(Pre Draft) Bills offered Panthers a trade for McCaffrey, Panthers declined

Dablitzkrieg

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

You’d think they’d have learned by now to stay away from the Carolina connection 😅

I congratulate you, Scott, for your dedication and persistence. No matter what is posted anywhere on this forum we can count on you to take a massive 💩 on it. 

• Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

Also known as dynamic never.

1000 yards passing/receiving in the same season. Definitely not a dynamic player.

11 minutes ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

No way on earth would I take on McCaffrey's contract, especially not if I'm giving up assets for him.  

On closer inspection I think you will find he would have been incredibly  cheap. Most of the guaranteed money would have stayed with Carolina(and they could have afforded it) but that was likely the sticking point in the deal. It would have taken a bounty for them to eat the enormous cap hit.

I wouldn’t be shocked if this deal is revived after this season. In fact that will be my bold prediction for next offseason. After Bills win the super bowl and Carolina finally has a reset after another bad year they will eat the CMC contract and Bills will move on from Singletary.

Edited by Seoulofstone
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rocket94 said:

Injury risk at this stage of his career!

Every player is an injury risk. CMC missed 2 seasons after 4 seasons of continuous health. His workload is insane-on the level of Derrick Henry, while also running routes and occasionally returns. Used properly by a creative  OC I think it would be different.

Edited by Seoulofstone
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I don't care so much about us trying to raid the Panthers roster again as much as what we may have offered.

And if it was anything in the 1st/2nd round arena that probably would have been a huge mistake given McCaffrery's inability to stay healthy and on the field.

But a conditional mid round type of pick that could go higher if he stays on the field would have made sense and perhaps that's all beane dangled out there.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Seoulofstone said:

1000 yards passing/receiving in the same season. Definitely not a dynamic player.

On closer inspection I think you will find he would have been incredibly  cheap. Most of the guaranteed money would have stayed with Carolina(and they could have afforded it) but that was likely the sticking point in the deal. It would have taken a bounty for them to eat the enormous cap hit.

I wouldn’t be shocked if this deal is revived after this season. In fact that will be my bold prediction for next offseason. After Bills win the super bowl and Carolina finally has a reset after another bad year they will eat the CMC contract and Bills will move on from Singletary.

He would have been very cheap in year 1 for the Bills at about $1.2M, but then about $12M/year for the next 3.  So it seems like it would have been a short term play.  Two seasons at $6.6M AAV or even three at $8.4M AAV is reasonable if he stayed reasonably healthy.  Nothing significant hanging over the team’s head if they had to cut him either. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

I am on board with the Cook pick and think and hope he'll be a great addition to the team, and a cost-controlled one at that.  But to say that he's better than a healthy Christian McCaffery, at this point, when the guy was not a starter in college and hasn't played an NFL snap, is a bit much.   I agree that McCaffery's injury history and salary would be concerns for the Bills (or any team).  That said, I do think that guys get injured more often and stay injured longer on bad teams.  Guys are more likely to play banged up if their team is in contention and has something play for.  They don't rush back on the field so quickly when their team has no hope of even making the playoffs.  By that theory, I think that if the Bills had acquired McCaffery, he would have missed far less time than he did in Carolina.

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

I guess we want to run this play as no one can really cover it now…. A LB can cover Cook is my impression.

If you have this match up what a defense chooses to do to stop it should open up other things.

This offense, with Cook on the field, ought to be pretty similar to what we ran wih end we had the Thurmanator….

If the defense stays big we pass to Cook or whomever, if they try to matchup in the pass game, we run it to Cook. Let our OL have some fun.

It looks like KD wants to be even more matchup happy than Daboll…. And moreso, I think we want to use Allen as a runner less…

We’ll use him a blocker instead….

😃

Or when we want to go big- Two TE-Knox, Howard, Kumerow, Gabe, Cooks- mismatches galore.  Or we could go smash mouth and break the will of opposing Ds

First Mckissik , then CMC . They obviously wanted to add a duel threat RB. Cook obviously fills that role. Going to make this offense that much more dynamic.  This O might break all time records , when you look at what we added and how phenomenal they were vs NE and KC to end the season. Adding a legit pass catcher in Cook outta the backfield is going to be brutal for coaches to scheme against this O.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.