NFL Schedule Makers Gave Bills a Big Advantage

Einstein

4 hours ago, MPL said:

First, the league amends the overtime rules and now they give the Bills a 13-day rest differential? It's almost like even the league wants the Bills to win the Super Bowl. What a time to be alive. 

Let's hope the referees get that memo.

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Are you saying we play in KC next season too?  So at least 4 straight years?  Has that ever happened before?  There should be checks in place for this so that it doesnt happen.  

The Bills played the Chiefs in EIGHT straight years, from 2008-2015.

https://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/buffalo-bills/teamvsteam?opp=16

The system is the system, and it's designed to be as hands-off as possible to avoid complaints and to attempt to be fair.  Building in checks that changed the results of the system would just cause incredible arguments.

Edited by Utah John

6 minutes ago, Utah John said:

The Bills played the Chiefs in EIGHT straight years, from 2008-2015.

https://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/buffalo-bills/teamvsteam?opp=16

The system is the system, and it's designed to be as hands-off as possible to avoid complaints and to attempt to be fair.  Building in checks that changed the results of the system would just cause incredible arguments.

I meant IN KC, not just against KC.  It is not fair for one team to year after year play away vs the same team.

• Eyeroll 2

5 hours ago, Einstein said:

The 2022 NFL schedule has some good news for the Bills.

Buffalo has a +13-day net rest differential on its 2022 schedule, according to Seth Walder of ESPN. That’s the most favorable rest differential in the NFL.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/05/13/nfl-schedule-makers-gave-bills-a-key-advantage/

I recognize the importance of rest as much as the next guy, but this is a killer schedule.  We all remember the Bills from the last few weeks of last season as this incredible powerhouse, but they just put it all together at the right time.  There were stretches last year when the Bills were good to very good, not overpowering.  If they have key injuries or if losing Daboll hurts more than we think, this could be rough.  It's not inconceivable they're 1-6 after the first 7 games, with potential losses to the Rams, Titans, Dolphins, Ravens, Chiefs, and Packers.  And the one win I'm counting in is Pittsburgh, who beat us last year.  

47 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes we play there next season but no, not four straight years - three straight years. We only played in KC in 2020 in the playoffs. The regular season game was at home.

I get how this all happened but it doesnt seem very fair to me.

Edited by Scott7975

57 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

It is one of the oddities of the scheduling system I agree. And it can be unfair. If two teams are similar level for 6 seasons like you would expect Buffalo and KC to be it can even out. But imagine you were the Pats playing away three years in a row to Manning's Broncos (not sure they did but for argument's sake) then Manning retires and you get your home games against a couple of bang average AFCW winners before the Chiefs appear on the scene.... it doesn't quite even out in that scenario. 

Just goes to show, bad teams cry about a bad schedule (we all did) and the NFL caters to good teams regardless of who they are.

Patriots fans are in for a rough ride, something tells me their "don't leave the game in the refs hands" attitude will be fleeting this year and years to come.

The Bills need to cash in this year though.

😝 😆 😂 

The New England Patriots' path back to the postseason ain't gonna be easy.

For starters, the Patriots will face some tough opponents in 2022:

They have the NFL's fourth-toughest schedule based on the projected win totals of their opponents and end their season with a brutal six-game stretch that includes matchups with the Buffalo Bills (twice), Arizona Cardinals, Las Vegas Raiders and Cincinnati Bengals.

https://sports.yahoo.com/patriots-2022-schedule-most-demanding-183500531.html

7 hours ago, unbillievable said:

The league cares more about profits.

There is probably some analyst saying that bad teams should have early season home games while good teams can push those to the end.

Except for some bad Florida teams which are never pressured to get domes best weather IS in December.

8 hours ago, Just Jack said:

I could only find these three times their opponent had a longer rest...

Week 3 - Chargers played on Thursday Week 2

Week 6 - Colts played on Thursday of Week 5

Week 13 - Lions played on Thursday (Thanksgiving) of Week 12

I read it on CBS Sports early this morning, but the article has been edited to remove this point that I was referencing.  It is clearly not true that they have four straight weeks against teams coming off byes, like I said earlier today. 

Thanks for fact-checking. 

18 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

14 straight weeks of games through the Conference Championship after our Bye week is NOT an advantage in any sense.

The way the Bills play coming off a bye week, I would say it is.  If we can get through the opening gauntlet we are sitting pretty the second half of the year. IMO the schedule looks favorable since we play all of the playoff teams in the first half of the season before they start to gel.  

Edited by TheWeatherMan
  • Like (+1) 1

Cue the yearly gripes of the schedule.  It’s a predetermined and schedule, and just the way it fell.  As far as the late divisional games or when is the bye, it’s going to hit sometime.  The thanksgiving game is a mini bye post and as far as a short week, it is Detroit.

Its also advantageous to have that extra time between the Rams, and the Titans. The Titans have been a thorn for two years.

I see the positives states in the article and there are just so many variables going into putting together an NFL schedule for the league, there will always be positives and negatives.  Just about every fan base has a segment of them griping about their schedule.  It’s somewhat myopic as if the schedule makers are trying to figure out how to screw with the Bills.

You never hear McBeane complaining about it, and they don’t encourage their players to complain.

To the OP, thank you for sharing that article.  That was very thoughtful.

Rams will be tough 

How tough? Are 🐏 worried? I am.  

Tennessee — Mind games galore and mandatory practices have not started yet 

Tanny feeling the specter over his shoulder.   

MNF fever Home Opener in Buffalo 

W

At Miami — bwahahaha W

At Ravens — this won’t be a Peterman game repeat like the last game I attended there. W

Steelers at Buffalo.  Will the rookie be playing by then?  W

KC — 3rd conservative regular season trip to KC.  L, W and W

20 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

If you truly “get” how this all happened, you should realize that your “fairness” comment makes no sense.  There is literally no human element to which home and away opponents a team has each season and all teams are treated equally.  Anomalies happen.  Get over it.

• Eyeroll 2

10 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

The way the Bills play coming off a bye week, I would say it is.  If we can get through the opening gauntlet we are sitting pretty the second half of the year. IMO the schedule looks favorable since we play all of the playoff teams in the first half of the season before they start to gel.  

And the same can be said for Bills that they face playoff teams before they start to gel after all of the cuts to give certain players raises.

• Eyeroll 1

On 5/13/2022 at 9:13 AM, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Did they miss quote that?  

Did they mean the Pats?  

Oh, wait, what was that you say?

Humpty Dumpty fell and none of the king’s horses 🐎 are around?

Its nice to be on top!  

Best part of this schedule is a plus 13 rest days. 2 best teams in this metric last season? Rams & Bengles.

The Stars have aligned!

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Like (+1) 1

On 5/13/2022 at 7:41 PM, Scott7975 said:

I meant IN KC, not just against KC.  It is not fair for one team to year after year play away vs the same team.

The most it can happen against a non divisional rival is 3 years. And I agree... it is the least fair part of the schedule except the 17th game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.