Whatever happened to Aaron Schobel?

Peevo

20 hours ago, Peevo said:

It's been forever since I've posted anything, but something struck a nerve when listening to Howard Simon this morning.

Howard and Jeremy were debating whether Jerry Hughes qualifies as a Wall of Famer, and Schobel's name inevitably came up.  Schobel has 55 more sacks than Hughes, despite being on TERRIBLE teams.

Schobel retired a career Bill, with 4 double-digit sack seasons, an All Pro, 2 Pro Bowl appearances.  

But yet, what the hell happened to the guy?  A quick google search reveals literally 0 media appearances since his retirement.  The last time his name was PUBLISHED in any sort of NFL media was 2010, regarding his retirement.  

The dude is a ghost.  

No charity events, no interviews, no signings/conventions/appearances of any kind that I can find.

And one could debate whether a player's community impact matters in the Wall of Fame discussion.

But I'd certainly argue being visible and proud of your career as a Bill SHOULD count in some ways.  Look at Stevie Johnson, Aaron Williams' social media feeds/NFL Draft appearances.  There's plenty of other examples.

Hell, even Marshawn Lynch "Lead the Charge" last season!  He was a Bill for like 3 seasons.

This dude played fulltime NFL football, at a very high level, FOR A DECADE. And never was heard from again.

I'd NEVER fault a man for performing well at a job he doesn't like.  That's life.

But I mean this sincerely, did Schobel ever actually like his job?  

Unless I'm bad at the internet, which is certainly possible, does ANYONE know anything about this guy since he left 12 years ago?

I guess you missed the story on his local home press saying that he was planning on changing his name and just getting away with all of the NFL and Press.  I am sure the NFLPA knows his new name and where he is living (as well as IRS) so he can still get the benefits but it appears he broke all of his old contacts so he could not be traced down.  

Oh in case you think I am joking MY name is G. Host as many of the board know and I used to work for IRS.

Oh and this old article is closest I have seen about him ending his career.

https://torotimes.com/2010/08/16/aaron-schobel-opts-to-retire/

FOX article theorizes about him not wanting to be replaced.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/bills-moving-forward-without-aaron-schobel

• Shocked 1

The guy WANTS to be left alone, hence the NOT appearing in public for anything related to the Bills or football in general. He completed his tour of duty and walked away from the game. Maybe he has preferred focusing on his three kids and wife instead of meeting someone else's expectations on what they think he needs to do to stay in the public eye and the "good graces" of certain Bills Mafia members. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Schobel was part of the 2001 Bills draft class— the first for Tom Donahoe. It was one of the best Bills’ drafts in the last 25 years. 

TD traded down in the first round and got Nate Clements. With the extra pick he got, he drafted Travis Henry in the 2nd round. He got Schobel in that round also. Also drafted Jonas Jennings in the 3rd, who became a starting LT, Ron Edwards— a solid rotational DL—, and Marques Sullivan— a solid starting guard. Even Brandon Spoon (later round pick) showed a ton of promise and started his rookie year— career was lost due to bad injury. 

Jonas Jennings is actually on the staff for Georgia and was on a radio interview before the national championship.

Forgot about him up until that interview.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Washington was probably the freakiest NT of all time.........a LISTED 365#.........but actually always over 400# post 1997........34.5" arms and 11" hands. 

Washington may be the largest man I've ever seen...at the 2000 Training Camp when I interned for a Rochester TV station.  Standing next to Pat Williams, he made him look somewhat normal.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, CNYfan said:

The problem with Ron Edwards was that Donahoe thought he could replace Pat Williams.   "The answer is on our roster", and he let Williams walk to Minnesota (Ralph was cheap)

Letting Pat Williams go was the biggest roster mistake of this century. 

I think that was a misconception about “letting Williams go.” We made him a good offer and tried to re-sign him. I don’t believe it was a situation where we just let him walk because we thought Edwards was the answer.

i will say though that Edwards really flashed. Just no consistency. 

On 5/11/2022 at 10:32 AM, Jauronimo said:

Yep, theres a big sign off I-10 for Schobel's.  Every time I drive past it I tell my wife how its connected to the Bills and say that one day we'll stop in for a bite but we both know thats a lie.  

https://www.schobelsrestaurant.com/our-story

Schobel's is in Columbus which is where I will be tomorrow afternoon.  They have kids sized portions for meals that would feed most adults, great fried chicken and an elaborate all you can eat buffet on the weekends.

Aaron has a ranch out there .

7 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Schobel's is in Columbus which is where I will be tomorrow afternoon.  They have kids sized portions for meals that would feed most adults, great fried chicken and an elaborate all you can eat buffet on the weekends.

image.thumb.jpeg.f0ce26ea3d3524a5e3804500243895ae.jpeg
"Screw you guys, and your team!  I'm going to Schobel's!"

