Breaking the Cycle - Elam Family Problems

DrDawkinstein

1 minute ago, krf139 said:

Where? All I heard was how great his bloodlines were with his father and uncle. 

I read about it somewhere …and it definitely wasn’t national media. Btw it wasn’t presented in s negative way since you know - it wasn’t him 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I read about it somewhere …and it definitely wasn’t national media. Btw it wasn’t presented in s negative way since you know - it wasn’t him 

It was never going to be in the national draft coverage that's essentially all about building these kids up as potential super stars.

3 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

It was never going to be in the national draft coverage that's essentially all about building these kids up as potential super stars.

And - again, it wasn’t him. Pretty unfair to make it a story. He mentioned it himself though in whatever articles I read. Just that he learned from their mistakes and understands the pitfalls of the nfl. 

• Agree 3

41 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I was aware of it because Kaiir himself talked about it. He said he was determined not to fall into those ways and that he learned from their mistakes. 

I know firsthand that it is possible to make the decision to not be the same as your predecessors. It’s the best motivator. 

Negative mentors are what I call them. Learned as much about what I didn't want to be from them as I did from those I wanted to emulate. Rooting for this kid.......

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, soflabillsfan1 said:

I was surprised when his uncle Matt flamed out with the Ravens. He was a playmaker at FL.  Their emotional leader and an all-American.  He goes to the perfect team in the Ravens and totally busts.  Head scratcher.

Did he have a notebook?! 

6 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I hear Beane say that it's good Kaiir has the help of his dad and uncle who have been through the transition to the pros before to help guide and support him along the way.

On the other hand, the Elam family seems to have a long history of trouble and I am hoping Kaiir can break that cycle. For what it's worth, the kid seems to have a good head on his shoulders, and I hope that Abram (dad) and Matt's (uncle) successes help everyone move onward and upward.

Sounds like they had a rough upbringing, and football has helped lift the family out of the cycle. I hope....

Dad:

Elam accepted a football scholarship from the University of Notre Dame. As a sophomore in 2002, a felony sexual battery conviction got him expelled from the school.

Uncle:

On February 26, 2017, Elam was arrested in Miami, Florida for possession of a 126.2 grams of marijuana and 3.1 grams of oxycodone. He was charged with one count of cannabis possession, one count of possession of cannabis with intent to sell or deliver, and one count of possession of a controlled substance. On June 26, 2017, the drug charges were dropped.

On May 22, 2017, Elam was arrested on battery and theft charges involving a dispute with his girlfriend over an iPhone. Delray Beach Police charged him with suspicion of grand theft and misdemeanor battery after confrontation and was booked in Palm Beach County Jail and had a bond set at $4,500. According to a police report, he went to his girlfriend's residence to pick up a vehicle and attempted to grab her iPhone from her hand after she refused to give him his money. During the process of grabbing the phone, the couple fell to the ground and continued to struggle over it. She then entered his vehicle and took his cell phone and Elam responded by leaving after she refused to return it. On June 21, 2017, the charges were dropped after the prosecutor said the accuser would not cooperate and they had insufficient evidence to proceed with the case.

Family:

Since 1987, three of Elam's siblings were shot to death. His older brother, Donald Runner, was fatally shot in 1987. His sister Christina, was killed in 1999. On May 9, 2008, his older brother Donald Elam was fatally shot; at age 14, Donald was once the youngest person ever indicted for murder in Palm Beach County, though he was later acquitted.

I'm not making any judgements on Kaiir or even the Elam family. I simply wasnt aware of all this stuff surrounding the Elams until I looked them up recently. It is definitely rough in the streets of south Florida. I hope they are out of that mess for good and Kaiir's generation in the family gets a fresh start.

I considered posting something like this but I figured I would let someone else take the flames for a change.........this is why I hadn't really given serious consideration to him being the Bills first round pick............I really thought his family drama was going to cause him to fall into round 2 of  the draft.

Kaiir really seems to have his stuff together though.    Not everybody is a chip off the old block wrt behavior and priorities.   I get the feeling that his old man held him to a pretty high standard and Abe himself seemed to be a quality guy and teammate once in the NFL.

Bobby Bonds was a great talent in MLB who wasted HOF talent with recreational drug abuse and mercurial behavior.   His son Barry was quite the opposite though........got every bit out of his potential...........and was never in trouble until he decided to join the juice parade because he wasn't getting his due.       

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, StHustle said:

SMH...really all I can say.

