Report: Jerry Jeudy arrested UPDATE: Charges Dropped

Big Blitz

38 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Please to note that I didn't say "domestic violence", my phrase was "domestic abuse". 

PSA: domestic abuse takes many forms, men as well as women suffer from it, and violence is only one of those forms.

https://www.theduluthmodel.org/wheels/ (note some of these wheels are slanted towards M abuse of F)

I'm not saying it's definitive, but if someone tells me "my partner has jealousy issues, so I hide my phone from them" that sounds to me like a form of abuse where jealousy is used to justify actions that control who the partner sees and talks to and limits their outside contact.  If someone says "things got crazy between us last night" I'm wondering just what form the "crazy" took, and whether emotional abuse, economic abuse, intimidation, or threats were part of that "crazy" (note again: not saying it was one sided).  Then we get to the point where the police were called because he:

1) took her wallet and locked it in his car (economic abuse/controlling what she does)

2) used their child - took child's carseat, formula and medical records and locked them away from her in his car (again, controlling what she does)

When you add that to the "jealousy issues" and the "got crazy between us last night" statements, that's what I see as pointers towards domestic abuse.  If a co-worker said stuff like that to me, I would try to find an opening to discretely take them apart and provide information about domestic abuse resources in our community.

I'm not saying if the police officers gave the items back to her, said "we're good now, right?" and left, the situation would have escalated to physical violence (sometimes yes, sometimes no) but I think it would be naive to assume she would have put the stuff in her car and Jeudy would have kissed their kid and waved politely while she drove off. 

Totally valid and I understand where you’re coming from, I guess all I’m saying is relationships are complex and to make assumptions based of vague and limited information may not be a great idea.

You said you didn’t believe the taking of a partner’s property to be “normal” and to you it most certainly isn’t, but I can also say in my 30 years of marriage I’ve never been so angry that I needed to leave our home. So in that sense, I could view that as not “normal” IMHO based on my experiences.

Sounds like two people who need to take stock and possibly move on or grow up.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This seems to be a factual account

https://denvergazette.com/sports/broncos-wide-receiver-jerry-jeudy-arrested-in-arapahoe-county/article_62f7f893-cf1e-574a-ba51-497e48b3e5d1.html

"Jeudy's girlfriend, with whom he shares a child, requested help getting back her wallet and items for their baby, including formula and medical paperwork, that Jeudy had put in his car and wouldn't let her access, according to the probable cause statement. She was trying to go to Virginia but couldn't without her wallet and items for their baby, she said. 

She told Caines "things got crazy" between her and Jeudy Wednesday night but didn't elaborate, according to the statement. She said she didn't want Jeudy to get in trouble and just wanted her things back so she could leave.  The probable cause statement said Jeudy took the items in retaliation for his girlfriend taking one of his phones. She said Jeudy has "jealousy issues," and hides her phone from him as a result.

Around 3:15 p.m. Thursday, a spokesperson for the sheriff's department said Jeudy had not yet been formally charged. Brown said Jeudy's potential punishment could involve a fine and "small jail time." 

"When it comes to the severity of charges this is a very low-level misdemeanor but we take all cases of domestic violence seriously," Brown said. "It's important to make sure the victims' voices are heard in these specific situations."  "

If you take my wallet and lock it in your car and refuse to give it back such that I call the police to intervene and return my wallet, I think you've committed theft whether or not you unlock the car and return the property when the police catch you in the act of having taken my property and locked it away from me.

I may not press charges once I receive my wallet and its contents back, but that's a separate issue from whether or not you've committed a crime.

I'm not a LEO or a lawyer, but framing this as "cops should not be empowered to make up their own laws and arrest people" seems bizarro-world.

you miss the point. 

4 hours ago, Chaos said:

Either what he did was against the law or it was not.  Cops should not be empowered to make up their own laws and arrest peple

for not following the directions.  

In theory I have sympathy with this view as a lawmaker. But I have never been a law enforcer and the decisions police have to make in the moment if a guy is not complying are operational and for them. But these charges are not sticking. 

