Whatever happened to Aaron Schobel?

Peevo

33 minutes ago, teef said:

he was arrested and is doing time for human trafficking.

30 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Kind of a strange joke...

And here I was going to guess Autoerotic Asphyxiation. 

• Haha (+1) 6

21 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Schobel belongs on the Wall of Fame.  Long overdue, in my opinion.

Nine seasons ... all with the Bills.  Played 16 games in 8/9 seasons.  Second all-time in sacks.  Awesome Buffalo Bill.

Sure, but I don't think the point of my post is sorta gaining traction.

He was a public figure for a decade on an NFL team, and now has 0 public presence.  That's certainly his prerogative.  But man, you'd think the 2nd all time sack leader would do a radio appearance once in a DECADE.

Has he ever come back to Buffalo for Jim Kelly's golf tournament or something?  That's what I'm talking about.  Like choosing to engage with the alumni community.  

It just doesn't make sense to me at all.

Edited by Peevo
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1

I sometimes joke that if I ever come into several million dollars, you'll never hear from me again.  (I think I might have stolen that from a Ron White joke.) If I did not have to work or live around people, I would buy myself some remote land along a lake and surround myself with the things I liked and the few people that I want to be around.  Schobel seems to be the kind of guy that did not like the spotlight and fame.  He did his job and now gets to enjoy a quiet life on the ranch.  Good for him!

Edited by HereComesTheReignAgain
  • Like (+1) 8

8 minutes ago, Peevo said:

Sure, but I don't think the point of my post is sorta gaining traction.

He was a public figure for a decade on an NFL team, and now has 0 public presence.  That's certainly his prerogative.  But man, you'd think the 2nd all time sack leader would do a radio appearance once in a DECADE.

Has he ever come back to Buffalo for Jim Kelly's golf tournament or something?  That's what I'm talking about.  Like choosing to engage with the alumni community.  

It just doesn't make sense to me at all.

I worked at the same place for nearly 19 years before I left and since then (2014), I've associated with/seen 5-6 former co-workers.

My guess is that he viewed football as his job and once he retired, he put it in the rearview mirror. 

• Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Yep, theres a big sign off I-10 for Schobel's.  Every time I drive past it I tell my wife how its connected to the Bills and say that one day we'll stop in for a bite but we both know thats a lie.  

https://www.schobelsrestaurant.com/our-story

I heard the food was "above average overall, won't knock your socks off but a good reliable staple".

1 hour ago, DrW said:

His family appears to have a restaurant in the Houston area. This guy got cards signed by him in 2020.

http://lee.n8d.com/2021/schobel-aaron/

It is in Columbus Tx.  Go into the restrooms and there is his Bills jersey and maybe a helmet.  His brothers also have their own restrooms.

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Yep, theres a big sign off I-10 for Schobel's.  Every time I drive past it I tell my wife how its connected to the Bills and say that one day we'll stop in for a bite but we both know thats a lie.  

https://www.schobelsrestaurant.com/our-story

Food is average with buffet or aka cart with large portions.  If driving by and hungry, worth the stop.  That stretch of road is lacking quality restaurants.

• Haha (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

FWIW he's a rancher outside his hometown of Columbus, TX and most of his family still live there (and run the namesake restaurant).

Not everyone is obsessed with being on social media and LinkedIn and broadcasting themselves to the world.

This isn't about obsession, this is about showing up every once in a while actually acting like you played for the Bills instead of nothing, ESPECIALLY someone who played for the team for that long. It's just very bizarre...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Peevo said:

A quick google search reveals literally 0 media appearances since his retirement. 

Which would be the same number he made when he was playing.

Aaron was not into the 'NFL media machine" thing.  He was a quite, hard working guy who let  his playing speak for itself.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Schobel always seemed like a quiet, reserved guy so I'm not surprised that he doesn't have much of a media presence.

He has extremely productive, but the team was pretty lousy during his tenure. 

In my opinion, if we have to debate whether a player is worthy of the Wall of Fame, then they're not. Hughes was a productive player, but the Bills WOF should be reserved for legendary players who won championships.

Also, we need to take OJ Simpson's name off the wall.

This will take care of itself in 4 years, no need to take it down, just don't put it up in the new stadium.

Edited by Steve O
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Snappysnackcakes said:

Funny…I just moved to Houston and made an overnight trip to San Antonio. On the way there, there was a sign for a restaurant- “Schoebel’s” and I thought…maybe it is. So I stopped and, sure enough, it was his family’s place. 

So don't keep us guessing, give us a review of the food

10 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

This isn't about obsession, this is about showing up every once in a while actually acting like you played for the Bills instead of nothing, ESPECIALLY someone who played for the team for that long. It's just very bizarre...

Oh boo hoo.   Schoebel is no different than Phil Hanson, Jim Ritcher, Shane Conlan, Joe Devlin, Nate Odems, Henry Jones, Ted Washington, Will Wolford....

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Schobel always seemed like a quiet, reserved guy so I'm not surprised that he doesn't have much of a media presence.

He has extremely productive, but the team was pretty lousy during his tenure. 

In my opinion, if we have to debate whether a player is worthy of the Wall of Fame, then they're not. Hughes was a productive player, but the Bills WOF should be reserved for legendary players who won championships.

Per the bold, if that were the case then nobody would be up there, except the players from the AFL championship years. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.