• Haha (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I guess you missed the story on his local home press saying that he was planning on changing his name and just getting away with all of the NFL and Press.  I am sure the NFLPA knows his new name and where he is living (as well as IRS) so he can still get the benefits but it appears he broke all of his old contacts so he could not be traced down.  

Oh in case you think I am joking MY name is G. Host as many of the board know and I used to work for IRS.

Oh and this old article is closest I have seen about him ending his career.

https://torotimes.com/2010/08/16/aaron-schobel-opts-to-retire/

FOX article theorizes about him not wanting to be replaced.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/bills-moving-forward-without-aaron-schobel

In writing I can not tell if this is serious or not. I caught "ghost" but the rest I'm on the fence.

Schobel isn't exactly a household name. He gunna get recognized twice a year.

Nope, I think you're full of it and I don't care if I'm stupid for entertaining the idea 😆

On 5/11/2022 at 11:53 AM, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

FWIW he's a rancher outside his hometown of Columbus, TX and most of his family still live there (and run the namesake restaurant).

Not everyone is obsessed with being on social media and LinkedIn and broadcasting themselves to the world.

Agreed.  

However, I do believe if a good number of us protest outside his home in Columbus, TX, peaceably mind you, I believe we will be successful in getting him to change his mind from being the reserved private citizen and country Texan who enjoys his quiet life now to someone who is more interested in our needs and desires as a fandom, which means being part of our lives, but only when we feel like it, in...oh, I don't know, maybe a week?

Now, please don't bug me while I make the "Why the **** aren't you around, ***hole!  We love you!" placards...where did I put the red and blue markers?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Agreed.  

However, I do believe if a good number of us protest outside his home in Columbus, TX, peaceably mind you, I believe we will be successful in getting him to change his mind from being the reserved private citizen and country Texan who enjoys his quiet life now to someone who is more interested in our needs and desires as a fandom, which means being part of our lives, but only when we feel like it, in...oh, I don't know, maybe a week?

Now, please don't bug me while I make the "Why the **** aren't you around, ***hole!  We love you!" placards...where did I put the red and blue markers?

Peaceably but loudly Donuts! The key here is to disturb enough of his family’s circadian rhythms that he will joyfully see the light that much quicker, imho. Some of us can’t protest all weekend there, ya know? 

• Haha (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Agreed.  

Outstanding post.

Just outstanding.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Schobel was part of the 2001 Bills draft class— the first for Tom Donahoe. It was one of the best Bills’ drafts in the last 25 years. 

TD traded down in the first round and got Nate Clements. With the extra pick he got, he drafted Travis Henry in the 2nd round. He got Schobel in that round also. Also drafted Jonas Jennings in the 3rd, who became a starting LT, Ron Edwards— a solid rotational DL—, and Marques Sullivan— a solid starting guard. Even Brandon Spoon (later round pick) showed a ton of promise and started his rookie year— career was lost due to bad injury. 

Yes, that was without a doubt the best draft of the "lean" era. It was also the only draft in the Donahoe/Levy/Brandon era in which Tom Modrak did not participate (he was hired a few months AFTER the 2001 draft). Makes you wonder...

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I think that was a misconception about “letting Williams go.” We made him a good offer and tried to re-sign him. I don’t believe it was a situation where we just let him walk because we thought Edwards was the answer.

i will say though that Edwards really flashed. Just no consistency. 

Some here have better memories of Ron Edwards than I.  I guess.

25 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

Some here have better memories of Ron Edwards than I.  I guess.

haha— maybe I am way off. I just have these vivid memories of Edwards penetrating and disrupting a few plays. Maybe it was 1 play?! And he did end up playing in the NFL for like 11 years. 

I would call him a “decent situational d-lineman,” and he probably lived up to his pick as a third rounder. 

He was always more of a loner, I remember him hitting golf balls on the grass practice field before training camp practice, working on his short game.  His retirement was a shock, since he wasn’t very old and he was playing well.  But if my memory serves me right, we switched to a 3-4 and he didn’t want to be an OLB

On 5/11/2022 at 11:32 AM, Jauronimo said:

Yep, theres a big sign off I-10 for Schobel's.  Every time I drive past it I tell my wife how its connected to the Bills and say that one day we'll stop in for a bite but we both know thats a lie.  

https://www.schobelsrestaurant.com/our-story

I stopped at the Schobel family restaurant on NFL opening day in 2002. I expected to see the game on TV there. But there was no trace of the NFL. 

This was even the opening day for the new Houston Texans franchise. Again, nothing.

The Schobel family must stay home on Sundays and watch the games. Seemed weird to me.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.