Yeah.....and I'm also sure some people immediately want to pull the race card when they hear something like this...........but it's just human nature to associate the bad deeds or chaos of  family members with that name.  

"Sins of the father".

I have an uncle who is an attorney (Notre Dame grad of course) and he and a bunch of his law school buddies stole a bunch of money from people who kinda' missed it.........and laundered it thru a bank one of them was a founding family member of.   And got away with it,  also of course.    As a result,  I had to deal with that being associated with my name and for quite a few years I had to deal with the irrational perception that I was associated with that kind of unethical behavior and it cost me some big coin and opportunities.      I didn't B word about it,  I just held myself to a much higher standard and restored the value of my last name.

That's how you handle it.  

Kaiir Elam has everything in front of him.   

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yeah, little point - when has a talented player EVER fallen in the draft because of troubles their FAMILY members have had?

Fallen because teams don't believe their talent will translate to the NFL - Check

Fallen because teams don't place the same value on their football and physical abilities that draft pundits place - Check

Fallen because THEY THEMSELVES have had some kind of legal trouble or medical issues - Check

Fallen because their family members, especially family members of a previous generation, got into trouble?

When has this even happened?

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I was aware of it because Kaiir himself talked about it. He said he was determined not to fall into those ways and that he learned from their mistakes. 

I know firsthand that it is possible to make the decision to not be the same as your predecessors. It’s the best motivator. 

You are a good man. This is a very poignant comment. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I hear Beane say that it's good Kaiir has the help of his dad and uncle who have been through the transition to the pros before to help guide and support him along the way.

On the other hand, the Elam family seems to have a long history of trouble and I am hoping Kaiir can break that cycle. For what it's worth, the kid seems to have a good head on his shoulders, and I hope that Abram (dad) and Matt's (uncle) successes help everyone move onward and upward.

Sounds like they had a rough upbringing, and football has helped lift the family out of the cycle. I hope....

Dad:

Elam accepted a football scholarship from the University of Notre Dame. As a sophomore in 2002, a felony sexual battery conviction got him expelled from the school.

Uncle:

On February 26, 2017, Elam was arrested in Miami, Florida for possession of a 126.2 grams of marijuana and 3.1 grams of oxycodone. He was charged with one count of cannabis possession, one count of possession of cannabis with intent to sell or deliver, and one count of possession of a controlled substance. On June 26, 2017, the drug charges were dropped.

On May 22, 2017, Elam was arrested on battery and theft charges involving a dispute with his girlfriend over an iPhone. Delray Beach Police charged him with suspicion of grand theft and misdemeanor battery after confrontation and was booked in Palm Beach County Jail and had a bond set at $4,500. According to a police report, he went to his girlfriend's residence to pick up a vehicle and attempted to grab her iPhone from her hand after she refused to give him his money. During the process of grabbing the phone, the couple fell to the ground and continued to struggle over it. She then entered his vehicle and took his cell phone and Elam responded by leaving after she refused to return it. On June 21, 2017, the charges were dropped after the prosecutor said the accuser would not cooperate and they had insufficient evidence to proceed with the case.

Family:

Since 1987, three of Elam's siblings were shot to death. His older brother, Donald Runner, was fatally shot in 1987. His sister Christina, was killed in 1999. On May 9, 2008, his older brother Donald Elam was fatally shot; at age 14, Donald was once the youngest person ever indicted for murder in Palm Beach County, though he was later acquitted.

I'm not making any judgements on Kaiir or even the Elam family. I simply wasnt aware of all this stuff surrounding the Elams until I looked them up recently. It is definitely rough in the streets of south Florida. I hope they are out of that mess for good and Kaiir's generation in the family gets a fresh start.

With that background, I go glass half full and hope he’s the guy to know the difference and does all the right things. 

I won’t judge you by your family, unless it’s how you overcame. THAT is always beautiful. 

I honestly didn’t need to know all of this about his family.  Not picking on the OP, but not a guy who cares about dirt.  He’s a hard worker, and has done well.  I’m sure all of you have a family member who is a knucklehead.  I know I do.  That doesn’t mean I’m a knucklehead.

I just don’t care.

Just an opinion, but I think ‘old family’ history is usually nowhere near as important as any pressures brought on by a current peer group.

Regardless of profession, if all of your running buddies are trouble, you’re probably being pulled along in the wrong direction too.

He’s in a good place. He’ll be fine.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.