Vontae Davis is back! (Sort of)

YoloinOhio

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Well what do ya know.... another long armed defensive back.... 👀

Not only was Trent McDuffie not their type. Even if he was the only DB in the entire draft he was still not their type.

Surprised Davis wasn't signed by anyone. High School corner converted to safety at Utah. Not the fastest but has some nice tape. Saw him as an UDFA but fully expected him signed in that first wave of FA. 

Trent wasn't their type in one respect.

They have at various times signed many people who for various reasons were not their type in one or more respects. Elam is an example, as the Bills have a strong tendency to pick only CBs who are excellent tacklers, and Elam has some issues there. They are willing to break tendencies when the overall package makes it worthwhile.

So yeah, in terms of arm length, McDuffie was not their type. They may very well have been very interested in signing him regardless.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Disagree 1

I looked up his pro day results.  He might be a good kid with long arms, but with a 40 time of 4.85 he's going to have a hard time sticking as a defensive back. I know sometimes I over estimate the importance of speed sometimes, but he's competing against guys that have times 3 tenths better.  That's a lot when you're trying to cover the likes of Tyreek Hill.

14 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Just need a clip of him telling Tre "I'm just getting started old Bull" in a really deep voice and it should negate any curse that event put on the team.

This reminded me of a scene from White Men Can't Jump "Raymond is that you? Nah nah this ain't Raymond nah"

4 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

I looked up his pro day results.  He might be a good kid with long arms, but with a 40 time of 4.85 he's going to have a hard time sticking as a defensive back. I know sometimes I over estimate the importance of speed sometimes, but he's competing against guys that have times 3 tenths better.  That's a lot when you're trying to cover the likes of Tyreek Hill.

It is why Utah moved him inside to safety. He is a very long shot here and a long shot anywhere hence being a UDFA..... I am just surprised he didn't actually get signed by anyone in the first phase of UDFA signings after the draft. I wouldn't say I watched a lot of him but he flashed a few times in the Devin Lloyd tape I was evaluating. He was a nice player in college.

12 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

And when you might be in the situation of having to react and not anticipate, needing to make up ground from behind...which a defender needs to do! 

Yeah, you just can't fake speed, and if you don't have a lot of it, you have no place on a modern NFL football field!

13 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

According to my calculations, his arms would have to be 74.375" long in order to makeup the difference between his 40 time and that of a CB who runs a 4.5.

• Haha (+1) 3

On 5/13/2022 at 12:19 PM, Warcodered said:

Just need a clip of him telling Tre "I'm just getting started old Bull" in a really deep voice and it should negate any curse that event put on the team.

after watching that makes me wonder if Vonte had mental health issues ??

On 5/13/2022 at 12:28 PM, RoyBatty is alive said:

Vonte Davis, not Vontae Davis

Potato  , patahhto

On 5/13/2022 at 1:57 PM, GunnerBill said:

Well what do ya know.... another long armed defensive back.... 👀

Not only was Trent McDuffie not their type. Even if he was the only DB in the entire draft he was still not their type.

Surprised Davis wasn't signed by anyone. High School corner converted to safety at Utah. Not the fastest but has some nice tape. Saw him as an UDFA but fully expected him signed in that first wave of FA. 

So all the rumors of we wanted McDuffie were false ? Also how is he not our type ?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.