(Pre Draft) Bills offered Panthers a trade for McCaffrey, Panthers declined

Dablitzkrieg

7 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I don't doubt we made a "due diligence" call on CMC. But I kind of question whether or not we made an offer. Seems kind of like a game of telephone to me. There's been reports over the past couple days we called. I think outlets like Sirius XM are taking that story and running with it that we made an offer.

Even if we did, I'm sure it wasn't much. Probably a 3rd while wanting them to take on some salary of his large contract. The fact that we were in on J.D. McKissic as quickly as we were and then transitioned to James Cook says to me that the talks weren't all that serious.

Case in point, this is an article saying we made an offer. But the sources they're quoting to form the article all just said we called on him. Calling about a player doesn't denote a formal offer.

Brother, they weren't calling to see if he was available so they could not trade for him lol

30 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Brother, they weren't calling to see if he was available so they could not trade for him lol

Yes, but you don't call someone up and say "I'll give you this for CMC" as soon as they pick up the phone. Especially with a team that Beane has such a personal relationship with. It's more likely they called to gauge what their interest was, if any, in moving him and what their asking price was if they were. Simply calling about a player doesn't mean they made a formal trade offer.

If they were interested in moving him and the price was anything close, they'd have gotten it done. My guess is they were not interested in moving him or that their asking price wasn't close to what we would have been willing to offer. In which case, I doubt they even bothered to discuss it further than the "due diligence" they did in making the call.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Yes, but you don't call someone up and say "I'll give you this for CMC" as soon as they pick up the phone. Especially with a team that Beane has such a personal relationship with. It's more likely they called to gauge what their interest was, if any, in moving him and what their asking price was if they were. Simply calling about a player doesn't mean they made a formal trade offer.

If they were interested in moving him and the price was anything close, they'd have gotten it done. My guess is they were not interested in moving him or that their asking price wasn't close to what we would have been willing to offer. In which case, I doubt they even bothered to discuss it further than the "due diligence" they did in making the call.

If I had to guess Beane would've been thinking along the lines of 4th or 5th rder which was proli cool, but the money was a sticking point.

Car looks bad getting a day 3 pick andddd paying half the guys salary still. When you're already on the super hot seat, "admitting" defeat like that on CMC makes you look worse than just keeping him. 

A GM like that can't make that trade. A first year GM would get leeway to do something like that

• Agree 2

The thing is he’s an incredible receiver. He’s had a 1000 yard season with a terrible QB. If you looked at him as a receiver only at 8 per year and compare him to Kirk who never had 1000 at 21 per year then consider his rb flex too, that’s a steal.

That said I hope that Cook proves to be what everyone here is convinced he is, and then it’s one less area to worry about.

Edited by Seoulofstone
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

And Josh Allen was never accurate in college.  Your point?  Bills scouts know to evaluate skills over stat lines.

Oh yeah? I suppose that’s why they have had to draft a RB for 3 straight years, cause they’ve all been studs. 

13 hours ago, msw2112 said:

I am on board with the Cook pick and think and hope he'll be a great addition to the team, and a cost-controlled one at that.  But to say that he's better than a healthy Christian McCaffery, at this point, when the guy was not a starter in college and hasn't played an NFL snap, is a bit much.   I agree that McCaffery's injury history and salary would be concerns for the Bills (or any team).  That said, I do think that guys get injured more often and stay injured longer on bad teams.  Guys are more likely to play banged up if their team is in contention and has something play for.  They don't rush back on the field so quickly when their team has no hope of even making the playoffs.  By that theory, I think that if the Bills had acquired McCaffery, he would have missed far less time than he did in Carolina.

Wow, there is somebody with common sense out there.  A guy who didn’t start in college is suddenly better than an All-Pro, makes sense, right?   Well said.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Seoulofstone said:

Every player is an injury risk. CMC missed 2 seasons after 4 seasons of continuous health. His workload is insane-on the level of Derrick Henry, while also running routes and occasionally returns. Used properly by a creative  OC I think it would be different.

High workload likely contributed to his utter lack of availability the last 2 years.  If it will magically get better we should go get Earl Campbell.  Dudes a beast.

• Eyeroll 1

8 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Obviously our offer was not too great or they would have jumped on it and rebuilt. I want CMC, I just don't want to pay what they clearly want. 

Couldn't agree more. CMC is the ultimate game breaker. Can you imagine him in the Bills offense? I think he would virtually make the Bills offense unstoppable. What would you be saying if he got traded to the Bucs, KC, SD, Vegas, and other legit teams that can win a super bowl. I doubt you would be happy he went there. For me, it's not so much the injuries as it was the money. All I know is CMC in the Bills offense would have been awesome!

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, DCofNC said:

All without starting in college or the NFL.. oook

The good news about Cook. He wasn't a workhorse in college so his body doesnt have the beating on it that some of these guys do coming out.

The bad thing about Cook. He wasn't a workhorse in college so you have no idea what you are going to get. 

I see a lot of CJ Spiller in James Cook. If used correctly, could be a great addition. but don't expect a between the tackles back.

• Like (+1) 2

It’s not Madden.  The hard cap is just that a hard cap.  You can only convert so much $ to signing bonus for existing players and kicking the can down the road.  The cap is going up, but so is the salaries and specifically Allen, and Diggs, etc.

CMC is a great RB.  When healthy he is the most dynamic RB in the NFL up there with Kamara.  They dwarf Barkley and Zeke.  The problem is when you overwork a RB, they wear out.  That’s it.  It’s why smart teams rarely extend RB’s, vs. just get another cheap one in the draft.  So now we have cheap labor for another four years.  Moss hasn’t worked out.  Maybe they hold onto him again as cheap labor, but Cook and Singletary will be the bell cows.  No one IMO is comparing Cook to CMC.  I’m not.

We spent a ton on Von.  It was a good call by Beane.  We now have legitimate pressure up front for the best secondary as a unit in the league.  We also have Milano.  He’s a fantastic WILL LB.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Couldn't agree more. CMC is the ultimate game breaker. Can you imagine him in the Bills offense? I think he would virtually make the Bills offense u still able. It's kind of crazy people here a regular we didn't get him. What would you be saying if he got traded to the Bucs, KC, SD, Vegas, and other legit teams that can win a super bowl. I doubt you would be happy he went there. For me, it's not so much the injuries as it was the money. All I know is CMC in the Bills offense would have been awesome!

I agree but I think Cook might be an even better fit because he is gonna share time with Singletary and he is used to sharing the load, where as CMC would have to be our primary due to cost.

17 hours ago, Dopey said:

Too bad my ex-wife didn't turn me down.

Repeat after me:

I couldn't take it any longer, Lord I was crazed
And when the feeling came upon me like a tidal wave
Started swearing to my god and on my mother's grave
That I would love you to the end of time
I swore I would love you to the end of time!

So now I'm praying for the end of time
To hurry up and arrive
'Cause if I gotta spend another minute with you
I don't think that I can really survive
I'll never break my promise or forget my vow
But God only knows what I can do right now
I'm praying for the end of time
It's all that I can do
Praying for the end of time
So I can end my time with you!

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.