Report: Jerry Jeudy arrested UPDATE: Charges Dropped

Big Blitz

8 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

If ever there were a reason to call the cops... 🙃

People must be really bored to continue with these toxic relationships.  

Mother of his child or not, this is the type of situation that could cost him his career one day.  I hope they both realize that and make better choices.

He has 3 phones.

Obviously he isnt making good choices.

On 5/13/2022 at 11:53 AM, Gugny said:

What he did was a dick move, but I can't see how that results in an arrest.

I see what you are saying but it would seem like a valid arrest.

Depending on how the formula got into the car, and the length of time it was there a ( probably weak) case could be made for Reckless Endangerment of a Child. Perhaps even a charge of Petit Larceny? A stretch but not impossible.

If sounds to me (without being there) that this might not have resulted in an arrest were it not a domestic. Most jurisdictions allow very little wiggle room for police officers on domestic cases. They actually want arrests in order to not be held responsible for further violence and successfully sued. The NYPD for many years was thrilled by domestic arrests, to the point that they didn't care (within some sense of reasonability) how much overtime a cop would make on one of these, even if it was pensionable. Offficers are even allowed, if not ordered to make an arrest if the complainant refuses to press charges in many instances.

I don't have a crystal ball and I was not there, but I suspect the charges will be dropped against Jeudy and the complainant will ask the judge to do so. He will spend a few bucks for a lawyer and maybe, a temporary order of protection will be issued against him but probably not. Being a defense attorney on this case would be a dream job!!!

Jmo.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I see what you are saying but it would seem like a valid arrest.

Depending on how the formula got into the car, and the length of time it was there a ( probably weak) case could be made for Reckless Endangerment of a Child. Perhaps even a charge of Petit Larceny? A stretch but not impossible.

If sounds to me (without being there) that this might not have resulted in an arrest were it was not a domestic. Most jurisdictions allow very little wiggle room for police officers on domestic cases. They actually want arrests in order to not be held responsible for further violence and successfully sued,.The NYPD for many years was thrilled by domestic arrests, to the point that they didn't care (within some sense of reasonability) how much overtime a cop would make on one of these, even if it was pensionable. Offficers are even allowed, if not ordered to make an arrest if the complainant refuses to press charges in many instances.

I don't have a crystal ball and I was not there, but I suspect the charges will be dropped against Jeudy and the complainant will ask the judge to do so. He will spend a few bucks for a lawyer and maybe, a temporary order of protection will be issued against him but probably not. Being a defense attorney on this case would be a dream job!!!

Jmo.

What would be your legal take if he was a Bulldog Bill?!?!?!?! Life sentence?

• Haha (+1) 1

On 5/13/2022 at 8:09 AM, unbillievable said:

Locked the Baby formula in the car during a national baby formula shortage.

And her wallet.  Don't forget the wallet.

22 hours ago, Gugny said:

What he did was a dick move, but I can't see how that results in an arrest.

Really?  WTF do you think should have happened?

"Oh, OK, Mr Jeudy, give the lady her wallet and the car seat and the baby formula for your child back, and I'm sure nothing else bad will happen here"

That's the attitude that in the past resulted in DV callbacks.

29 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And her wallet.  Don't forget the wallet.

Really?  WTF do you think should have happened?

"Oh, OK, Mr Jeudy, give the lady her wallet and the car seat and the baby formula for your child back, and I'm sure nothing else bad will happen here"

That's the attitude that in the past resulted in DV callbacks.

Well, I'm not sure if Jeudy and his girlfriend have any kind of domestic violence past, so I can't speak to it.

And further downstream, I agreed with Levi that he was likely arrested because the cops asked him to unlock the car/give her her stuff, but he refused.  In which case - yes, I agree that an arrest would be warranted.

But if he was asked to return the stuff and complied, I'd see no reason to arrest him.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Well, I'm not sure if Jeudy and his girlfriend have any kind of domestic violence past, so I can't speak to it.

And further downstream, I agreed with Levi that he was likely arrested because the cops asked him to unlock the car/give her her stuff, but he refused.  In which case - yes, I agree that an arrest would be warranted.

