Whatever happened to Aaron Schobel?

Peevo

57 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I’m so glad Schobel is held so highly on this board, he was bashed all the time on BBMB and his accomplishments were devalued. People used to say he got garbage time sacks, and that was proven to be untrue. 

He did some interview with the team for legends day a few years ago, otherwise I think he’s living a quiet life. 

I remember a rumor he wanted to come out of retirement when the team signed Mario Williams, can you imagine that DL?

I remember this being a big deal on these boards even with rumored visits but it never happened and made me very sad, A-A-RON was one of my favorite players 

• Sad 1

Schobel's very premature retirement was the product of the Bills incredible dysfunction at the time.

When Marv took over as GM he put on his paper hat and apron and walked around the locker room hand taking orders for which teams players wanted to be traded to and pretty soon that rat-fink agent Eugene Parker set up shop in there to cash in on their weak-willed management team.

By the time Buddy Nix took over Schobel was demanding that he be able to just fly in for game days to play.  :lol:

Buddy was no genius but he knew sh*t was totally out of control with the players leading the organization around by the d*ck so knew he had to call Schobel's bluff.

So being stubborn as a Texas mule........and sick of the losing........Schobel retired to the restaurant life.

I know he considered joining the Patriots but Buddy wouldn't relinquish his rights.

Probably why we will never see Schobel around again.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

This isn't about obsession, this is about showing up every once in a while actually acting like you played for the Bills instead of nothing, ESPECIALLY someone who played for the team for that long. It's just very bizarre..

This is about obsession, yours. Nothing bizarre about it. Where's Joe D? Where's Big Ted? I could go on and on.

2 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I guess everyone’s tightening their belts in this economy 

Outstanding!!!

Actually I think the OP has a point, if it is try that Schobel has NEVER returned for ANY team, or former teammate, event since he left the Bills.  I don't know if that's the case, but that seems to be what has been posited.

One can have a perfectly normal, non football life, but still make the OCCASIONAL appearance, I think.  If he has returned a time or two, then this isn't that bizarre. If he has never accepted an invitation to return, that strikes me a bit odd

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

19 minutes ago, The Dean said:

If he has never accepted an invitation to return, that strikes me a bit odd

I'm not sure why.

Perhaps he desires to put the past behind him and would rather be doing other things. There are many things going on in the country and the world today that (imo) are much more strange than a man wanting to go on with his life.

Again, jmo.

Schobel, Kelsey, and Ryan Denney meet every Friday to discuss motors and over achieving, 

In all seriousness, he was a very good player for us in that era. Most these guys really struggle with losing the competition, spotlight, and purpose when careers end. The fact that we don't hear much likely means he is a well adjusted individual that is living his life the way he wants. If that's the case, good for him. 

Edited by KzooMike
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Schobel always seemed like a quiet, reserved guy so I'm not surprised that he doesn't have much of a media presence.

He has extremely productive, but the team was pretty lousy during his tenure. 

In my opinion, if we have to debate whether a player is worthy of the Wall of Fame, then they're not. Hughes was a productive player, but the Bills WOF should be reserved for legendary players who won championships.

Also, we need to take OJ Simpson's name off the wall.

Scorned was a heck of a player, but agree not worth the Wall.  I mentioned earlier if anyone during a crappy period would be Moulds.

As far as OJ, he’s by yards in one year the best of all time.  I sent over a year ago, he has the most per game of all time.  2003 yards in 14 games was incredible.

Hes a rotten human being, but he was on the Wall and the HOF for what he did on the field, not off years later.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.