Breaking the Cycle - Elam Family Problems

DrDawkinstein

I hear Beane say that it's good Kaiir has the help of his dad and uncle who have been through the transition to the pros before to help guide and support him along the way.

On the other hand, the Elam family seems to have a long history of trouble and I am hoping Kaiir can break that cycle. For what it's worth, the kid seems to have a good head on his shoulders, and I hope that Abram (dad) and Matt's (uncle) successes help everyone move onward and upward.

Sounds like they had a rough upbringing, and football has helped lift the family out of the cycle. I hope....

Dad:

Elam accepted a football scholarship from the University of Notre Dame. As a sophomore in 2002, a felony sexual battery conviction got him expelled from the school.

Uncle:

On February 26, 2017, Elam was arrested in Miami, Florida for possession of a 126.2 grams of marijuana and 3.1 grams of oxycodone. He was charged with one count of cannabis possession, one count of possession of cannabis with intent to sell or deliver, and one count of possession of a controlled substance. On June 26, 2017, the drug charges were dropped.

On May 22, 2017, Elam was arrested on battery and theft charges involving a dispute with his girlfriend over an iPhone. Delray Beach Police charged him with suspicion of grand theft and misdemeanor battery after confrontation and was booked in Palm Beach County Jail and had a bond set at $4,500. According to a police report, he went to his girlfriend's residence to pick up a vehicle and attempted to grab her iPhone from her hand after she refused to give him his money. During the process of grabbing the phone, the couple fell to the ground and continued to struggle over it. She then entered his vehicle and took his cell phone and Elam responded by leaving after she refused to return it. On June 21, 2017, the charges were dropped after the prosecutor said the accuser would not cooperate and they had insufficient evidence to proceed with the case.

Family:

Since 1987, three of Elam's siblings were shot to death. His older brother, Donald Runner, was fatally shot in 1987. His sister Christina, was killed in 1999. On May 9, 2008, his older brother Donald Elam was fatally shot; at age 14, Donald was once the youngest person ever indicted for murder in Palm Beach County, though he was later acquitted.

I'm not making any judgements on Kaiir or even the Elam family. I simply wasnt aware of all this stuff surrounding the Elams until I looked them up recently. It is definitely rough in the streets of south Florida. I hope they are out of that mess for good and Kaiir's generation in the family gets a fresh start.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 3

7 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

On May 22, 2017, Elam was arrested on battery and theft charges involving a dispute with his girlfriend over an iPhone. Delray Beach Police charged him with suspicion of grand theft and misdemeanor battery after confrontation and was booked in Palm Beach County Jail and had a bond set at $4,500. According to a police report, he went to his girlfriend's residence to pick up a vehicle and attempted to grab her iPhone from her hand after she refused to give him his money. During the process of grabbing the phone, the couple fell to the ground and continued to struggle over it. She then entered his vehicle and took his cell phone and Elam responded by leaving after she refused to return it. On June 21, 2017, the charges were dropped after the prosecutor said the accuser would not cooperate and they had insufficient evidence to proceed with the case.

So, he stole her phone and she stole his...was she also being charged?

7 minutes ago, Gregthekeg said:

Maybe that's why he is such a hard worker, wants to stay as far away from that as possible. 

For what it's worth, Dad seemed to turn it around after being kicked out of Notre Dame.

"He attended Palm Beach Community College and worked at a dentist's office. He enrolled at Kent State University in 2004, but because he initially did not receive a scholarship, the Riviera Beach residents raised US$20,000 to pay for his tuition."

Gotta make a good impression if an entire community rallies around you to send you to college. And this was before GoFundMe!

• Like (+1) 8

I read about the families history a short while back, I too hope he can lead a life away from those sort of issues/circumstances, time will tell, in the mean time I will root for our new team members hoping for the best. 

Go Bills!!!

1 minute ago, wppete said:

Leave the guy alone. Can’t judge him on the sins of his father and uncle... He seems like a respectfully hard working young man. 