But if he was asked to return the stuff and complied, I'd see no reason to arrest him.

Either what he did was against the law or it was not.  Cops should not be empowered to make up their own laws and arrest peple

for not following the directions.  

This seems to be a factual account

https://denvergazette.com/sports/broncos-wide-receiver-jerry-jeudy-arrested-in-arapahoe-county/article_62f7f893-cf1e-574a-ba51-497e48b3e5d1.html

"Jeudy's girlfriend, with whom he shares a child, requested help getting back her wallet and items for their baby, including formula and medical paperwork, that Jeudy had put in his car and wouldn't let her access, according to the probable cause statement. She was trying to go to Virginia but couldn't without her wallet and items for their baby, she said. 

She told Caines "things got crazy" between her and Jeudy Wednesday night but didn't elaborate, according to the statement. She said she didn't want Jeudy to get in trouble and just wanted her things back so she could leave.  The probable cause statement said Jeudy took the items in retaliation for his girlfriend taking one of his phones. She said Jeudy has "jealousy issues," and hides her phone from him as a result.

Around 3:15 p.m. Thursday, a spokesperson for the sheriff's department said Jeudy had not yet been formally charged. Brown said Jeudy's potential punishment could involve a fine and "small jail time." 

"When it comes to the severity of charges this is a very low-level misdemeanor but we take all cases of domestic violence seriously," Brown said. "It's important to make sure the victims' voices are heard in these specific situations."  "

27 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Either what he did was against the law or it was not.  Cops should not be empowered to make up their own laws and arrest peple

for not following the directions.  

If you take my wallet and lock it in your car and refuse to give it back such that I call the police to intervene and return my wallet, I think you've committed theft whether or not you unlock the car and return the property when the police catch you in the act of having taken my property and locked it away from me.

I may not press charges once I receive my wallet and its contents back, but that's a separate issue from whether or not you've committed a crime.

I'm not a LEO or a lawyer, but framing this as "cops should not be empowered to make up their own laws and arrest people" seems bizarro-world.

13 minutes ago, Gugny said:

When the girlfriend says "he has jealousy issues so I hide my phone from him", I think it can reasonably be inferred that there's some kind of domestic abuse dynamic in the relationship whether or not it's come to legal attention before.

"Things got crazy between us Wednesday night" but wouldn't elaborate probably means cops talked to some neighbors who said they heard some form of ruckus.

13 minutes ago, Gugny said:

This is a movie the LEO have likely seen before.

The plot goes something like:

1. One of the two domestic partners is planning to leave - not just the relationship, the state.

2. There is a noisy dispute which neighbors hear, but police are not called (smart money bets it has something to do with the plan to leave)

3. It escalates: one partner withholds necessary items the other partner needs in order to carry out the plan - personal identification, credit cards, cash, medical documents, baby supplies, car seat

4. Cops arrive: "oh, misunderstanding, here you go officer!"

5. Officers leave taking no action, partner who committed abuse by taking/witholding the property feels emboldened, nothing is settled

6. Situation escalates again.  Sometimes this means bruised and bloody photos from the ER.

7. Citizens are all "the cops were there this morning, why didn't they do something before this happened? useless."

It's in everybody's interest, including the cops and Jeudy's, for there to be a "cooling off period" where the two are physically separated once the situation has escalated to TOPS (taking other people's stuff)

This way, girlfriend leaves as she planned, doesn't want to press charges now that she got her stuff back and hit the road, Jeudy and his lawyers work out some kind of settlement probably involving domestic abuse counseling (which may or may not help him in his future life) and probation after which record is erased.

Big Nothingburger.

24 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This seems to be a factual account

https://denvergazette.com/sports/broncos-wide-receiver-jerry-jeudy-arrested-in-arapahoe-county/article_62f7f893-cf1e-574a-ba51-497e48b3e5d1.html

Jeudy's girlfriend, with whom he shares a child, requested help getting back her wallet and items for their baby, including formula and medical paperwork, that Jeudy had put in his car and wouldn't let her access, according to the probable cause statement. She was trying to go to Virginia but couldn't without her wallet and items for their baby, she said. 

