Bears sign Nate Peterman

Greg S

On 5/12/2022 at 11:27 AM, Special K said:

That might be true, but it’s pretty sad that there is more moral outrage for a guy that kneels for the anthem, then for the multitude of players, black and white, who beat their wives/girlfriends/kids, rape women, or threaten people with guns.......just sayin’.

I See No Lies

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/12/2022 at 12:27 PM, Special K said:

That might be true, but it’s pretty sad that there is more moral outrage for a guy that kneels for the anthem, then for the multitude of players, black and white, who beat their wives/girlfriends/kids, rape women, or threaten people with guns.......just sayin’.

I question the use of "moral" in that sentence. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/12/2022 at 11:46 AM, H2o said:

I will not defend Peterman. We all saw first hand how bad he was. Kaep was not blackballed because of racism. That's just an excuse everyone runs to. Denver was going to take him, even after kneeling, but wanted him to take a pay cut on a prove it type of scenario. He declined, the trade never happened, and he asked for his release from the 49ers. Seattle had offered him a backup job at one point and he declined because of money again. Don't pretend he didn't have options to continue playing or get back in the NFL. Let's also not forget that Kaep originally sat down on the bench for the anthem. He didn't start kneeling to draw attention to himself until after he had lost his starting gig to Blaine Gabbert. Kudos to him, his agent, and his girlfriend for throwing a spin on it real quick and capitalizing on the media attention. He's made more $$$ away from football than he would have playing the game with his lawsuits, endorsements, and other endeavors. In everything he did after that, portraying himself as a martyr and playing politics, of course they aren't going to be ringing his phone off the hook. Add to that the fact he was a 58% career completion guy, who was a system QB, and relied on his legs more than his arm. No one is going to be worried about him, especially since he was on the wrong side of 30 and the fact he would bring a circus with him. 

Actually, you're wrong about Kaep's progression of protest. He originally sat down on the bench, yes. But he started KNEELING based upon his consultations with a former special ops vet teammate, Nate Boyer, who suggested kneeling as a more noble/respectful gesture. The kneeling was intentionally meant to be effing respectful, because taking a knee IS IN FACT A RESPECTFUL GESTURE. The cultural outrage over this gesture is objectively NOT genuine. 

To be fair, though, positing a parallel between Nate Peterman signing for some minimum backup/camp arm deal in 2022 and Colin Kaepernick NOT signing suddenly, 5 years removed from playing, for something more akin to definite team TOP 2 QB depth chart money/opportunity is not exactly free of pre-existing agenda. 

I hate how Kaep became a pariah for his intentionally respectful and ultimately widespread method of protest, but I can't ignore his own initial reluctance to accept a significantly reduced-market value contract once things went south. It's not fair that he was so significantly downgraded so swiftly, but it's part of the complicated equation. I'm guessing he wouldn't allow himself to be lumped in with the Nate Petersons of the NFL landscape, and that prevented him from getting a foot in the door.

Edited by Richard Noggin
  • Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Actually, you're wrong about Kaep's progression of protest. He originally sat down on the bench, yes. But he started KNEELING based upon his consultations with a former special ops vet teammate, Nate Boyer, who suggested kneeling as a more noble/respectful gesture. The kneeling was intentionally meant to be effing respectful, because taking a knee IS IN FACT A RESPECTFUL GESTURE. The cultural outrage over this gesture is objectively NOT genuine. 

To be fair, though, positing a parallel between Nate Peterman signing for some minimum backup/camp arm deal in 2022 and Colin Kaepernick NOT signing suddenly, 5 years removed from playing, for something more akin to definite team TOP 2 QB depth chart money/opportunity is not exactly free of pre-existing agenda. 

I hate how Kaep became a pariah for his intentionally respectful and ultimately widespread method of protest, but I can't ignore his own initial reluctance to accept a significantly reduced-market value contract once things went south. It's not fair that he was so significantly downgraded so swiftly, but it's part of the complicated equation. I'm guessing he wouldn't allow himself to be lumped in with the Nate Petersons of the NFL landscape, and that prevented him from getting a foot in the door.

On 5/12/2022 at 9:36 AM, H2o said:

Exhibit A by the NFL: 

Josh Johnson, Tyler Huntley, Geno Smith, Jacoby Brissett, Josh Dobbs, Tyrod Taylor, Jordan Love, Kellen Mond, Feleipe Franks, PJ Walker. 

These are all QB's currently in the NFL that people on the Kaep hype train would argue he is better than, though he probably is not at this point. It has nothing to do with racism and everything to do with the fact he is 35, hasn't played in 6 years, only boasted a 58% career completion percentage prior to, and isn't worth the circus it would likely create. 

