game well enough to know how different it is playing as an outside receiver compared to a tight end or a receiving back even if you can line those guys up wide now and again.

I get the argument that when you are talking about 3rd outside receiver as a weakness on the depth chart you are nitpicking on a complete roster. Of course we are. This is a very good roster and no roster can be perfect in the salary cap era.... but it doesn't mean we shouldn't talk about the areas that still concern us as fans.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So, thought experiment -

How would you break those guys down in terms of their specific roles?

Specifically, who are the backups to Diggs and Davis?

Good question and we lack depth at outside WR.  McKenzie and Crowder are purely slot guys.  Shakir projects better inside but I'm sure they'll give him some reps at the x position as well.  Kumerow is a special team gunner and a break glass in case of emergency backup WR.  Have they given up on Hodgins?  Does McBeane bring in another veteran WR (like Emmanuel Sanders) if they aren't satisfied with letting Shakir, Hodgins, or Kumerow being the next man up to Diggs or Davis?   I doubt players like Julio Jones or TY Hilton would be interested in a backup role.

41 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm not sold on Shakir outside and Beane's immediate reaction post draft was he was mainly an inside guy. I loved the Shakir pick..... but as our slot guy on a really cheap rookie deal for the next 3 or 4 years. I do not see him as a viable outside guy other than in spot duty. I don't think he is at all comparable to Gabe in that regard. 

I still think if a guy went down outside the risk is after trying Shakir and Crowder and Isaiah they'd come to the conclusion none of them are outside receivers and it would mean more Kumerow on the field. 

And I don't really buy Sal's "they are all just pass catchers" line. And to be honest I expect better from Sal. He knows the game well enough to know how different it is playing as an outside receiver compared to a tight end or a receiving back even if you can line those guys up wide now and again.

I get the argument that when you are talking about 3rd outside receiver as a weakness on the depth chart you are nitpicking on a complete roster. Of course we are. This is a very good roster and no roster can be perfect in the salary cap era.... but it doesn't mean we shouldn't talk about the areas that still concern us as fans.

Beane said he can play outside and inside though when he spoke in more detail about Shakir.  

That being said, I would have loved picking up Edwards so cheap and replacing Kumerow with him.  

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Beane said he can play outside and inside though when he spoke in more detail about Shakir.  

That being said, I would have loved picking up Edwards so cheap and replacing Kumerow with him.  

He did. I am just not sure I totally agree with him. It depends what "can play" means. Like if you are talking spotting Diggs and Gabe to give them a blow or even starting for one week if one of them has a knock... sure. My worry is more if either of them miss 4 or 5 games for example. You would definitely notice the drop off and they'd have to adjust the offense somewhat. 

And it isn't a knock on Shakir. I really did love the pick. I had a late 3 on him. I think he will be the starting slot by the end of the year and we will have an excellent slot on a 5th round rookie deal for 3 or 4 years. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I think it actually means something though. Doesn't it suggest someone with WR skills that doesn't necessarily play WR?

The reason those guys are special is because they have those skills AND they are NOT at the wide receiver position. Try to plug them in at boundary wideout and they can't come anywhere remotely close to replacing that role. Making plays from their own position, splitting out for a unique play call here and there or a decoy, sure it's great. But they are not wide receivers. Hyping "pass catchers" is a convenient, comfortable, delusional way to throw shade at the critical need for two top notch boundary receivers in an NFL offense. And as far as we know, we only actually HAVE two of those guys.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

FWIW, my opinion is we didn’t have the $, nor did we need Edwards.  We have more than enough pass catching options that are on our roster.  As stated above, Kumerow is a special teams guy like Jones.  He’s fine to fill in if we have an injury in a game.  Others have listed all of our pass catching options including TE and RB.

Beane has already restructured a number of contracts to get people signed.  We’ve also signed all of our draftees which is great.

Spotrac after the signings of the draftees has us with $5 mil. left, and we have $16 mil. in dead cap.   That’s more than Beane I’m sure wanted this year, but he stacked the roster.  We have almost no holes now.

Most solid GM’s like a $5 mil. cushion as an emergency fund for injuries during the season.  Otherwise if we have a gap for an IR guy means we’d have to cut another to sign the needed hole.  Beane, I don’t believe wants to operate with that agenda, so unless we have a significant injury, we are most likely done.

Edited by machine gun kelly

Posted (edited)

There's also something to be said for letting go of worrying about the health of our top two wideouts... Because whether it's quantum mechanics or karma, millions of Bills fans worrying about one bad thing happening can't be a good thing...  Come to think of it...   That probably was exactly what caused 13 seconds...

Edited by wakingfane
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Good question and we lack depth at outside WR.  McKenzie and Crowder are purely slot guys.  Shakir projects better inside but I'm sure they'll give him some reps at the x position as well.  Kumerow is a special team gunner and a break glass in case of emergency backup WR.  Have they given up on Hodgins?  Does McBeane bring in another veteran WR (like Emmanuel Sanders) if they aren't satisfied with letting Shakir, Hodgins, or Kumerow being the next man up to Diggs or Davis?   I doubt players like Julio Jones or TY Hilton would be interested in a backup role.

Agree, Doc.

And when it comes to our "pass catchers," why do we always forget Marquez Stevenson? Or, may he is not a very good "pass catcher?"

He seems to be the forgotten man on TBD, I guess the question is, is he forgotten on OBD?

40 minutes ago, CSBill said:

Agree, Doc.

And when it comes to our "pass catchers," why do we always forget Marquez Stevenson? Or, may he is not a very good "pass catcher?"