She told Caines "things got crazy" between her and Jeudy Wednesday night but didn't elaborate, according to the statement. She said she didn't want Jeudy to get in trouble and just wanted her things back so she could leave.  The probable cause statement said Jeudy took the items in retaliation for his girlfriend taking one of his phones. She said Jeudy has "jealousy issues," and hides her phone from him as a result.

Around 3:15 p.m. Thursday, a spokesperson for the sheriff's department said Jeudy had not yet been formally charged. Brown said Jeudy's potential punishment could involve a fine and "small jail time." 

"When it comes to the severity of charges this is a very low-level misdemeanor but we take all cases of domestic violence seriously," Brown said. "It's important to make sure the victims' voices are heard in these specific situations." 

If you take my stuff and lock it in your car and refuse to give it back such that I call the police to intervene and return my property, I think you've committed theft whether or not you unlock the car and return the property when the police catch you in the act of having taken my property and locked it away from me.

I may not press charges once I receive the property back undamaged, but that's a separate issue from whether or not you've committed a crime.

I'm not a LEO or a lawyer, but framing this as "cops should not be empowered to make up their own laws and arrest people" seems bizarro-world.

This seems like a situation most if not all relationships end up in at one time or another… 2 idiots that refused to understand when they should call it a day and in this case, return her items before she called the police.

I’ve been married 30 years, I was refusing to give my wife here phone back once during a disagreement  and my son was like, “give her the phone”, I quickly handed her property ba k as my son shook his head lol

5 minutes ago, julian said:

This seems like a situation most if not all relationships end up in at one time or another… 2 idiots that refused to understand when they should call it a day and in this case, return her items before she called the police.

I’ve been married 30 years, I was refusing to give my wife here phone back once during a disagreement  and my son was like, “give her the phone”, I quickly handed her property ba k as my son shook his head lol

I'm about to celebrate my 40th wedding anniversary next month.  We were together for 3 years prior to getting married.  I have never had a situation where one of us took the other's property and refused to return it or denied access to property during a disagreement.  That's not normal IMHO.

I have driven away and spent the evening with a friend on a couple of occasions to cool off.  Totally good idea.  I calmed down and went home and we talked it out.

I think part of the issue is that a lot of people have totally ***** models for what a decent adult relationship looks like.

But yeah, two idiots with ***** models for how relationships work who escalated and didn't have your son around to write them a reality check.

• Like (+1) 2

Yeah, totally understand many people have many different life experiences. Congratulations on a long and apparently very loving and respectful marriage.

I was just adding some perspective, the details that are known here don’t necessarily point towards any domestic violence in any way. I wish I were able to say I’ve always made the right decision at the right time like you’ve been able to do.

I did watch my mom pour a jug of kool aid over my dads head when I was a kid lol, maybe a trip to a therapist is in my future haha

Edited by julian

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

When the girlfriend says "he has jealousy issues so I hide my phone from him", I think it can reasonably be inferred that there's some kind of domestic abuse dynamic in the relationship whether or not it's come to legal attention before.

"Things got crazy between us Wednesday night" but wouldn't elaborate probably means cops talked to some neighbors who said they heard some form of ruckus.

This is a movie the LEO have likely seen before.

The plot goes something like:

1. One of the two domestic partners is planning to leave - not just the relationship, the state.

2. There is a noisy dispute which neighbors hear, but police are not called (smart money bets it has something to do with the plan to leave)

3. It escalates: one partner withholds necessary items the other partner needs in order to carry out the plan - personal identification, credit cards, cash, medical documents, baby supplies, car seat

4. Cops arrive: "oh, misunderstanding, here you go officer!"

5. Officers leave taking no action, partner who committed abuse by taking/witholding the property feels emboldened, nothing is settled

6. Situation escalates again.  Sometimes this means bruised and bloody photos from the ER.

7. Citizens are all "the cops were there this morning, why didn't they do something before this happened? useless."

It's in everybody's interest, including the cops and Jeudy's, for there to be a "cooling off period" where the two are physically separated once the situation has escalated to TOPS (taking other people's stuff)

This way, girlfriend leaves as she planned, doesn't want to press charges now that she got her stuff back and hit the road, Jeudy and his lawyers work out some kind of settlement probably involving domestic abuse counseling (which may or may not help him in his future life) and probation after which record is erased.

