Whatever happened to Aaron Schobel?

Peevo

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

I'm not sure why.

Perhaps he desires to put the past behind him and would rather be doing other things. There are many things going on in the country and the world today that (imo) are much more strange than a man wanting to go on with his life.

Again, jmo.

Well, yes it does seem a bit odd to me. That is IF he has been invited to some of these functions. If not, then it doesn't seem odd at all. 

But if I'm getting your insinuation, someone can't "move on with their life" and still accept an invitation from a former employer or coworker for a charity event, or a reunion of some sort, on a rare occasion? 

And yes, there are many stranger things going on. So nothing is to be considered strange if other stranger things exist. I didn't realize that. Like I said, not a huge deal, but seems a bit odd to me. 

• Like (+1) 1

So, the food was good. I am a fried chicken fiend and it was the absolute hottest, freshest fried chicken I’ve ever had. Burned the ever-living hell out of my tongue. Good buffet overall and the staff knew everyone who entered the place by their first names. The kind of place I’d eat at regularly if it were closer. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Schobel was part of the 2001 Bills draft class— the first for Tom Donahoe. It was one of the best Bills’ drafts in the last 25 years. 

TD traded down in the first round and got Nate Clements. With the extra pick he got, he drafted Travis Henry in the 2nd round. He got Schobel in that round also. Also drafted Jonas Jennings in the 3rd, who became a starting LT, Ron Edwards— a solid rotational DL—, and Marques Sullivan— a solid starting guard. Even Brandon Spoon (later round pick) showed a ton of promise and started his rookie year— career was lost due to bad injury. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Schobel was part of the 2001 Bills draft class— the first for Tom Donahoe. It was one of the best Bills’ drafts in the last 25 years. 

TD traded down in the first round and got Nate Clements. With the extra pick he got, he drafted Travis Henry in the 2nd round. He got Schobel in that round also. Also drafted Jonas Jennings in the 3rd, who became a starting LT, Ron Edwards— a solid rotational DL—, and Marques Sullivan— a solid starting guard. Even Brandon Spoon (later round pick) showed a ton of promise and started his rookie year— career was lost due to bad injury. 

The problem with Ron Edwards was that Donahoe thought he could replace Pat Williams.   "The answer is on our roster", and he let Williams walk to Minnesota (Ralph was cheap)

Letting Pat Williams go was the biggest roster mistake of this century. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

The problem with Ron Edwards was that Donahoe thought he could replace Pat Williams.   "The answer is on our roster", and he let Williams walk to Minnesota (Ralph was cheap)

Letting Pat Williams go was the biggest roster mistake of this century. 

ap20321081239027.jpg

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

ap20321081239027.jpg

Sorry but a guard who didn't take the job.. got a fire lit under his ass when he was traded and improved

Doesn't constitute biggest mistake of a century lol 

He's nowhere near the type of guard Quinton Nelson or Zack Martin was In his prime 

He's a mauling run blocker who still has limitations pass blocking and we're a pass heavy team

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

Letting Pat Williams go was the biggest roster mistake of this century

PW was good.........but no.........that would be cutting Ted Washington.   

Washington had long been the identity of the Bills defense,  which was the side of the ball which drove their success from 1995 on.

They went from nearly impossible to run on with Washington at NT...........to impossibly bad in run defense overnight.

About 15 years of work building a winning culture was destroyed and the drought was immediately set in motion.

Washington jumped to Chicago and just like that the 5-11 Bears of Dick Jauron then went 13-3 and earned the #1 seed in the NFC.    He missed most of the next season injured and the Bears fell back to 4-12.:lol:

A year later he jumped to NE and anchored a SB winning defense.

Donahoe spent like crazy to try to build the run defense back up but even with PW and Sam Adams and Takeo Spikes etc............they couldn't bow up when they needed to and were instead known for lacking mental toughness/heart despite all of the high priced talent.

Washington was probably the freakiest NT of all time.........a LISTED 365#.........but actually always over 400# post 1997........34.5" arms and 11" hands.

The story Marcellus Wiley tells about Pat Williams pissing off Big Ted and ending up hog-tied with athletic tape on the locker room floor says it all about how physically dominant he was over everyone.

PW was a really nice player.........but he was basically a larger Kyle Williams........a really good gap shooter with great, quick hands.   He seemed to play consistently excellent forever in Minnesota........but then he got busted for juicing and we found out why.   

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

To me Schobel has been as noticeable post Bills career as he was against good LTs and against the run (that did actually matter circa 2005).  

Overrated player always was.  He'd be a backup with this current group if he was in his prime. 

I mean no disrespect to the person - I think Schobel was old school and an all around great human. 

But he didn't keep any offensive coordinators up at night.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, teef said:

he was arrested and is doing time for human trafficking.

Wow, did Teef finally cross the line for some TBD posters? With THIS obvious bit of absurdity? Comedy is indeed problematic for those who can't tell reality from satire (or from propaganda). 

Is it REALLY that unusual for pro bowl-ish players to leave the game and not look back? Schobel struck me as a country dude who has no use for outside attention. I actually LOVE that approach to a life that was previously lived IN the spotlight. Let him be wherever he is. Or don't. Whatever. Doesn't matter.

• Haha (+1) 2

Always seemed like a model train type of fella. Seriously though, even when he was hitting double digit sacks the general reaction was "meh, we're awful but I guess that's cool". It was like he was barely here even when he made the Pro Bowl, I'm not surprised that nobody knows anything about him nowadays.

Oddly the only thing I could find on him were IMDB entries, because apparently when you play football, you get an IMDB entry for the various prime time games and channels you played on during your career. How incredibly dumb.

15 hours ago, Mickey said:

I believe I saw an article a ways back saying he was running a diner called "Not Bad" in Mediocre City in Oregon. He drives a Ford and plays bass in an Eagles cover band called "Could be Worse".

I heard it was a Death Metal band called Metalapocalypse 😉😉

How'd like to be the guy chosen for he 2025 wall of fame honor, knowing that when they unveil your name on the wall, O.J.'s name has been up there more than 30 years after the murders, and your name will be in a pile of ruble in a matter of months? 😊

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoMAn said:

How'd like to be the guy chosen for he 2025 wall of fame honor, knowing that when they unveil your name on the wall, O.J.'s name has been up there more than 30 years after the murders, and your name will be in a pile of ruble in a matter of months? 😊

Not gulity

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Wow, did Teef finally cross the line for some TBD posters? With THIS obvious bit of absurdity? Comedy is indeed problematic for those who can't tell reality from satire (or from propaganda). 

I wonder if he was dabbling with the nitrous oxide? 🤔

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.