He seems to be the forgotten man on TBD, I guess the question is, is he forgotten on OBD?

We saw him play last year…

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yea, that’s a no brainer trade… although I doubt the trade compensation is the same for us as it was for Atlanta. 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Pete said:

I think you underestimate Kumerow.  Hes a big mismatch, and makes plays when hes in.  And hes one of our better special teams players

When did Jake Kumerow ever make a play when he was in? 

Only one that comes to mind is that wide open TD drop in NE.

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

FWIW, my opinion is we didn’t have the $, nor did we need Edwards.  We have more than enough pass catching options that are on our roster.  As stated above, Kumerow is a special teams guy like Jones.  He’s fine to fill in if we have an injury in a game.  Others have listed all of our pass catching options including TE and RB.

Beane has already restructured a number of contracts to get people signed.  We’ve also signed all of our draftees which is great.

Spotrac after the signings of the draftees has us with $5 mil. left, and we have $16 mil. in dead cap.   That’s more than Beane I’m sure wanted this year, but he stacked the roster.  We have almost no holes now.

Most solid GM’s like a $5 mil. cushion as an emergency fund for injuries during the season.  Otherwise if we have a gap for an IR guy means we’d have to cut another to sign the needed hole.  Beane, I don’t believe wants to operate with that agenda, so unless we have a significant injury, we are most likely done.

Didn’t have the money? 

Edwards base salary is the same as Kumerows.😅

And which would you rather have, a quality special teams guy who sucks at WR or a quality depth WR who can play well when needed to start who can’t play special teams? 

Again, no ***** brainer.

Edited by ScottLaw

7 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I think it actually means something though. Doesn't it suggest someone with WR skills that doesn't necessarily play WR?

Yes, it does mean something, exactly what you stated in fact, for some here the writing on the wall of how the offense is going to be deployed is not in view yet, not to worry though, eventually they will see the light, so to speak.

10 hours ago, Pete said:

I think you underestimate Kumerow.  Hes a big mismatch, and makes plays when hes in.  And hes one of our better special teams players

My man, he’s a practice squad guy and he’s 30 plus. stop pretending he is anything he’s not

1 hour ago, wakingfane said:

There's also something to be said for letting go of worrying about the health of our top two wideouts... Because whether it's quantum mechanics or karma, millions of Bills fans worrying about one bad thing happening can't be a good thing...  Come to think of it...   That probably was exactly what caused 13 seconds...

An injury to Diggs or Davis in a 17 plus game schedule is inevitable.

1 hour ago, CSBill said:

Agree, Doc.

The only question that matters:  did he improve this offseason? If not, he’s toast

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, First Round Bust said:

Aaron Rodgers likes Kumerow - then the Bils got him from the Pack and then back from the Saints. then kept-signed before he could become a UFA....so its NFL 4 and you zero...you may like Edwards, pick him up for your fantasy team...and keep the day job...

Rodgers loved Kumerow so much he threw to him only 30 times in 2 years.  

On the Bills Offense, he doesn't exist: 7 targets in 2 years.  He's not a factor at all.

Take a "zero" on this one...

• Disagree 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

It does, but the “pass catchers” term was in response to questions about Outside WR Depth. 

Grouping all the weapons together doesn’t change the fact that there is no proven outside WR depth behind Diggs & Davis.  

Diggs is top 5.  Davis has the ability to be a top tier WR, but this year is where he’ll prove it. Crowder is a very good slot WR.   That’s a Top 10 trio dependent upon Davis being the guy we all think he is. 

We probably have the best slot depth in the league with McKenzie and Shakir. 

For a team that throws the ball so much, it’s still concerning that the current answer for outside WR depth is 1) Kumerow and/or Stevenson 2) Moving a slot WR outside 3) Flexing Howard and Cook outside. 

Just seems like a very patchwork approach to outside WR3 on a pass heavy team, but hey.. this team has earned my trust so I’ll try not to be too annoying about this concern ha. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Rodgers loved Kumerow so much he threw to him only 30 times in 2 years.  

On the Bills Offense, he doesn't exist: 7 targets in 2 years.  He's not a factor at all.

Take a "zero" on this one...

our depth rsoter overall is good, there are other marginal WRs who have been in the program for years, did ever dawn on you cerebral giants that he is a special-teamer first and injury replacement kind of WR ?  consider injuries,the value of special teams...with a move towards more of a diverse two TE offense, and Cook a pass-catching RB, two star receivers plus Isaiah the jet-gadget-guy, where is the need for edwards ? how many snaps would he get, esp new to the process...beano says he values football players over track stars... if he is so good why was he traded...(along with a 7th) for a 5th ???   

I am not even sure most would pick him up on their fantasy team ...would you at 20 catches per year and 4 TDs over 2 years ?

4 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

our depth rsoter overall is good, there are other marginal WRs who have been in the program for years, did ever dawn on you cerebral giants that he is a special-teamer first and injury replacement kind of WR ?  consider injuries,the value of special teams...with a move towards more of a diverse two TE offense, and Cook a pass-catching RB, two star receivers plus Isaiah the jet-gadget-guy, where is the need for edwards ? how many snaps would he get, esp new to the process...beano says he values football players over track stars... if he is so good why was he traded...(along with a 7th) for a 5th ???   

I am not even sure most would pick him up on their fantasy team ...would you at 20 catches per year and 4 TDs over 2 years ?

So your point was "Arron Rodgers liked him"....as a special teams guy?