Big Nothingburger.

Never knew that taking your girlfriends phone means an @#&-kicking was coming down the road.

54 minutes ago, julian said:

Yeah, totally understand many people have many different life experiences. Congratulations on a long and apparently very loving and respectful marriage.

I was just adding some perspective, the details that are known here don’t necessarily point towards any domestic violence in any way. I wish I were able to say I’ve always made the right decision at the right time like you’ve been able to do.

I did watch my mom pour a jug of kook aid over my dads head when I was a kid lol, maybe a trip to a therapist is in my future haha

Please to note that I didn't say "domestic violence", my phrase was "domestic abuse". 

PSA: domestic abuse takes many forms, men as well as women suffer from it, and violence is only one of those forms.

https://www.theduluthmodel.org/wheels/ (note some of these wheels are slanted towards M abuse of F)

I'm not saying it's definitive, but if someone tells me "my partner has jealousy issues, so I hide my phone from them" that sounds to me like a form of abuse where jealousy is used to justify actions that control who the partner sees and talks to and limits their outside contact.  If someone says "things got crazy between us last night" I'm wondering just what form the "crazy" took, and whether emotional abuse, economic abuse, intimidation, or threats were part of that "crazy" (note again: not saying it was one sided).  Then we get to the point where the police were called because he:

1) took her wallet and locked it in his car (economic abuse/controlling what she does)

2) used their child - took child's carseat, formula and medical records and locked them away from her in his car (again, controlling what she does)

When you add that to the "jealousy issues" and the "got crazy between us last night" statements, that's what I see as pointers towards domestic abuse.  If a co-worker said stuff like that to me, I would try to find an opening to discretely take them apart and provide information about domestic abuse resources in our community.

I'm not saying if the police officers gave the items back to her, said "we're good now, right?" and left, the situation would have escalated to physical violence (sometimes yes, sometimes no) but I think it would be naive to assume she would have put the stuff in her car and Jeudy would have kissed their kid and waved politely while she drove off. 

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The probable cause statement said Jeudy took the items in retaliation for his girlfriend taking one of his phones. She said Jeudy has "jealousy issues," and hides her phone from him as a result.

The above, I'm fairly certain, is projection.  SHE took one of his phones, but HE is the jealous one?  🤨

Edited by Chicken Boo

3 hours ago, FireChans said:

What would be your legal take if he was a Bulldog Bill?!?!?!?! Life sentence?

No, not at all. I don't hate UGA. Alabama was defeated by a better team. We were lucky to beat them in the SEC Title Game. And btw I am NOT making excuses for the injuries either. 

It might however be different this season. ;) 

On 5/12/2022 at 10:24 PM, JoPoy88 said:

Gee I didn’t know crime was limited to those three actions. 

And check your definition of “clickbait” - he was in fact arrested. There’s nothing false or misleading about reporting that fact. 

Relatively minor on the spectrum of crime, but taking a baby’s car seat is low.

Try going anywhere with a Baby that young without a car seat. seriously

You don't have grandkids do you ?
without the car seat you are stranded/ It would be terribly unsafe and quite illegal ! !

15 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

The probable cause statement said Jeudy took the items in retaliation for his girlfriend taking one of his phones. She said Jeudy has "jealousy issues," and hides her phone from him as a result.

The above, I'm fairly certain, is projection.  SHE took one of his phones, but HE is the jealous one?  🤨

sounds like he was paying for "her" phone. If so that's control issues.
and most of this appears like aggressive manipulation of a partner. and yes to Hapless/ point . that's absolutely emotional abuse.

Shame these things happen to folks who cannot help themselves for whatever reasons.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.