5 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

Try going anywhere with a Baby that young without a car seat. seriously

You don't have grandkids do you ?
without the car seat you are stranded/ It would be terribly unsafe and quite illegal ! !

Bud when I said it was “low” I meant it’s a dirty, scummy thing to do, not low as in minor. I agree with you.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/13/2022 at 6:06 AM, YoloinOhio said:

Uhh...arrested for this? There has to be more to it. The DA would have to be like "you can't be serious" if the police presented this to them to prosecute.

6 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Uhh...arrested for this? There has to be more to it. The DA would have to be like "you can't be serious" if the police presented this to them to prosecute.

Which is why the charges will go nowhere. As others have said one would imagine it was a tactical arrest by police who had tried and failed to diffuse the situation in others ways first. 

32 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Which is why the charges will go nowhere. As others have said one would imagine it was a tactical arrest by police who had tried and failed to diffuse the situation in others ways first. 

Or a bit more likely, a procedural arrest in line with department policy.

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

What sort of policy would that be though?

In domestic cases, people are WAY more likely to get arrested than say 2 men getting into a fight in a bar. In the latter, if both parties declined to press charges, the officers would usually be able to take a report and leave (barring serious physical injury or use of a weapon which would upgrade an assault to a felony). 

WRT domestic incidents, most departments require arrests. They feel as if they will be less likely to get sued. In NYC, an arrest can be made if the officers feel that future violence is likely.  A person can go on a death threat. Will the charge stick? Probably not but a T.O.P. might be issued at arraignment.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

In domestic cases, people are WAY more likely to get arrested than say 2 men getting into a fight in a bar. In the latter, if both parties declined to press charges, the officers would usually be able to take a report and leave (barring serious physical injury or use of a weapon which would upgrade an assault to a felony). 

WRT domestic incidents, most departments require arrests. They feel as if they will be less likely to get sued. In NYC, an arrest can be made if the officers feel that future violence is likely.  A person can go on a death threat. Will the charge stick? Probably not but a T.O.P. might be issued at arraignment.

I do understand that from an operational perspective and I get a cautious approach when there is suspicion of any sort of domestic abuse.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Oh so they do the whole Minority Report thing huh? Guess that isn't as far fetched as it seemed 

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Basically arrest someone for what they haven't done yet because they know they will commit the crime in the future.

Only in domestic cases. The threat of lawsuits scares the crap out of departments. It looks really bad if police respond, leave, and a woman gets beaten or murdered. 

Things were much different before the OJ case.

2 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Only in domestic cases. The threat of lawsuits scares the crap out of departments. It looks really bad if police respond, leave, and a woman gets beaten or murdered. 

Things were much different before the OJ case.

I mean doesn't it look far worse if they go question a suspect in a murder and then he goes out and kills more people? That happens pretty regularly tho.

On 5/12/2022 at 4:38 PM, yall said:

I know someone close with Goodwill (with him being from Jamestown it's probably not uncommon).

At any rate, he mentioned to me that Goodwill once likened being commissioner to being a warden for 1500 inmates.

That would be true if he said 1500 + 32 inmates.

IMO an issue here is the term "Domestic VIOLENCE " added to the charge. That triggers certain legal procedures, as well as putting a (possibly incorrect) stigma on the accused.  If in fact there was no physical violence,  perhaps they should use "A Domestic Situation (or Component) enhancer".

I'm not suggesting the officers or DA did anything wrong,  but sticking a DV label on a non-violent offense makes things messy IMO. I feel the same way about the poor sap who takes a leak in the bushes only to be arrested as a sex offender because the bushes were in the vicinity of a school.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/15/2022 at 12:30 PM, Bill from NYC said:

I see your point but I'm just telling you how things are.

Googled it because it popped up today and I didn't already know - turns out Colorado is a mandatory DV arrest state, for misdemeanors and felonies.

Edited by LeviF

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.