RIP Bob Lanier NBA

CowgirlsFan

I have the box scores in my notebook of the games to the final four. Used to listen to the local radio hear Murphy and bob go at it. So sad

Greg Gary, matt gantt, billy kalbaugh and jimmy sattelin.

On 5/11/2022 at 8:26 AM, BobbyC81 said:

I started following sports in 1970 and experienced Bob Lanier and Calvin Murphy as All Americans and the Bonnies going all the way to the Semifinals of the NCAA Tournament.   Little did I know then that it was the zenith for Western New York college basketball.  Good memories.

Canisius recruiting Larry Fogle to transfer there a few years later gave hope, only to end up crumbling due to violations.

My Dad used to take me and my brother to Little 3 games at the Aud.  I was really young for Lanier/Murphy, but definitely remember seeing Fogle.  I had a cousin who attended Canisuis then and I remember asking him what Fogle was like and he said no one knew because he never went to class 😛  

On 5/11/2022 at 10:20 AM, Wacka said:

I remember the press saying that if Lanier wouldn't have gotten hurt, the chances were pretty good that the Bonnies would have won the NCAA.

We will never know, but they would have played UCLA in the championship game. They were a monster powerhouse back then, and were in the midst of a 7 year run as champions(and 10 in 12). 

22 minutes ago, stevewin said:

My Dad used to take me and my brother to Little 3 games at the Aud.  I was really young for Lanier/Murphy, but definitely remember seeing Fogle.  I had a cousin who attended Canisuis then and I remember asking him what Fogle was like and he said no one knew because he never went to class 😛  

The one and only time I saw a college game in the Aud was Canisius with Larry Fogle vs. (I think) Fairfield. No crowd at all, we sat so close to the center court, great seats.

• Like (+1) 1

RIP Bob Lanier. Great player.  He was a big man that could shoot.  The Bonnie’s had a real shot at the NCAA title with him in the line up.  

I miss the Little 3 and wish the teams could have kept it together at a high level, expanding into a bigger division.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.