Bryan Edwards traded to Falcons

ScottLaw

May be one of these things as strong as Bills look, no other AFC contenders would be willing to trade with them.  Maybe the Bills would need to offer like $3 on the dollar to get them to agree.  Teams feel it will be tough enough to compete with them, and not going to make it any harder.  An NFC team have a chance??

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/raiders-trade-bryan-edwards-to-wide-receiver-needy-falcons

Not sure this was an option for the Bills, but I’d have done this trade in a heart beat… really liked Edwards coming out of college, would be good depth and push Kumerow off the roster. 

I think you underestimate Kumerow.  Hes a big mismatch, and makes plays when hes in.  And hes one of our better special teams players

• Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

45 minutes ago, Pete said:

I think you underestimate Kumerow.  Hes a big mismatch, and makes plays when hes in. 

No, he's not a mismatch at all.  

He fooled me in camp last year,  I thought he was much improved in the practice work I saw,  which matched the media hype.

But in the games his lack of receiving skill was glaring.

He doesn't do the things within 5 yards of the LOS well enough to buy any space for himself down the field...........and he's 30 years old now........it's not like there is a lot of runway left.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Pete said:

I think you underestimate Kumerow.  Hes a big mismatch, and makes plays when hes in.  And hes one of our better special teams players

Ehh let's be real he's not a "big" mismatch. He's a team guy that McD values and agreed on ST part. He is what he is a borderline 53 roster spot guy.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Aaron Rodgers likes Kumerow - then the Bils got him from the Pack and then back from the Saints. then kept-signed before he could become a UFA....so its NFL 4 and you zero...you may like Edwards, pick him up for your fantasy team...and keep the day job...

Edited by First Round Bust
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

He didn’t see reps in LV because Zay Jones lapped him.  No speed and lacks ability to separate.  He’s basically a small TE playing WR.  Susceptible to crowding.  First hand info from a raider employee that watches almost every practice.

Laquon Treadwell-esque 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Scott underestimates everyone on the roster not named Josh Allen. 

Edwards had almost 600 yards receiving on 16 yards per reception last season.

Kumerow had 28 yards receiving and double caught both of those receptions and dropped 1 of the other 4 targets he failed to receive.

You and @First Round Bust are about as in touch with opposing players as all the people who thought Jason Elam was Kaiirs' cousin. 

When your 30 year old primary backup to both your starting X and Y is that irrelevant in the passing game it's reasonable to doubt whether he should be that guy.

• Agree 4

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/raiders-trade-bryan-edwards-to-wide-receiver-needy-falcons

Not sure this was an option for the Bills, but I’d have done this trade in a heart beat… really liked Edwards coming out of college, would be good depth and push Kumerow off the roster. 

Kumerow, like Taiwan Jones at RB, may be technically listed as a WR. But that's not his role on this team. He was re-signed this offseason for his role as a core player on Special Teams.

When it comes to pass catchers in this offense, we have Stefon Diggs, Gabriel Davis, Jamison Crowder, Khalil Shakir, Isaiah McKenzie, James Cook, Dawson Knox, O.J. Howard, and possibly Jalen Wydermyer. We're more than heavily armed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Kumerow, like Taiwan Jones at RB, may be technically listed as a WR. But that's not his role on this team. He was re-signed this offseason for his role as a core player on Special Teams.

When it comes to pass catchers in this offense, we have Stefon Diggs, Gabriel Davis, Jamison Crowder, Khalil Shakir, Isaiah McKenzie, James Cook, Dawson Knox, O.J. Howard, and possibly Jalen Wydermyer. We're more than heavily armed.

“pass catchers” is definitely going to become the most annoying term of the off-season. 

• Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Correct.  But the core special teams guys, ideally should be able to contribute at their primary positions

27 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

So, thought experiment -

How would you break those guys down in terms of their specific roles?

Specifically, who are the backups to Diggs and Davis?

29 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So, thought experiment -

just put OJ Howard on the outside and run 10 yard curl routes all the way down the field like I do in Madden. Easy peasy.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

“pass catchers” is definitely going to become the most annoying term of the off-season. 

When you add a Tight End in Howard who is basically an oversized WR and a RB in James Cook who was considered to be the top receiving RB in the Draft that will be used on Pass Downs, I don't know how to put it any other way.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Correct.  But the core special teams guys, ideally should be able to contribute at their primary positions

Like it or not, McDermott's philosophy has always been to utilize roster spots primarily for guys who are known commodities and excel on Special Teams. The year we didn't have Taiwan Jones, we had Senorise Perry. Guys who have high levels of experience and excel at Special Teams coverage are generally not top contributors on any team. If they were, they wouldn't be risked in that fashion.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So, thought experiment -

According to Beane, he envisions Khalil Shakir as the first man up on both the outside and inside. He takes the role of Gabe Davis last season, while Gabe Davis takes the role of Emmanuel Sanders, and Jamison Crowder takes the role of Cole Beasley.

Stefon Diggs and Isaiah McKenzie's roles stays the same. It's basically Sanders and Beasley out, Davis taking on a bigger role, and Crowder and Shakir in.

Crowder also has experience on the outside having done it in New York when needed. So maybe they'd move him over if something happened to Diggs or Davis and then put Shakir in the slot.

Add in O.J. Howard alongside Dawson Knox and James Cook's receiving abilities and we have more firepower than we did the season before. Which is a scary thought for the rest of the league 

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

So I am fine with Jake winning a job as gunner. I actually think it is Kumerow or Jones this year rather than both. 

But at the moment if Stef or Gabe were to go down for any serious length of time Kumerow is the next man up as an outside receiver. Yes they could play Shakir there some but even Beane admitted in his presser is "main position" is inside. 

On Edwards, I really liked him coming out too. Odd trade for the Raiders, I imagined him starting opposite Adams. 

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

So I am fine with Jake winning a job as gunner. I actually think it is Kumerow or Jones this year rather than both. 

But at the moment if Stef or Gabe were to go down for any serious length of time Kumerow is the next man up as an outside receiver. Yes they could play Shakir there some but even Beane admitted in his presser is "main position" is inside. 

On Edwards, I really liked him coming out too. Odd trade for the Raiders, I imagined him starting opposite Adams. 

As I stated in my previous post, Beane himself said on One Bills Drive that he envisions Shakir as the first man up at outside or inside.

It's the same situation as last season with the changes being Davis moves into Sanders spot. Crowder moves into Beasley's spot. Shakir moves into Davis' spot. Davis did that role since his Rookie season and I have faith in Shakir to be able to hold it down.

As I also stated in a previous post, Crowder (though undersized) has played outside in the past. So maybe they play with moving him to the Outside with Shakir in the Slot.

Either way, I don't see it as being as big of a thing as many posters do. It's not so different from the year before. And when you add in the extra receiving abilities of O.J. Howard from the TE position and James Cook from the RB position, I see us in better shape than we've probably ever been.

• Agree 1