Which Rookie CB will have the best career? (Poll)

KDIGGZ

Which Rookie CB will have the best career? (Poll)  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Which Rookie CB will have the best career? (Poll)

• Stingley
    • Gardner
    • McDuffie
    • Elam
    • Booth
    • Gordon
    • Other

47 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I don't think it's ever been outright said. But if you take Beane at his word and read between the lines of his actions - it's pretty obvious.

It would be ridiculous to think Beane had a 2nd Round grade on Sauce Gardner and Derek Stingley who were gone in the first 4 picks. So there's two right there.

Beane was patient, stood firm, and let the board fall to him as long as McDuffie and Elam were both still on the board. The second McDuffie came off the board at 21, he started making calls to move up. I don't think this is a coincidence.

He stated he couldn't get a deal done at 22 and ended up pulling the trigger at 23 for Elam. Of whom he said was "the last player left on the board we had a 1st Round grade on". So that would be your 4.

Now if Elam was gone too and we went with Gordon, Booth, or McCreary do I think it's possible he still would have said they were "the last player left on the board with a 1st Round grade"? It's possible. But again, if we're taking him at his word - it sure paints a picture that he only had 4 CB's with Round 1 grades.

Why would anyone take an NFL GM at his word about the draft?  Before it, after it, whatever.  Every one of them say the same things about all of their picks.  It means nothing. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I touched on this in the last paragraph of my post.

Sure, but you are still operating under the assumption that Beane is being forthcoming.  Two years in a row he said he got the last guy he had a first round grade on.  :Eyeroll

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

The Bills had 4 CB's with 1st round grades in this year's draft.  But which rookie CB do YOU think will have the best career?  Who you got?

What's your metrics for "best career"?  

Okay so 'Tre is an all-pro corner who undeniably was coached up and self motivated. I see Elam as another self motivated corner with even better "measurables". I can see playing Elam press and shift the zone to White's side and let our pass rush finish it out. Things are looking very bright , there is a clear vision here....I trust the process. The last few drafts a CB didn't fall our way that was a 1st on our board, this year BB didn't let the last one slip by and moved up to snag him. The "stale" D that we have played in the past to cover  CB2's deficiencies is in the past. The play book opens up now boys.....I'm not even taking into consideration what Josh is about to drop this year....I feel it, in everything he has said and done. Playoff Josh is coming in September this year Boys, we are going to be just fine.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

We never got the full 30 list so we don't know that McDuffie wasn't brought in. But we do know they met with him at the Combine like they did Elam. And again, his being patient and then getting proactive only after McDuffie came off the board paints a picture to me that he was cool with letting the board come to him and taking one at 25. Though that's not to say he would have picked McDuffie over Elam if both were available to him. 

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2022/5/7/23059841/buffalo-bills-tried-to-trade-up-to-22-to-snag-cb-kaiir-elam-but-settled-for-23

McDuffie was not brought in for a visit. I have had that confirmed by two other people. 

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I wanted Booth but was fine with Elam.  I think the Vikings got a steal in the 2nd if he stays healthy.

Agree. My answer on the card to this poll is Andrew Booth. I have thought he was the best corner in this class since I did my deep dive on the corners back in January. 

Stingley is a talented guy, Sauce had a great college career, Elam has a great chance with this staff and organisation and the two Washington kids are darn talented guys too. 

But I think Andrew Booth was the best corner in the draft and without knowing how serious his medicals are I would go for him to be the best of these guys in the NFL. 

4 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Why would anyone take an NFL GM at his word about the draft?  Before it, after it, whatever.  Every one of them say the same things about all of their picks.  It means nothing. 

Ha. Jerry said he picked a first rounder then showed us his board that proved he hadn't....

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

McDuffie was not brought in for a visit. I have had that confirmed by two other people.

No surprise.  In this age of the internet and social media and the number of people who professionally or casually follow the Bills, it would have been reported somewhere.  And there was no reason to keep it a secret.

9 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I don't think it's ever been outright said. But if you take Beane at his word and read between the lines of his actions - it's pretty obvious.

It would be ridiculous to think Beane had a 2nd Round grade on Sauce Gardner and Derek Stingley who were gone in the first 4 picks. So there's two right there.

Beane was patient, stood firm, and let the board fall to him as long as McDuffie and Elam were both still on the board. The second McDuffie came off the board at 21, he started making calls to move up. I don't think this is a coincidence.

He stated he couldn't get a deal done at 22 and ended up pulling the trigger at 23 for Elam. Of whom he said was "the last player left on the board we had a 1st Round grade on". So that would be your 4.

Now if Elam was gone too and we went with Gordon, Booth, or McCreary do I think it's possible he still would have said they were "the last player left on the board with a 1st Round grade"? It's possible. But again, if we're taking him at his word - it sure paints a picture that he only had 4 CB's with Round 1 grades.

Great, clear and specific analysis here.  Thanks.

Nice!

I think Elam has the best opportunity to have a great season.  I have two reasons.  First, he should be playing most of the season across from Tre White, who is a consensus top five CB in the league.  As long as White can demonstrate that he's healthy and confident after his ACL injury, opponents will likely avoid attempting to pass to White's side. By the way, Buffalo also has one of the best slot corners in the league.  Consequently, Elam is likely to get tested early and often.  That will only be exacerbated by Buffalo's high scoring offense.  Buffalo has to potential to force opponents to play catch up.  That means more passing and less running.  An improved run defense from the Bills would help too.

20 minutes ago, without a drought said:

You better get this right because I'm bumping this post in 12 years and will be calling out all the bad takes.

If we recall this, maybe I should change the "What's" in my post to "What are".  I went and made "metric" plural and forgot to change the rest.  Duh

14 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Elam because of his situation + talent. He is so lucky to be CB2 and have Tre as his mentor and McDermott/Frazier/Butler. 

Plus the best safety tandem in the league, along with one of the top Nickle corners...other than a guaranteed healthy Tre I honestly can't think of a better situation for a talented rookie corner to walk into.

As for Tre being a mentor, how cool was it seeing Tre interacting with Elam in the video the team put out?  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.