Bears sign Nate Peterman

Greg S

3 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

That would be Patrick "breasts on a Bull" DiMarco.  (I used the "T" word, as in "useless as t's on a bull").

Yes, it would indeed be DiMarco, the guy we could never figure out the reason for why he had a roster spot.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I was at that game.  It wasn’t bad luck, it was a bad arm.  He just didn’t have the arm strength and it’s a major limitation.  

I would actually take EJ over Peterman.  That ain’t saying much though.  

He does have a weak arm, but there was bad luck too. If I remember correctly, he had two plays where he hit the WR who then promptly volleyball-set the football up to be intercepted.

It certainly wasn't good, but it also wasn't as bad as some wanted and continue to want to make it out to be.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, kenny3000 said:

just cause you don’t wanna count how many black qbs are in the league doesn’t make this not racism. 

I'm with him on this. There's racism in the league, particularly in terms of coaches and GMs, but perhaps also among backup QBs.

But Kaepernick is being blackballed not so much because he's black as because he's bad publicity and has been perceived (unfairly, but for many that is the perception) of being anti-anthem.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, dwight in philly said:

I am quite sure I am in the minority , but Peterman  just seemed like a victim of "bad luck" , for lack of a better term, in the SD game. Stuff happens, maybe he just "doesnt have it" , but so be it.. easy to pile on.. 

its just you. 

“Peterman struggled in the NFL, throwing five interceptions during the first half of his starting debut and posting a 0.0 passer rating in the 2018 season opener. His 12 interceptions between 2017 and 2018 are the most for a quarterback with less than 100 passing attempts.”

Career NFL statistics as of Week 5, 2021

TD–INT:3–12

Completion percentage:52.6

Passing yards:573

Passer rating:34.0

Rushing yards:84

Rushing touchdowns: 1

He sucks. 

16 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

I'm with him on this. There's racism in the league, particularly in terms of coaches and GMs, but perhaps also among backup QBs.

But Kaepernick is being blackballed not so much because he's black as because he's bad publicity and has been perceived (unfairly, but for many that is the perception) of being anti-anthem.

I think that’s the big miss a lot of people have. The media circus that will follow wherever he goes is a big pain for the whole team. I also highly doubt he’d sign with Chicago even if they offered decent money. He’s not taking fields job, and even if the kid got hurt there’s almost no talent on that offense. 

Also like to add maybe Nate isn’t a starting quarterback, but he’s a vet who has sat behind Derek carr and been in the film room with him for years now. Fields is in his second year and learning a new playbook. Maybe Nate has eyes on coaching or value off the field in the film room. Matt Barkley wasn’t a very positive signing on here the first time around but I’d venture to guess he helped Josh quite a bit during film. 

8 hours ago, Greg S said:

(13) Tom Pelissero on Twitter: "Free-agent QB Nathan Peterman is signing a one-year contract with the #Bears, per source. Peterman — who opened the 2018 season as the #Bills’ starter ahead of Josh Allen — spent the last few seasons with the #Raiders. Now, he joins Justin Fields and Trevor Siemian in Chicago." / Twitter

I don't know what this guy has got, but it must be "Catnip for Coaches"

He's like the QB equivalent of "Something About Mary"

• Haha (+1) 1

I've got to hand it to old plucky Peterman. I thought it was incredible that the Raiders took a chance on him. It's unfathomable that he's still in the NFL, on a 3rd team nonetheless. He's officially better than Nick Foles as far as the Bears are concerned. Man, how much has Foles been a complete disappointment the last oh 7 years of his career or so?

The one gigantic difference between the two however is that Foles certainly knows how to take money from teams. Peterman has pretty shockingly low career earnings figures for a QB. Nate just wants to be a good boy and excel in the pre-season for very little money apparently.

13 hours ago, Utah John said:

It isn't racism, exactly.  There are more black QBs in the league than I can count without doing more work than I want to.  Kaepernick is being blackballed because he insisted on bringing attention to a problem the NFL wanted kept quiet, and because a third of America foolishly believes everything Trump says.  Trump used Kaepernick's protest as one of his many wedge issues, and his followers lapped it up.  And now the cold-eyed NFL figures bringing Kaepernick back would not gain it anything and would cost it a lot of Trump's followers.  For a heartless, soulless, amoral league, this is an easy decision.

I dont think it is racism either because Geno Smith just started a few games last year. When it comes to talent, there is no doubt that Kaepernick could do more than Peterman.  In 2017 and 2018 I would have put Kaepernick in the same tier that Winston, Mariotta and Trubisky are currently in, Spot starter/good backup who would likely get one more chance to carry a team somewhere down the road..  

One other thing to consider is that Kaepernick focused more on his cause than training for football.   He lot a lot of weight after a year or two and was not in football shape or anywhere near it.    Many of these other quarterbacks are training non stop while networking, interviewing and trying out.   Kaepernick was removed from that scene.   A team needs someone who is in game shape and not going to get hurt if their starter goes down.  If Kaepernick was to get back in game shape, I dont see any problem with him getting a shot somewhere.

