Boogie Basham optimism

YoloinOhio

11 hours ago, krf139 said:

I remember how 90 percent of this board was gushing with optimism about Epenesa after the Miami game last year. Let’s wait and see how Basham performs over the course of the season. I’ll believe it when I see it…. consistently 

Things are never predictable. Motor going into his second year was catching all the praise and running up hills in Florida heat up the thruway hills.... then he dropped a steaming coil.

Then going into last year, we saw the off season stuff again and everyone was all "I fell for that last year, he is what he is," Moss was going to take his spot --he came on strong at end of rookie year...

Then Singletary came out playing with a physicality we hadn't seen, looking explosive (for him), and Moss looked like **** last year lolllll

AJE is in my camp of don't expect much of anything right now, so maybe he flips us on our head.

Heck, last off season Knox was on everyone's 💩 list. There were plays you could see him turn it on, and it was just enough to keep you excited, and then he dropped balls and disappeared. 365 days ago half the board was ready to move on.

We have one helluva coaching staff and it shows seeing some of these guys refinement. As fans, we weren't used to seeing players develop.

20 years where at the end of a players 2nd year, he was at his glass ceiling and no way to go up. 

There's hope for AJE, Boogie, certainly Rousseau, and I low key expect Dane Jackson to be one the hottest surprise in TC. Heading into 3rd year, and a full off-season of him hearing "who are we gunna draft" to put Dane on the bench.

Dude got a taste of starting last year, got a great head on his shoulders... I bet that competitive fire is absolutely blazing. I feel like he gets lost in the mix of young players we expect to take the next step. I hope he hears and senses that too 💪

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Shaq Lawson was a healthy scratch for the JETS in the last couple games and was cut heading into week 18. I'm not expecting him to have more than a minimal role on the team. Basham has inside/outside versatility. I'll be surprised if he's a healthy scratch at any point, unless he just doesn't put the work in. If anything it would be Lawson and Epenesa competing for the final active spot on gameday.

Last year we rostered 6 DEs. This year we appear to only have 5 rosterable DEs so I'm not entirely sure what the plan is. Maybe they don't plan on rotating Von Miller nearly as much as they usually rotate the DEs so they're comfortable rostering one less player. But I'm pretty sure they had 5 DEs active on gamedays last year so I think those 5 will all be active nearly every game.

Then we'd only have 4 rosterable edge rushers, unless we're counting Mike Love... I'm kind of surprised we haven't added another DE in the vein of Quinton Jefferson or Efe Obada. It's a really thin position group with basically no margin for injury.

Phillips has played outside for us before successfully, and Oliver was playing outside successfully last year. I don't think this defense requires the "positions" of the line to have a major influence on its success

19 hours ago, GolfandBills said:

I like Bashams potential.  He’s a powerful rusher if he can refine some techniques issues he’ll be a good player for us  

I agree. I think this season will be very telling for mr Basham. I think  Our D Line will be fearsome this  season I cannot wait!

7 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

The bolded is a reasonable counter. That wording of mine DOES seem to carry bias.

However, it looks like he ended the season 4th on the depth chart, ahead of Epenesa. And now with two major subtractions, and one major addition and another reunion, his status would likely be the same or one higher (still slightly ahead of Epenesa and possibly ahead or even with Shaq). Depends how we view Lawson's opportunity on a cheap one-year vet deal versus Basham's value on year two of a cheap rookie deal. Either way, he cannot be assumed to be 5th on the depth chart. It just isn't substantiated currently. 

agreed we can’t assume how those three will slot out- all I was saying is there’s a chance he could be behind the others even in a good off-season. Great problem to have but would again just tie to keeping reasonable expectations that he could be playing well and still challenged with limited reps. 

I think someone could be frustrated in an AJE or shaq thread if I slotted then 5th for discussion sake too. Someone we want to cheer for will be inactive if everyone is healthy. 

11 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

I get it, but as far as Bills go there's going to be 1 of them starting. With Hughes gone there's not a starter on that end left to dislodge. Boogie will rotate here and there, but Greg R likely will start opposite of Miller.

Maybe the reason that Hughes is gone is because the Bills feel that Basham and/or  AJE are capable of replacing him.

10 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Knox came in on his third year.  We’ll see.  I wouldn’t worry about it.

