Boogie Basham optimism

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

So they drafted another college power rusher then tried to turn him into a speed rusher, is that what we are supposed to take from the "weight under control" line? If they did, then one of Boogie or AJE better kick on. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

I'm excited about all the young DE's.  Thinking about all the Bills draft picks that took big steps in year 3, I would certainly expect Epenesa to have a similar jump.  Also the fact the Groot had a bf Rookie year should bode well, I just hope he doesn't got he other way into a Sophomore slump?

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

So they drafted another college power rusher then tried to turn him into a speed rusher, is that what we are supposed to take from the "weight under control" line? If they did, then one of Boogie or AJE better kick on. 

We don’t know what weight under control means.  He looked to be carrying some bad weight last year.  If he drops 10 LBs of fat while maintaining strength, that doesn’t seem like a bad thing.

• Agree 5

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

For the film watchers… is there a reason NOT to be optimistic? Or is it that based on him being buried in the rotation/relegated to inactive sometimes?

Personally I think Boogie can be a good starting "big end" in the NFL in a similar way to how Shaq played for us in 2019 before he left for Miami. He can stop the run, push the pocket some and get some clean up production where Von, Greg, Ed have made things happen and flushed QBs out. I think that sort of sack production Shaq had in his final year - 6/6.5 sacks - is about where you can realistically hope he gets but that is probably his ceiling. I don't think he can be a difference making pass rusher. He doesn't have an explosive first step and he lacks the technique especially with his hands to win consistently against good NFL tackles. That was pretty much where I was on him coming out and I haven't seen anything yet to make me doubt that. Let's see how the body transformation goes. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Basham had just one sack fewer than Rousseau despite playing less than half the number of snaps as Greg (531-201)

I think there's a realistic chance that Boogie could end up being the better player in the long run.

Edited by Allen2Diggs
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Disagree 3
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Dislike 2

8 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

I think this is the year we are bound to have some luck finally with at least a couple of these lineman panning out.  I keep seeing stuff from Washington fans that Tim Settle is going to be a great player as well.

I know a lot of people hate PFF, but they rated Settle prior to 2020 season as one of the best run stopping DT’s in the NFL.  We didn’t grab him to sack people, but to stop guys like Henry from penetrating and blowing it out like that one play last year.  Last year we had him under 2 yards a carry until he broke out.  Jackson is also known for these abilities.

Oliver and Phillips are our penetrators.  Phillips may get back to form from when here with 9.5 sacks as a DT.  That’s rare.

• Like (+1) 1

Honestly, I really liked what I saw from him when he was on the field. He just wasn’t on the field very much. I think he winds up being the Charles Johnson of the Carolina rotation. Not a game changing player, but a very solid all around player who will wind up

in the 6-10 sack range every year. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I know a lot of people hate PFF, but they rated Settle prior to 2020 season as one of the best run stopping DT’s in the NFL.  We didn’t grab him to sack people, but to stop guys like Henry from penetrating and blowing it out like that one play last year.  Last year we had him under 2 yards a carry until he broke out.  Jackson is also known for these abilities.

Oliver and Phillips are our penetrators.  Phillips may get back to form from when here with 9.5 sacks as a DT.  That’s rare.

Yeah I was really sad to see Harrison Phillips leave but I've kinda come around on an optimistic feeling Settle might be an upgrade there.

• Agree 3

19 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Personally I think Boogie can be a good starting "big end" in the NFL in a similar way to how Shaq played for us in 2019 before he left for Miami. He can stop the run, push the pocket some and get some clean up production where Von, Greg, Ed have made things happen and flushed QBs out. I think that sort of sack production Shaq had in his final year - 6/6.5 sacks - is about where you can realistically hope he gets but that is probably his ceiling. I don't think he can be a difference making pass rusher. He doesn't have an explosive first step and he lacks the technique especially with his hands to win consistently against good NFL tackles. That was pretty much where I was on him coming out and I haven't seen anything yet to make me doubt that. Let's see how the body transformation goes. 

Yep he’s a power/hustle guy.  Shaq has made a decent enough career of it and probably would’ve been better off as a late second rounder who had to prove himself.  Ironically Boogie now has Shaq to learn from.  No reason he can’t carve out a role.

OTOH, we heard the same May hype about Epanesa in 2021…

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.