The post I quoted under yours was the original one I posted when people want to say it's because of "racism" he isn't in the league. I've heard the story about his conversation Nate Boyer, but his move was to draw attention to himself. He, his agent, and gf played the situation perfectly. Kaep was raised in the suburbs by his WHITE adoptive parents in Turlock, CA. He isn't from the southside of Chicago, or Jamaica Queens, or Compton, or Detroit, or any other place with high crime rates and first hand encounters of such situations. It was his ploy to make himself a face of something, anything, because he wasn't going to be the face of the 49ers or any other franchise. Kaep was/is clearly better than Peterman, but there's also something to say about what type of teammates people are and how they carry themselves. The reports about Nate have always been good, but his talent just is that of a 3rd string QB. What is Colin actually bringing to a QB room? Like I said before, he was a system QB, with a 58% career completion percentage, who relied on his legs more than his arm. Everything that he did outside of the game, with his supposed "attempts" to get back in the game, have all been more attention grabs and side circuses. His workout he scheduled, then moved because he wouldn't sign a standard waiver, and then gave his little speech afterwards portraying himself as some kind of martyr. Acting like playing football should be his right and teams should be obligated to sign him. The fact that he had already turned down offers was against him too. The side circus he would bring with him is another distraction. All of these things contributed to where he is at. Even still, he parlayed everything he has done into more $$$ than he would have seen playing in the NFL. The ship has sailed, all of the news is just rehashed, and his time passed long ago. People should really let it go. You see all kinds of "villains" and suspect people in sports. Many of them are still playing. You know why? Because those teams see the talent and ability as worth the perception or press battles they will have to fight. Kaepernick's talent level wasn't worth it or he'd still be in the league.  

Edited by H2o
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/11/2022 at 3:18 PM, dwight in philly said:

I am quite sure I am in the minority , but Peterman  just seemed like a victim of "bad luck" , for lack of a better term, in the SD game. Stuff happens, maybe he just "doesnt have it" , but so be it.. easy to pile on.. 

I will never stop believing that the O Line did not block for him in that SD game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Lfod said:

Nate Peterman still getting work? Some one better remind me that Colin Kaepernick still isn't getting a shot. 

Some day people are going to look past the politics/kneeling stuff and realize that Kaepernick was never a good NFL QB and another run of the mill back up type.

Better than Peterman? Sure, but there's a reason this guy has long been out of the league if you look closely.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Lfod said:

Nate Peterman still getting work? Some one better remind me that Colin Kaepernick still isn't getting a shot. 

Colin Kaepernick is not willing to go into camp as 3rd QB and likely to be cut and put on practice squad but you knew that right?

• Agree 1

On 5/12/2022 at 12:27 PM, Special K said:

It’s a weird dynamic to be sure.  On the other hand, it does show exactly what the franchises view as an unacceptable risk to reward ratio.  

Fair or not, Kap brings a real threat to any team that brings him in.  Let's say you bring him in as a starter.  If he struggles and you put your backup in, can you imagine the backlash?  You'd be called a racist, told the move was racially motivated and so on.

Likewise, if you bring him in as a backup there will be calls from some circles to put Kap in the moment the starter struggles.  And if you don't the race card would be put in play with people accusing you of being racist.

It's a headache for any franchise.  Why would they risk it.

19 hours ago, The Red King said:

Fair or not, Kap brings a real threat to any team that brings him in.  Let's say you bring him in as a starter.  If he struggles and you put your backup in, can you imagine the backlash?  You'd be called a racist, told the move was racially motivated and so on.

Likewise, if you bring him in as a backup there will be calls from some circles to put Kap in the moment the starter struggles.  And if you don't the race card would be put in play with people accusing you of being racist.

It's a headache for any franchise.  Why would they risk it.

It appears to satisfy Kap supporters that the NFL should have a lottery.  Have balls for each team put in with number of balls in reverse ratio to draft order (1 ball for Rams to 32 balls for Jaguars).  Balls are spun by a certified company not connected to NFL and Cam is given a contract for one year to that team PAID FOR BY NFL.  The team also gets an extra roster slot when he is on roster and one more for game days.  This would help team absorbing him deflect issues to NFL since they could say it was their decision to place him on team.  He could be traded to another team with his agreement and they would get the extra slot, salary paid by NFL, etc.

A well managed team finds way to use him even if he is just holder on FGs giving them capability for trick plays.  

A poorly managed team just demonstrates that they are a poorly managed team.

Cam could demonstrate that he could be an asset to a team without being a distraction and that he still wants to play NFL Football.

12 hours ago, Limeaid said:

It appears to satisfy Kap supporters that the NFL should have a lottery.  Have balls for each team put in with number of balls in reverse ratio to draft order (1 ball for Rams to 32 balls for Jaguars).  Balls are spun by a certified company not connected to NFL and Cam is given a contract for one year to that team PAID FOR BY NFL.  The team also gets an extra roster slot when he is on roster and one more for game days.  This would help team absorbing him deflect issues to NFL since they could say it was their decision to place him on team.  He could be traded to another team with his agreement and they would get the extra slot, salary paid by NFL, etc.

A well managed team finds way to use him even if he is just holder on FGs giving them capability for trick plays.  

A poorly managed team just demonstrates that they are a poorly managed team.

Cam could demonstrate that he could be an asset to a team without being a distraction and that he still wants to play NFL Football.

Understood, but that doesn't address the issues I noted.  The minute the starter falters Kap's supporters will call for him to go in, and rampage if that doesn't happen.  Having him on the team is an automatic QB controversy at this point.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.