Totally agree.  QB isn't the only position where young players frequently step up big in their second or third seasons.  A lot of college players made their draft slots based on their superior physical talent.   In the pros, they not only have to learn new/better techniques and get their bodies into NFL playing shape, but they have to learn the way their opponents play the game to figure out how to be really effective, and they only gain that knowledge with experience, not only on the field but also in analyzing film.  It takes a while.

• Like (+1) 1

He's a Shaq Lawson-esque type of player (post surgery Shaq in Buffalo).

I really wanted Basham in the draft and when they took Rousseau I thought it wouldn't happen. Then they nabbed him in the 2nd!

Boogie will be fine and I'm glad he'll have Shaq to mentor him and push him this season.

44 minutes ago, Kaenon said:

He's a Shaq Lawson-esque type of player (post surgery Shaq in Buffalo).

I really wanted Basham in the draft and when they took Rousseau I thought it wouldn't happen. Then they nabbed him in the 2nd!

Boogie will be fine and I'm glad he'll have Shaq to mentor him and push him this season.

I'm not really high on Boogie. He can be a decent player but he's not elite or special in my mind. Hopefully, he can develop and help the defense. I never really liked this 2nd round pick. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Magox said:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know where Lombardo is hearing the "optimism" on Basham?

I hadn't heard it, not doubting him just that I hadn't heard it from anywhere.

I agree. You think Bills fans would be knowledgeable about his so called optimism. Seems like an odd tweet to me. Basically, you can literal plug any name in there and I suppose it could apply. Also, why didn't he site any sources? I question the credibility of the tweet. 

14 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I agree. You think Bills fans would be knowledgeable about his so called optimism. Seems like an odd tweet to me. Basically, you can literal plug any name in there and I suppose it could apply. Also, why didn't he site any sources? I question the credibility of the tweet. 

I'm sure Lombardo woke up yesterday and thought to himself, "I think I will just make up some s*** about Boogie Basham today..."

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

I'm sure Lombardo woke up yesterday and thought to himself, "I think I will just make up some s*** about Boogie Basham today..."

Who knows? Seems like a weird tweet and he backs it up with nothing. Add on this board here with so many knowledgeable fans  haven't heard of such recent optimism elsewhere. 

Edited by newcam2012

6 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Who knows? Seems like a weird tweet and he backs it up with nothing. Add on this board here with so many knowledgeable fans  haven't heard of such recent optimism elsewhere. 

Not sure why the tweet is so weird to you, or why you need him to cite sources. I'm sure he heard something form someone, no matter how vague, that they were expecting bigger things from Basham this year. Honestly, it's not like he tweeted that he heard Basham was going to be starting over Von Miller....

It would seem more strange to me if he just made it up

36 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

It’s also not like we’ve had some super intense camp. 

he finished the season strong and he’s not taking the off-season for granted is the extent of any optimism and I don’t doubt some coaches or teammates said that 

8 minutes ago, BTB said:

Big year for Boogie, AJ and Rousseau.  Let’s see who can separate themselves from the pack come training camp.  

Rousseau already has - but a matter of holding it 

2 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

Don't you see, that's the genius of it. If he had said Josh Allen, you'd know he's making it up.

/end Seinfeld reference

• Haha (+1) 1

Basham has value in that he can play multiple positions and is sort of a safety net as the 9th DL. Of course, that means he won't dress every game which would be disappointing (if not unsurprising) in his soph season.

I have zero interest in ever seeing Lawson and Phillips in Bills unis again. Pulling for Ankou to steal a roster spot which may bump Basham closer to the regular rotation.  

15 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Fair enough. But of course, there is also a real chance that he absolutely does dress and play every game.

Dunno which is more likely. We'll have to see.

My guess is it's somewhere between those two.

I think this will have more to do with AJ than Boogie.  I think Boogie is what he is, solid depth.  No one has any clue what AJ is. He seems to be trash and if that’s the case, boogie will play regardless. I don’t think Boogie will ever be trash, but just a solid backup DE.  

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

Not sure why the tweet is so weird to you, or why you need him to cite sources. I'm sure he heard something form someone, no matter how vague, that they were expecting bigger things from Basham this year. Honestly, it's not like he tweeted that he heard Basham was going to be starting over Von Miller....

It would seem more strange to me if he just made it up

Why Basham? It could have been 10 to 15 other players named. Don't reporters usually use and name sources to add credibility to their statements? It is odd to me that he tweets out the name Barham and no one else. Especially, when he's really not on anyone's radar nor have we heard this news anywhere. Almost seema like a " PR" move. Maybe I'm wrong...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.