I don’t believe anyone is judging him, folk are just wanting the best for him. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I remember his uncle Matt as a rookie on the Ravens. He seemed to have the right attitude about things, took an internship at a shoe store to learn the business in case football "didn't work out". 

I'm not sure why he flaked out of the league so fast or if he made the right decisions afterwards. 

I did like that even though he was a 1st round pick he wasn't taking it lightly. 

If Kaiir has that type of guidance he should have a chance to flourish in life.

2 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

So that's all you got out of that entire post?

Good gravy... WTH

Let me double check.

16 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

So, he stole her phone and she stole his...was she also being charged?

Nope can't see where I said that at all.

3 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

I remember his uncle Matt as a rookie on the Ravens. He seemed to have the right attitude about things, took an internship at a shoe store to learn the business in case football "didn't work out". 

I'm not sure why he flaked out of the league so fast or if he made the right decisions afterwards. 

I did like that even though he was a 1st round pick he wasn't taking it lightly. 

If Kaiir has that type of guidance he should have a chance to flourish in life.

Wikipedia says Matt is still playing... in the CFL ever since Ravens let him go.

What's more shocking is that more of these guys don't get in trouble. I'm reading the list of first round rookie signings across the league. $30 mil guaranteed, $20 mil guaranteed. You are just handing someone who has never had money before a check for tens of millions of dollars. I don't know if I would have been responsible with that kind of loot as a 21 year old. I can only imagine the types of characters coming out of the woodwork with their hands out. It would be easy to make some bad choices and end up in some tough situations with people you shouldn't be hanging around with. The types of people we all hung out with at one point in our lives or another, and then as we matured we have likely distanced ourselves from those types of people that are going nowhere with their lives. Good luck to all of these guys and hopefully they have someone around them to help them make responsible decisions!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Rico said:

I only care about on-the-field results. I don’t remember his father in the league, but he better be a hell of a lot better than his uncle Matt was with the Ravens. :sick:

I remember when his Dad was a Jet. Doesn't seem that long ago.

4 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

What's more shocking is that more of these guys don't get in trouble. I'm reading the list of first round rookie signings across the league. $30 mil guaranteed, $20 mil guaranteed. You are just handing someone who has never had money before a check for tens of millions of dollars. I don't know if I would have been responsible with that kind of loot as a 21 year old. I can only imagine the types of characters coming out of the woodwork with their hands out. It would be easy to make some bad choices and end up in some tough situations with people you shouldn't be hanging around with. The types of people we all hung out with at one point in our lives or another, and then as we matured we have likely distanced ourselves from those types of people that are going nowhere with their lives. Good luck to all of these guys and hopefully they have someone around them to help them make responsible decisions!

Yeah, it's not uncommon in families that have a bit (or a lot) of money for the parents to put inheritance in some form of trust until the kid is 25, 30, 35...

It's not just that the kid may be irresponsible, it's all the friends and family who feel "it's nothing to you to help me out with..." (a new car, co-signing a lease).  $10k here, $30k there, $100k somewhere else pretty soon you're talking about real money.

Then of course there are all the new found "psychologists" who are anxious to become the "true friends" of people with money and help them invest, and the gold diggers (male and female) ready to help them have a good time.

2 minutes ago, CNY315 said:

Sure he'd appreciate you putting his family's business out there

Not to play the a-hole here (comes naturally, no playin) but all of these things are part of the public record. 

• Like (+1) 3

I was aware of it because Kaiir himself talked about it. He said he was determined not to fall into those ways and that he learned from their mistakes. 

I know firsthand that it is possible to make the decision to not be the same as your predecessors. It’s the best motivator. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, krf139 said:

Interesting how the Buffalo media reported none of this. Definitely should give the kid credit and the benefit of the doubt, but god forbid the pandering media actually mention it 

Pretty sure they did, it was discussed after he was drafted 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.