Edited by dgrochester55

16 hours ago, dwight in philly said:

I am quite sure I am in the minority , but Peterman  just seemed like a victim of "bad luck" , for lack of a better term, in the SD game. Stuff happens, maybe he just "doesnt have it" , but so be it.. easy to pile on.. 

He's absolutely an awful QB and amazing he keeps getting chances

16 hours ago, Special K said:

Colin Kaepernick’s attorneys could use the many chances and contracts Peterman has gotten coupled with a video of Petermans first half of his first start as a Bill as Exhibit A in a lawsuit against the NFL.

16 hours ago, kenny3000 said:

omg, it’s almost criminal that this guy can get signed before someone like CK who is just much, much, much, much, much better than him. This racism is very real. 

Exhibit A by the NFL: 

Josh Johnson, Tyler Huntley, Geno Smith, Jacoby Brissett, Josh Dobbs, Tyrod Taylor, Jordan Love, Kellen Mond, Feleipe Franks, PJ Walker. 

These are all QB's currently in the NFL that people on the Kaep hype train would argue he is better than, though he probably is not at this point. It has nothing to do with racism and everything to do with the fact he is 35, hasn't played in 6 years, only boasted a 58% career completion percentage prior to, and isn't worth the circus it would likely create. 

• Agree 2

There's something to be said for being a good teammate, another set of eyes on the field and in the film room. There are people who make others around them better with their attitude and expertise.

Being QB#3 is almost like being an assistant coach sometime and its not a bad gig. Barkley has also made a career out of it. I see Peterman in that mode. He was always likable, teachable and player friendly with a good mind for the game.  He just didn't have the physical tools, most notably his arm strength.  He could never place that out route quick enough or strong enough and it got picked a lot and he couldn't throw deep.  QB#1's nowadays have to be able to hit from anywhere on the field inside 20 yds and at least have enough juice to make them pay with a deep ball if they crowd the line.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

There's something to be said for being a good teammate, another set of eyes on the field and in the film room. There are people who make others around them better with their attitude and expertise.

Being QB#3 is almost like being an assistant coach sometime and its not a bad gig. Barkley has also made a career out of it. I see Peterman in that mode. He was always likable, teachable and player friendly with a good mind for the game.  He just didn't have the physical tools, most notably his arm strength.  He could never place that out route quick enough or strong enough and it got picked a lot and he couldn't throw deep.  QB#1's nowadays have to be able to hit from anywhere on the field inside 20 yds and at least have enough juice to make them pay with a deep ball if they crowd the line.

I think you hit the nail on the head with Peterman here....he's more of a 'student of the game', first in practice/last to leave type of player which is why McDermott loved him and gave him every opportunity to start again after the Chargers debacle his rookie year and despite drafting Allen with a premium 1st round pick. Also likely same reason Gruden was infatuated with him during his time on the Raiders as well because he really believed he could fit their offense and even add another element with his legs if Carr were to get hurt. There were even some Raiders fans that wanted Carr benched at one point for Peterman which is kind of crazy in hindsight because I think Carr is a top 5 - 10 QB in this league.

So while it may be unlikely at this point that Peterman ever sees the field as a legit NFL starter, he probably will have a long career as a backup and/or transition to a QB coach at some point sooner than later.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, H2o said:

Exhibit A by the NFL: 

Josh Johnson, Tyler Huntley, Geno Smith, Jacoby Brissett, Josh Dobbs, Tyrod Taylor, Jordan Love, Kellen Mond, Feleipe Franks, PJ Walker. 

These are all QB's currently in the NFL that people on the Kaep hype train would argue he is better than, though he probably is not at this point. It has nothing to do with racism and everything to do with the fact he is 35, hasn't played in 6 years, only boasted a 58% career completion percentage prior to, and isn't worth the circus it would likely create. 

My comment was more of a nod to how pathetic Peterman was than anything else, however thinking back to Josh’s rookie year, don’t you think it would have been better to have Kaep as a bridge QB until Josh was ready than having Peterman suck for a half of one game, then have to throw Josh out there right away? At that time Kaep was a way better option than Peterman IMO.

Kaep was blackballed by the NFL not because of racism, it’s because he knelt for the National Anthem...now is kneeling  for the anthem the best way to get your point across.....probably not, but it also doesn’t deserve the punishment of being completely shut out by the NFL.

23 minutes ago, Special K said:

My comment was more of a nod to how pathetic Peterman was than anything else, however thinking back to Josh’s rookie year, don’t you think it would have been better to have Kaep as a bridge QB until Josh was ready than having Peterman suck for a half of one game, then have to throw Josh out there right away? At that time Kaep was a way better option than Peterman IMO.

Kaep was blackballed by the NFL not because of racism, it’s because he knelt for the National Anthem...now is kneeling  for the anthem the best way to get your point across.....probably not, but it also doesn’t deserve the punishment of being completely shut out by the NFL.

I think Josh got a lot more out of playing in 12 games his rookie year than sitting on the bench.  Because of his drive, keeping a healthy Josh on the bench would not have helped him.  He had to make his rookie mistakes & learn what not to do.  You don't get game experience on the bench.  

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.